8LED 1AA "Xnova" New vs. Old

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 8LED 1AA "Xnova" New vs. Old

One of my main complaints about these newer "Xnova" 8 is the rather loose fitting tailcaps (I have 2 samples).

I do realize that they depend on some play/looseness in the threads to allow for a momentary ON function. But both my samples are way too loose - that gives me very little confidence that they would not accidentally turn on in pocket carry.

I tried things like a tiny rubber band, but that rolled off the groove between the body and tailcap too easily.

Then I tried some Scotch magic tape and although it worked, it was pretty tacky - and when the tape is new one would have to remove it for turning full-time on (although once the tape had some usage - the light could be turned on while the tape was in place - but this was doubly tacky....:ohgeez: )

I wanted to try some suitable rubber or plastic tubing, but just didn't find any.

So I made my own retaining band out of 1/2" wide braided elastic band one gets from the sewing dept. I used about 2 3/8" (~60mm) length and sewed to join the ends - this gave a tight /stretched fit that keeps the tailcap in place and yet allows me to both turn for full on and press for momentary on.

Xnova_elasticB2.jpg

The stitching isn't that neat, but it's functional. I deliberately used thread of a different color just so I could use it as a marker to line up the tailcap - using a matching color (black) would have made the poor sewing less obvious....

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. Wow.. Interesting. Have you tried putting on a larger thicker o-ring? I'm sure that would help a lot. The o-ring on my 5led xnova virtually does nothing it's so small/thin....

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I had a dorcy 1AAA that would fall apart in my pocket because it was so loose, I took a pair of pliers and buggered up the threads a little making it harder to turn and it never fell apart again.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

IsaacHayes wrote: "Have you tried putting on a larger thicker o-ring? I'm sure that would help a lot."

It probably would and be a lot neater - it was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Good idea - next time I'm at a hardware store that sells o-rings I'll try and get some.

Lynx_Arc wrote: "I had a dorcy 1AAA that would fall apart in my pocket because it was so loose, I took a pair of pliers and buggered up the threads a little making it harder to turn and it never fell apart again."

As for buggering threads -
I think I'll leave that one well alone (Brit talk
icon10.gif
)
seriously though, I'm sure it works - but the looseness is more than just the threads - the tailcap seems over-sized too,
also I prefer not to damage the light.

Thanks,

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

"pressed fit heads" ?? On the "new" 1AA 8 LED ?

The two I purchased from lighthound unscrew easily (the head). The body is simply a double ended tube with identical threading on each end.

Who has a different version, and where did you get it ?

Amonra

Enlightened

The 'Head' is screw-on but you wont get to the leds that way. the silver disc on top of the head is pressfit. you have to remove that to get to the leds.

balazer

Enlightened

I got my AA 8-LED lights from LightHound. The silver one was fairly white, with a hint of cyan. The pewter one was not so white - very indigo. Both are bright, about half as bright as a Luxeon. For the size and the price, I'm pleased with the whiter one, and not so much with the less white one. They're a good size for a bag or purse, but too big for a keychain.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unknown, the xnova 8led from Emilion type "R" has a very nice tail cap. The threads are not loose, and the twist action is very smooth. Just FYI.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

IsaacHayes wrote: "xnova 8led from Emilion type "R" has a very nice tail cap. The threads are not loose, and the twist action is very smooth."

Thank you very much, that's good to hear -
I have the regular Non-"R" Xnova 8 from Emilion - and its tailcap is not as loose as the LighHound version. However due to the small amount of twist to turn ON the light I still am dubious about pocket carry in the ready for momentary ON position for fear of accidental turning full ON. The home made elastic retaining band would still help give me confidence even on the better threads.

I have also solved the loose thread problem to my satisfaction by using some PTFE (Teflon) (plumbing) thread tape. Since it is 1/2" wide I fold it in half, and the doubled tape fits over the threads and the O-ring. This eliminates the excessive play and looseness - yet the threads turn very smoothly as would be expected with Teflon. Even with this I still use my home made elastic retaining band just to be on the safe side.

When I next get a chance I'll post some pics....

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

To compensate for the play/looseness in the tailcap thread I am now using PTFE (Teflon) (plumbing) thread seal tape.

I've known about Teflon tape for a while - but while I was in a local Home Depot at their plumbing dept - I saw a 1/2" x 260" roll for 99cents and bought it (they had bags of 5 rolls for $2.99(?) ).

For the new "Xnova" 8 the 1/2" PTFE tape was too wide for the tail threads - so I simply folded the tape in half "lengthwise" which fitted well over the thread as well as the O-ring. One folded layer seemed about right for one of my samples - the other was better with two folded/double layers......

PTFEtape2.jpg

The tailcaps now do not feel loose, and they turn very smoothly - much better than before - not surprisingly because of the slip quality of Teflon.

I still prefer to use my home made elastic retaining band to minimize any accidental twist turn full ON - which would drain the battery - mainly because there is so little rotation required to go from momentary ON ready, to fully ON (about 1/8th of a turn/rotation).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Lighthound new Xnova 8's loose tailcap tends to unscrew and fall off when pocket carried as opposed to screwing in to constant on. It took 4 layers of folded teflon tape before I noticed a change in looseness in the threads.

The new Xnova 8 is the first pocketable light I have that gave a significant improvement in output over the Dorcy AAA.

Does anyone with a new Xnova 8 also have a Fenix L1/L1P. Is the Fenix bright enough to justify the 7X in cost,
[Edit] I found the answer. Saw UnknownVT's beamshots in the Fenix L1 (non premium) thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

AdamW

Newly Enlightened

I like what I have read so far! These will make nice gifts.

Question: does anyone own both Lighthound's "new Xnova 8" and emilion's "R" version? I would very much like to see how the two lights compare and differ. They look so much alike.

Adam

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the old 8LED light from since Waion was selling it here. The silver top actually does unscrew and there doesn't seem to be any glue or epoxy holding it here. I eventually took mine apart and stuck it in piece of PVC to be powered by a CR123 cell. It's much brighter now :)

This xnova used to give me hell. I had problems screwing on and off the tailcap because the tail spring kept bending out of place instead of compressing. There were also connection problems. I eventually cut about a quarter off of it and that improved it's function significantly although a consequence was that the tailcap fit less snugly because of the lack of force from the shorter spring.

Is the spring inside of the xnova 'R' excessively long to bend out of place instead of compressing?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

eebowler wrote: "Is the spring inside of the xnova 'R' excessively long to bend out of place instead of compressing?"

Nope....

Different kind of mechanics in play here - the (Emilion) "R" version as well as the "new" "Xnova" 8 reviewed here both have "Reverse" orientation of the AA battery - so the spring is actually inside at the head end -
so they are unlikely to be subject to the spring rotation problem.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just tried the freeze and pop with an 8-LED from Lighthound and it worked no problem.

No glue and no potting.
What I thought was glue was a stiff accordion-pleated waxpapery material that surrounded the circuit board.

xnovaguts.jpg

Crappy pic but the capacitor is a 16V 47uF and the two chips are an 8505/40109 (on left) and an SS12 (on right) .

Nell

Enlightened

How does the plastic chrome piece come out to access the board? is it screwed in?

balazer

Enlightened

Plastic? The bezel is metal and it's pressed in.

Nell

Enlightened

balazer said:
Plastic? The bezel is metal and it's pressed in.
I was afraid of prying it. Now I know it is not plastic, I will pry again.

Thanks.

balazer

Enlightened

I was able to get the bezel off by putting a knife between the bezel and what it's pressed into, and then pulling the bezel off with pliers. I might try feezing next, but I'm afraid that it might damage the electronics. Freezing would mean that the board with the electronics is pressed against the board with the LEDs.