200mW NewWish laser from DX.com review (by unpro Sean)

seanrolsen

Newly Enlightened
I received my 200mW greenie from DX.com today. I promised a few that I would do my best to post a review. Please just post a question if you would like to have it answered, and I will do my best to test it in that respect.

It arrived aok, with nothing missing. I first used the alkaline batteries it shipped with, and the beam is not visable in a well lit room with windows. I purchased Energiser Lithiums, and the beam IS visable in the same room. I also have some energiser titaniums, bought because it said it had E2 technoligy, and were much cheaper, so I am using those first. I have lit a match from a distance of one inch in about half of a second. From 8.5 inches, it took about 5 seconds to light a match. Wally-World was out of black baloons when I went (?), and so I don't have any to test at the moment. I will edit this post when I get some.

Again,

I will edit this post and update with pictures. I will do my best to make any requests to help everyone understand this laser.

Updates:
  • I was not able to light a black match beyond 12 inches with fresh alkies.
  • The beam is at it's smallest point about 2.5 feet from laser. I will be testing the power of the more columnated beam later.
  • There is power fluctuations, but it only gets brighter after I turn it on.
  • There is no split beam on this laser
PHOTOS HERE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanrolsen/

Last edited:

SenKat

Enlightened
Re: 200mW NewWish laser review (by unpro Sean)

Seanrolsen - buy a black Sharpie marker at Wally World, and any color balloon will fall prey to your laser ! :naughty:

I sharpie matches as well - heck, I sharpie EVERYTHING !:grin2:

If you do not have goggles yet - I suggest you get some - trying to focus on that bright dot will really start to sting your eyes pretty fast....Your initial tests tell me that it could be lots of IR coming out of that sucker - if it is truley a 200mw, then you should be able to light matches at many feet, but the closer you are to the laser, the IR comes into play, and it will burn anything. BE careful !!!!

Ashton

Enlightened

I dissagree, well kinda... if it's 200mw and not properly cultinated... hell, it's it's 2 WATTS and nto properly culmianted it wont do anything. Teh focal length may be very short (though I suspect it IS the IR:green ratio that's the culpret)

brighter

Newly Enlightened

Mine also came thru, I've sad it on another 200mw newwish thread and that means in translation: "buy it and throw it in garbage!" I'm very sorry for that 120$ spent. I hope Yours turn fine but if You can not light a match within 12 inches thats not good. Season for buying low cost high powered greenie is over for me.

SenKat

Enlightened

Brighter - before you give in to despair - look at the thread about the new "Fusion" laser that just came out....

fixorater

Newly Enlightened

My DX 50, while very bright hasn't been able to light a match yet. Though I have yet to try out Lithium batteries with it. So far I've just tried Energizer E2 Titaniums which do seem a tad brighter than standard alkys

liveforphysics

Enlightened
I measured the voltage drop on the alk's that the laser is supplied with. Resting voltage before useing (both batteries in series) 3.1V. Press the button, voltage drops slightly below 2V, then continues to slowly drop...

Alk's just don't cut it for these lasers, and NiMH holds its voltage, but its too low.

Lithiums turn these lasers into flame throwers. Just from observation of holding 1 200mW unit with NiMH, 1 200mW unit with alk's, 1 200mW unit with lithiums, the lithium powered laser appears to be 3-4times the intensity at least. The beam becomes visible just like magic in a lit room with lithiums, when its invisible with NiMH and Alks.

I will have to get readings to confirm, but it appears to be brighter than my Fusion/Frog laser when BOTH lasers are running on Lithiums.

seanrolsen

Newly Enlightened
Great news. However, at 2-3 bucks per batt, it can be quite expensive. What would you say is the true mWattage with lithiums?

My other question would be: How long will the laser last on lithiums before a significant drop in power. Perhaps something to compare.... how long can the lithiums last, before they become the equivalent of Alkalines?

Also, I got readings of about 140 degrees F in about 10 secons on black plastic using the IR therm.

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
Grats on the laser, I have heard some very bad things about the NewWish lasers, especially the fact that most their power (75% or more of it) is from IR. Considering the high price and low quality, I end up buying a leadlight in exchange.

Honestly, with the amount of money I spend in extras on a leadlight, I would end up saving a few hundred $$ on some IR laser eye gear...

seanrolsen

Newly Enlightened
Most of the power may be IR indeed, but I use a removable IR filter. I put the filter on when I am not using the laser with the $6.00 IR glasses I bought.

Works for me.

Sean

liveforphysics

Enlightened
First, these lasers have IR filters. Secondly, the IR they emmit is not a concern once its a few feet from the laser, as it can't maintain intensity as it spreads out.

Lots of people seem determined to scare people about IR on here... Be scared of the monster green beam, not the IR. These things are powerhouses!

Ashton

Enlightened
To some of us, the IR content *is* a factor --- not as much for the danger, but hte power. I wouldn't want to spend $120 and get a laser that's only 30mw green and 170mw IR. I, for one, am not as concerned at the danger as I am the power-fudging. (I'm trying to decide wheather to get one of these or wait for the bare-diode greens that are due out int eh next year or three...)

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Yea, IR does not concern most of us for health reasons... It is the advertised power factor. Any laser sold without an IR filter was measured without it, then sold as a higher power "green or blue" than it truly is. We're worried about dis-honest sellers. If someone wants to sell lasers without IR filters they should state it AND the power break down... :candle: I doubt that will hapoen though. :huh2:

Q777

Newly Enlightened
seanrolsen said:
Most of the power may be IR indeed, but I use a removable IR filter. I put the filter on when I am not using the laser with the $6.00 IR glasses I bought.

Works for me.

Sean

Where did you get 6$ ir goggles

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
I got my DX 200 today !!! Came through in good condition.

1. I installed the supplied Alki cells. Won't pop a balloon. My LPM-1 meter showed about 70 mW.

2. Time to put in the REAL power !! I installed e2 lithium cells. Power instantly peaks at 160 to 170 mW and drops fast to a fairly stable 60 to 70 mW output. :awman:

My DX 20's easily provide 45 mW !!!!!!

Mike

Aseras

Enlightened
I got a notice for mine... :(

but i finally did get something!

I'll post details with mine tomorrow. Sadly my nd8 filter with my lpm-1 has about had it with the breif run i did with the rpl and the yag at work. I'm glad we'll have proper glass filters shortly :)

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Aseras --

I want a real ND8 too but for now, I have a ND glass made by Schott which tests at 0.5X letting me go to 200 mW. My Dragon 95 still rules with me !!

Mike

SenKat

Enlightened
The Glass filter should arrive at my house tomorrow, and I will start cutting on them after I eat dinner :naughty: I will keep everyone updated :)