The *M6-R*: FULLY REGULATED RECHARGEABLE M6 makes an auspicious debut

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The M6-R, a rechargeable fully regulated M6 by JS (Jim Sexton)

The rechargeable M6 (M6-R) is an idea that has been often discussed on CPF and just as often dismissed as unworkable, impractical and even unnecessary because of the existence of the X10. But the X10, despite its innovative excellence is a bulky, awkward, oddly shaped light that is very difficult to comfortably holster and has a short and dimming runtime.

X10
10xbkcharge_full.jpg

Surefire gives 20 minutes as the M6's runtime with HOLA. What is left unsaid is that the M6 only fulfills its rated output for the first minute or two. Last night I run tested an M6 with HOLA and new Surefires. Based on admittedly inexact ceiling bounce comparisons with lights of known lumens it appeared that the M6 lost approximately 50% of its total brightness in about 9-10 minutes.

M6
m6_combo_full.jpg

Since I don't see much point in using the "King of lights" in a less than optimal condition I estimate that I'd have to change batteries at least every 3 minutes and more likely every 1 or 2 minutes to maintain like-new brightness and whiteness. Assuming 2-minute periods that is 10 periods of 6 batteries each for a total of 60 batteries. Even at $1.00 each that is $60 for a 20 minute run. The value and practicality of a regulated M6 appears obvious.

Tigerlight (FBOP)
tl_gold_fbop.jpg

Up to this point the best alternative to a regulated M6 in my experience had been the "Tiger11", a Tigerlight mod kit by JS (Jim Sexton) featuring a KAN 1800 battery pack, Welch Allyn 1111 lamp in a 1940 aluminum reflector. IMO this is the best brightness/runtime compromise of all the Tigerlight mods combining slightly under 500 lumen brightness with a very decent, though unregulated runtime of 29 minutes. Despite the advantages of this mod, an intensely bright rechargeable fully regulated light of modest size still didn't exist until literally a few weeks ago when Jim was making final adjustments prior to beta testing the M6-R.

Initial impression

The M6-R kit came neatly packed and contained a M6-R battery pack wrapped in bubble wrap, a 18VDC desktop supply, black with "MP" on it, packed inside it's own box and a charging circuit, plain aluminium perforated box wedged in between the other two items. The new battery pack was lighter than expected weighing only slightly more than the stock lithium pack:

Rechargeable pack 7.8oz, Total weight 17.3 oz
Standard pack: 6.4oz, Total weight 15.9 oz (1.4 oz lighter)

Charging was convenient and quick; about 2 hours. The new battery fit easily into the M6.

Run test 1
[NOTE: The battery pack and circuitry of the M6-R were designed to work most efficiently with the 500 lumen HOLA. All run tests and all comments about the M6-R refer to the 500 lumen lamp].

Runtime until pulsing: 19'14"

The M6-R was held vertically upright in a bar clamp. Exactly 19 minutes and 14 seconds elapsed before subtle pulsing began. The body of the light was very warm but not overly hot and was comfortable to hold. The circumferential fins and the head were quite hot. After allowing the light to rest for two minutes I performed a second "ceiling bounce" comparison test with the fresh "Tiger-11". At this point I fully expected to see some diminution of output from the SF-R but as far as my non-instrumented test could reveal it was exactly as bright as it had been at the beginning of the test. Pulsing resumed after about 30 - 45 seconds.

It is hard to describe the experience of watching a relatively small 500 lumen light burn perfectly white and bright minute after minute in total defiance of the usual expectation of dimming and yellowing. It is so far removed from any previous experience with an incandescent light that it seems positively uncanny. Prior experience with the SF A2 never evoked this degree of subjective reaction. Perhaps other beta testers may experience a similar response.

Run test 2 This test was performed 4 hours after the first test ended. Conditions were identical to test 1.

Runtime until pulsing: 19'30".

Run test 3 (performed the next day) determined how close the set point was to the onset of dimming.

Runtime until pulsing: 19'47"
Pulsing time until dimming: 19"
Total runtime until dimming 20'06"

A 10-20 second set point appears to give adequate warning assuming the operator is present and reasonably attentive. Because the pulsing is subtle (roughly 100%-80%) it could remain unnoticed if the operator was unusually distracted. That remains to be verified and is not the purpose of these tests. It is possible that different pulsing set points may be desired for specific purposes, perhaps including dual "warning" and "final" set points if such is possible with this circuit.

Run test 4 (performed 10 hours after run test 3)[/b] also determined set point proximity to dimming

Runtime until pulsing: 19'39"
Pulsing time until dimming: 16"
Total runtime until dimming: 19'55"

Throughout all four tests the M6-R performed flawlessly, thoroughly vindicating Jim Sexton's commitment to this project. A comparison with the Tiger11 follows.

Comparison: M6-R & Tiger11

The M6's bezel is 1/8" wider than the Tigerlight's but in all other respects it is smaller. The Tigerlight is almost 20% heavier, a significant difference especially when carrying the light for extended periods.

MODEL.............LGTH.....BEZEL DIA.....BOD DIA.........WT….....LUMENS/CP

Tiger11 (FBOP) ……… 8"………....2 3/8……...…1 11/16"…………19.4oz………....450 L?
Surefire M6-R…………7 5/8"……… 2.5"………...1 5/8" (avg.).…16.3oz…..…….250/500 L.

Beam:

M6-R: Slightly greater output, brilliant, exceptionally broad perfect beam, wide hotspot blends smoothly into corona, very white, very long throw.
Tiger11: Slightly less output, brilliant beam with small very intense hotspot (approximately 1/5th area of M6-R hotspot) which can superimpose itself on M6-R's hotspot, exceptionally white light, extremely long throw

Run time

M6-R: 19 ½ minutes, no detectable dimming, pulsing alert for end-of-run
Tiger11: 29 minutes, dimming, no termination alert

Battery change (field)

M6-R: 11-20 seconds. Multiple tests with stock pack or removal-reinsertion of custom pack prove that change can be easily accomplished even in total darkness
Tiger11: Battery change in field impractical bordering on impossible

Ergonomics

M6R: Relatively light weight, aggressively "landscaped" body provides secure grip under most conditions, including when hands are cold or wet. Large, smoothly functioning instantly locatable LOTC permits multiple grip modes. (NOTE: soft start will be shortened in production models)
Tiger11: Noticeably heavier but still very favorable output/weight ratio. Roughened surface provides moderately secure grip under ideal conditions, somewhat insecure grip with cold or wet hands. Body switch hard to locate quickly, permits several grip modes. (NOTE: very comfortable grip mode – button underneath, hand on top, 4th (preferably) or 5th finger actuates switch, arm hangs naturally, convenient instant actuation)

Carry

Blackhawk M6 holster accommodates Tiger11. During EDC tests the M6-R's lighter weight made for a noticeably more comfortable carry.

Throw

Comparative outdoor throw tests have not yet been performed but based on separate formal and informal throw tests I would expect Tiger11 to out throw the M6-R because of the intensely bright "nucleus" of its hotspot. In a previous "vertical throw test" comparing the stock Tigerlight and the stock M6, the M6 significantly out threw and dominated the Tigerlight. This test disproved the contention of some members that the M6 couldn't be a true long-thrower because of its very broad beam

Preferences and conclusion

I agree with Jim's assessment that "It all boils down to personal considerations, in my opinion. I don't think you can say categorically that one is better than the others". For my own use I will alternate between the M6-R and the tiger11

When Jim first announced the M6-R's 19.5 minute run time I was mildly disappointed because 19.5 minutes seemed pretty short. I am happy to report that with this non-dimming beauty those 19.5 minutes seem far longer than one would expect. Perhaps it is because of the sense of freedom from the clock-linked tyranny of diminishing light that we have come to associate with all incandescent lights except the excellent but relatively modest SF A2. There is no question in my mind that with the M6-R Jim has created a wonderful variation on an already superlative theme. The M6-R is a major accomplishment, one that will provide many hours of undimmed pleasure and functional excellence for its lucky owners.

Congratulations Jim!

Brightnorm

Last edited:

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Re: The M6-R: A Rechargeable FULLY REGULATED M6 ma

19.5 minutes sounds like a lot to me if you were using HALO, I mean with CR123, you only get 20 minutes. Is it possible to use the LALO with this battery pack?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! Nice work BrightN... The R makes it.

It must last a lot longer used intermitantly. Imagine not thinking about how much lower output you have as time ticks on and if you should stick it back on the charger. The regulation is a very nice feature. Nice side by side comparison too. Thanks a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The M6-R: A Rechargeable FULLY REGULATED M6 makes an auspicious debut

This would be great. Last night, I was involved in two arrest situations that required my M6. The first was in near total darkness. I used the M6 with 123's (about 2 minutes of previous drain) for about 2 minutes--the duration of the contact, arrest and patdown. My partner's Stinger looked like a yellow candle compared to the huge white beam of the M6.

The second, I was on a lighted road looking into a dark "tunnel" of underbrush. The M6 easily lighted the target individuals (a big goofy grin on one face). Total usage was another 5 minutes. At a cumulative 7 minutes plus a few minutes more of previous "testing" (playing around), I figure the batteries are almost halfway done. The light still seems very bright, far more so than any other light I have.

Now I have a difficult choice to make. Replace the batteries or run 'em down. One is better from a safety standpoint, the other is more economical.

The rechargeable battery would allow me to get full performance out of this light without making that costly choice. I wonder if Surefire would buy this idea from JS and mass produce it?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: The M6-R: A Rechargeable FULLY REGULATED M6 makes an auspicious debut

Charles,

I edited the review to indicate that all tests and comments refer to the 500 lumen HOLA (High output Lamp)

Lightraven,

The only problem I can see is related to the pretty sudden brightness drop at the end. Pulsing that occurs 20 seconds before sudden dimming might be ok for me as a civilian but what if that happened to you right at a critical moment? It might be useful to discuss this with Jim ("JS" aka Jim Sexton). Perhaps the set point could be altered to give you a longer warning period before dimming, or maybe one of the Tigerlight upgrades might be better for your use.

Brightnorm

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened

Fingers crossed there is an M6 under the tree for me because I can't wait to have 20 minutes of regulated white 500 lumen runtime! Great job guys!

K-T

*Moderator*

Lightraven,

replace the used batteries with fresh ones and put the used ones into your L4 or similar Luxeon light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif This way you'll use them up completely while always having fresh batteries in your M6. In my opinion you don't have a hard choice as you and your partners depend on the correct function of that light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thanks for that interesting review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Great great review man !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
This sounds so great that the little devil on my shoulder starts whispering demoniac voices in my ear ... even if it is a rechargeable thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

That, IMHO, is the only thing Surefire lights have been missing and js delivers: REGULATION.

(I know about the A2, but come on, 50 lumens? It's not getting 'hot' till I get about 100+!!)

I'm sitting here with a stopwatch timing a P91, and like you guys have said, halfway through its runtime it looks much dimmer. It is still a lot of light especially compared to everything else, but it just ain't optimal. The "replace" decision is a tough one, as always, I justify by moving the batteries into my LEDs.

Would love to try but wish I could even afford an M6 to begin with....I gotta settle for the 'poor man's M4' - not even a poor man's M6!!

Nevertheless that does not detract from js' achievement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif the main attraction for me is not so much that there's an M6 rechargeable, but that there's a regulated M6. Rechargeable makes a great deal so much sweeter.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm,

Excellent work as usual; top notch and informative review. Thank you so much for the incredible SPEED with which you put this well-crafted review together.

Especially interesting to note the closeness in weight between the M6-R pack and the MB20 lithium battery holder. Also, I thought you made an excellent comparison review between the Tiger11 and M6-R.

I will comment more fully upon the question of the warning flashes set point and runtime until dimming in the M6-R thread in the mod forum, but in a few words: it is just what I was aiming for.

Thank you again brightnorm. Nicely done.

K-T

*Moderator*

Brightnorm, do you notice any delay when the bulb is turned on or does it behave like the nonrechargeable M6? I am not sure as what the latest softstart setting was.

udaman

Banned

Hmm K-T, I see you and a bunch of others using the word "review". Does that suggest a better place to move this thread to??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

Well, it is sort of a betatesting, followed up by a detailed review and findings from Brightnorm on how the thing is performing so far. It's less for the review section than the modding-section in my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif If it will be the final build, it could also go to the review section.

Let's not splitt hairs on this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DaGeek

Enlightened

Hey were can I inquire about a (tiger11) ??

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Currently, I save partially drained batteries for training purposes (playing with) in the Surefires. When they are completely drained, they go into my Inova X5t (which I got from CPFer recommendations, thanks) for around the house, non-emergency. Nothing gets wasted, but I would still prefer to get 19 minutes of full power (for those longer searches) when I don't have the opportunity to change out batteries.

I think a 20 second warning that the batteries were going to die would be adequate for me to pull out my backup flashlight. When the lamp blows, you don't get any warning which is a real nuisance--and possibly dangerous in rare circumstances. Man, I jump out of my chair when a lightbulb pops at home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
K-T said:
Brightnorm, do you notice any delay when the bulb is turned on or does it behave like the nonrechargeable M6? I am not sure as what the latest softstart setting was.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one has the very slow soft start, about 1 second, but production models will be much faster, less than 1/10 sec which should be fast enough for most users.

Brightnorm

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Surefiregeek said:
Hey were can I inquire about a (tiger11) ??

[/ QUOTE ]

js made the excellent mod for the Tiger11 and from my understanding will be doing another run in a few weeks as time permits. You can find a lot more info about the light http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=550454
TigerLight Upgrade Offerings (summary)

I will be doing a review of my Stock TigerLight and Jim's Tiger11 mods with OP reflector and standard reflector after Thanksgiving. Maybe sooner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim,

Well done!

Brightnorm,

Another sterling review.

Wilkey

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Brightnorm: thank you for the detailed writeup from your Beta test.

SureFireGeek: there is also the Tiger85, if you want a crazy bright mod from Jim. When I start field testing Jim's mods, I'll be sure to pit the two head to head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One additional appeal for me is that with Jim's mod, when you see the flashes, you should be able to quickly remove the rechargeably battery system and drop in your six-celled SureFire battery holder into the M6. Voila--more runtime without needing to buy another battery holder or needing to change all six 123s.

Latest posts