First Solitaire mod, LUX I, major overhaul

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been alot of stull floating about concerning Solitaire mods. I had a choise a few days ago, a pack of smokes or a solitaire. I opted for the light (about a week smoke free). First I just tossed in a Li-ion AAA and a ground down 3mm white. Results were not too bad, but I wanted more. I was getting some pieces together to build a mini-pill, but I decided that would make me more frustrated. I figured I already have 3.6v avail, why not put in my last white LUX I. The problem with that was switching. I found a pushbutton I savad from 7+ years ago, drilled out the tailcap of the m@g and installed the switch, momentary only. I used some of the stock guts for the upper connection, drilled a ((tiny)) hole in the top and smashed in a wire for the (-) connection. The only heatsinking is in the form of 5min epoxy, thermal paste, and aluminum powder (left over from another project).
The last two pics were of this running DD at about 575mA, since there is very little sinking, I added a diode in the tailcap and now the current is about 160mA. Still nice and bright and should have a decent runtime.
ENJOY

Jeff
solilux13xh.jpg

solilux23jz.jpg

solilux35jp.jpg

solilux44er.jpg

The next pics were at DD against a stock dorcy
solilux54hp.jpg

solilux64ov.jpg

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod! at 160 ma, is shouldnt really generate too much heat should it?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC 100mA and under dont require heatsinging. The mass of goo that is under the emitter shought take care of the bit of heat generated. I don't think it would work for 500mA+, but clocked back it seems to be pretty happy. The batts are 320mAh (IIRC) which translates to just over 2hrs. Also, being the switch is momentary only, will keep it happier.
Jeff

rscanady

Enlightened
very nice, I also modded a soli with Lux I, resistored it to run DD at ~200mA and inserted a spring between battery and emitter (+ end) and now the tailcap is a twisty for on/off and I love it.

Ryan