$39 Raw

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
Ned-L: Glad you like the pics.

Orb initially indicated the 3-Watt Son Of Raw (S.O.R.) LED would be a TWAK, but he recently noted that he was trying to get some of the rather rare UWAK Bin LEDs.

TWAK would mean about 77 lumens on HIGH for a 3-Watt S.O.R., and UWAK a rockin' 100+ lumens on HIGH for 3-Watt S.O.R.

Niiiiice.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightlust :thumbsup:
The illustration is very good. Love the CR123 don't fit :crackup:
If your interested we should talk about you doing some work for a new web site?
Massive :thanks: for all the help.

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
orb said:
Lightlust :thumbsup:
The illustration is very good. Love the CR123 don't fit :crackup:
If your interested we should talk about you doing some work for a new web site?
Massive :thanks: for all the help.

Always glad to help out just for fun ... so I hadn't planned for this but:
workfor.gif

:laughing: :crackup::lolsign:
PM sent

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
marcdilnutt said:
Hi,
Can you put several tritiums around the raw, or is it limited to one?
Marc
You could, it would be a custom order. & £6 per Trit.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
:paypal:

...for Orb Raw 1W, green tritium, 2-stage, int shipping = £40 (or $71.33).

- Chris

songled

Newly Enlightened
Dear Orb,

paypal sent for:

1 Watt Raw £23
Green Tritium £6
UK Postage £3
£32 Total

Many thanks in advance!

rscanady

Enlightened
anyone got theirs yet, hmm, I jut got a package that arrived my Hong Kong to Oregon USA in 4 days! Hopefully these will be showing up very soon.

Ryan

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
songled said:
Hi, orb
It would be very interesting to see the 3 watt RCR2 & 1 watt CR2 side by side.
Regards

songled

Finally got time to do some photo's.
This is the Raw 1 watt RWAH with CR2 3 volt next to Raw Ns 3 watt TWAK with RCR2 3.7 volt.
BTW the beam shot from the Raw Ns & the Standard 3 watt Raw are the same.
1vs3-watt-beam.jpg

ktronik

Enlightened
Hey Rob,

I just could not resist, that new pic just pushed me over the edge...

Anyway I ordered one today from your website...

May confirm what bin 1w led it will be shipped with...

Err, I take it the trilium is safe?? being radioactive and all...

All the best

Ktronik

songled

Newly Enlightened
ktronik said:
Hey Rob,

Err, I take it the trilium is safe?? being radioactive and all...

All the best

Ktronik

I was wondering about the same question, is the tritium safe? I know it is widely used in watches, but in that case it is sealed inside the watch. While for the torch, it seems that it is contained in a glass(or plastic) tube. I fould the information on Wikipedia

"Health concerns
While the presence of a radioactive substance would seem dangerous, traser keychains are hardly a health concern. Tritium emits beta particles, which cannot pass through the glass of the tube. Tritium is only mildly radioactive, and in any case each keychain contains only a minute quantity of the gas; even direct, short-term exposure to small amounts is pretty harmless. If a traser vial should break, one should leave the area and allow the gas to diffuse into the air. Tritium exists naturally, but in very small quantities.
"

It seems it's not good when the container breaks.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand about small Tritium vials I have no concerns about breaking the odd one.
The choice is there to have a Tritium vial in your Raw or not.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is correct. Some wristwatches contain several tritium vials on the hands plus numbers. Current watches contain less than 25 microcuries of tritium, and that's the sum of several tritium vials. http://www.luminox.com/

A single typical-size tritium vial would therefore contain less than 25 microcuries (25 uCi)

Tritium emits only beta radiation which is stopped by your skin or the air itself. E.g, the max range in air is only 0.15 inches.

Tritium is therefore only a danger if inhaled or ingested. So what if you broke a tritium vial?

The maximum occupational human health exposure for inhaled or ingested tritium is 80 MILLIcuries per year, or 3,200 times the tritium in ALL the vials of a watch.

Therefore you'd have to break MANY THOUSAND tritium vials right under your nose while simultaneously inhaling to even approach this limit.

http://bfa.sdsu.edu/ehs/radch10.htm

There is a generally accepted relationship between ingested tritium and absorbed radiation:

Committed Effective Dose Equivalent (CEDE) in soft tissue is 64 mrem per millicurie (mCi) ingested.

So radiation absorbed from breaking and inhaling 100% of the tritium in approx 5 vials (total 25 microcuries, the amt in a watch) is:

64 mrem * 1 millicurie/25 microcuries = 1.6 millirem

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/tritium.htm

There are MUCH greater common radiation risks than tritium vials.

A single cross-country airline flight (depending on solar activity) can potentially expose you to 100 millirems, 62 TIMES the amount from breaking and inhaling 100% of the tritium in 5 vials.

The average radiation exposure from household radon gas is 100-200 mrem/year and in some cases 600 mrem/year. So just living in a house ONE YEAR with a high radon level can expose you to 375 TIMES the radiation of breaking and inhaling 100% of the tritium in 5 vials.

If you're concerned about radiation don't worry about inhaling tritium from broken vials -- get a household radon test. You can get one at Lowe's for $16.00.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
joema...current watches are limited to ~25 millicuries as far as I am aware. Here is an example of a Marathon Navigator:

curies_example.jpg

I don't have a Luminox to compare against. Do they list 25 microcuries on them?

Even with ~25 millicuries, just clear the area, allow the air to clear, and you should be fine.

- Chris

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris thanks very much for the correction. The spec says 20 MICROcuries of Promethium-147 and I mis-read that. For tritium you're right the limit is 25 MILLIcuries of tritium per watch.

You're right this doesn't greatly affect the safety picture. But for completeness below are the corrected calculations:

NRC max allowable occupational tritium exposure (via inhalation or ingestion): 80 millicuries/year. Each watch contains about 5 tritium vials totaling about 25 millicuries, so you'd need to break and inhale 100% of the tritium in about 15 vials to approach this limit.

Committed Effective Dose Equivalent (CEDE) in soft tissue is 64 mrem per millicurie (mCi) ingested.

So radiation absorbed from breaking and inhaling 100% of the tritium in approx 5 vials (total 25 millicuries, the amt in a watch) is:

64 mrem * 25 millicuries = 1600 millirem

That's a lot more radiation than my first incorrect calculations, but it's still less than a frequent flier or airline flight attendant may absorb EACH YEAR.

Similarly breaking and inhaling 100% of the tritium in 5 vials is about equal to living in a high radon house for 2-3 years.

In actuality if you broke a few tritium vials you'd probably only inhale a tiny fraction of that amount. The gas quickly disperses.

If you worked in a factory manufacturing tritium vials and fell into a bin, breaking hundreds of vials, that might be a problem.

However for the average person breaking an occasional tritium vial is much less radiation exposure than making frequent cross country flights or living in a high radon house.

Some LCD watches in the 1970s used tritium illuminated displays containing 200 millicuries of tritium, eight times the current limit. If they were still made I'd be a little more cautious about handling them. But current watches and tritium vials have such tiny radiation for the most part I wouldn't worry about it.

ktronik

Enlightened
Hey smart people...

thanks for putting my mind at ease...

I just have to be careful I don't accidently inhale the light, when using it... :lolsign:

best

ktronik