a USL, Mag85/3" head, X990 and a fire!!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy smokes! and I do mean smoke... JimH, ModaMag and I had pizza last night at Jim's and Jonathan helped quickcharge Jim's USL (a little too much at first hehe) After a quick bulb change it was time to go turn out some street lights and have a little fun :naughty:

I have the crazy pictures on my camera and I'm just heading home to upload them to this thread. Hopefully I don't get side-tracked by honey-do's en route.

Stay tuned...

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there ddaadd! You've got a nice collection there. Looks like a HD45 would make a nice addition. :)

Ok no more teasing. Here come the pics! Sorry I had to use my old 5MP camera because the new 8.5MP had a dead battery. (How ironic that, within reach were a thousand batteries of all sizes and shapes except the one that fit the camera)

Here's Jim showing off and I mean OFF the business ends of the 3" head on a Mag85 and the USL

And here are the spots I saw for about two hours! (The USL is on the left)

Here's Jim with the X990 HiD and USL.

Guess who's on the left again. The X990 makes the whitehot USL look totally brown and yellow.

Oh and here's a couple bonus pics
That's smoke after 5 seconds of USL toasting a wad of paper

24 seconds later...

It's a pretty amazing thing to see. How do you think we kept the pizza warmed up all night

Jim likes to take his many lights and shine them at the top of the street lamps just outside. A few seconds of pointing at the lamp and they turn off, thinking it's daylight! ehehhe

kwando

Newly Enlightened
great pics! looks like you guys had a blast... makes me want a USL even more

CLHC

Flashaholic
"Jim likes to take his many lights and shine them at the top of the street lamps just outside. A few seconds of pointing at the lamp and they turn off, thinking it's daylight!"

Yes he does! He likes to EDC something like 5 or 7 different lights if I remember correctly. See the ORB RAW around his neck?

Great shots there CromagNet!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slap that 3" head on the USL and watch the "time-to-fire" drop considerably!

The difference between a Mag85 and the USL is like going from VHS to HDTV.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Having owned my own MC85, I can only beguin to imagine the USL. Besides scaring neighbors, I find my Mag85 an "overkill" for most things. What would be an appropriate word in English for the USL then? Serius-overkill? Uber-kill? :nana:

Will

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Having owned my own MC85, I can only beguin to imagine the USL. Besides scaring neighbors, I find my Mag85 an "overkill" for most things. What would be an appropriate word in English for the USL then? Serius-overkill? Uber-kill? :nana:

Will

Just follow my motto - "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman said:
Slap that 3" head on the USL and watch the "time-to-fire" drop considerably!

The difference between a Mag85 and the USL is like going from VHS to HDTV.

What I experienced is the opposite, the larger 3 inch head is not concentrated enough at close range, since with the stock 2 inch head we have 100 watts of power in 4*3.14 square inch versus 9*3,14 square inch.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop it already, all of you, you're making me jealous! Just because you've got early production/protos is no reason to incite envy and other bad bad emotions in those who have to wait in line like me.

:devil: :xyxgun:

:popcorn:

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
*sniff* All I have is a lousy 3x123 and a KPR112....

Nice stuff...

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, if you can't acquite one at least enjoy the pics.

Grox don't feel so bad. I signed up to be the last (the most perfected one, smoke in 1 sec fire in 15s :bow: :D)

Hopefully, Bill doesn't shy away from a second run. It would be a shame.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:
Stop it already, all of you, you're making me jealous! Just because you've got early production/protos is no reason to incite envy and other bad bad emotions in those who have to wait in line like me.

:devil: :xyxgun:

:popcorn:

I don't have a USL, all you have to do is make your own version of it...comeon, you know you want to...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The secret key to lighting a wad of newspaper with a USL is to use the front page. Wad it so whatever main picture is on the outside of the wad and facing the USL. Smoke is immediate and fire can come within 10 seconds! :naughty:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
10s, larry it must be hot down south. ;)
We were making the fire in 54F up here. I was gonna use it as a hand warmer if the fire didn't start.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
10s, larry it must be hot down south. ;)
We were making the fire in 54F up here. I was gonna use it as a hand warmer if the fire didn't start.

Yeah, but what a hand warmer!!

Oh PS Jonathan, I sent you a PM a while back, just wondering if you got it or not....

Nick

Last edited: