Would a ROP damage an UCL ?

Delvance

Enlightened
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding the ROP and UCL lenses. I've ordered all the parts necessary for a M@g 2D mod to ROP, but unfortunately flashlightlens/lighthound are out of 52.1mm borofloat lenses. I was wondering if anyone knows if the UCL can be used instead of a borofloat ? I've read on threads that the AR coating on UCL's can melt, is the ROP hot enough to do that ? Tried searching, but i couldn't find an answer, probably just my searching skills suck :crackup:

Thanks!

PS. if anyone wants beamshots of a 6aa in 2D rop, i'd be happy to snap some when i get all the parts :rock:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Hmmm... good question.

My Mag85's UCL has become cloudy after much use. I attribute this to melting of the AR coating.

I don't have a "real" ROP (4-D Mag powered by 6 sub-Cs). Mine is a 2-D Mag with AA NiMH batteries (until I got some CBP1650s recently, I was using Energizer 2100mAH AAs x 7). Consequently, the longest continuous burn time I've used it for has been about 20 minutes. KevinL's definitive ROP will run for about 50 minutes on the sub C cells, and I don't know if that amount of runtime would cook the UCL.

Incidentally, Phaserburn was the first to describe using the Pelican Big D bulb in a Mag host. KevinL refined and fully developed the concept, and named it "The Roar of the Pelican". For what it's worth, my ROP is probably the second ever made (after Phaserburn's), is currently on its third bulb, and has yet to exhibit any damage to the UCL.

To my eyes, 6 x CBP1650 AAs yield equal brightness to 7 x Energizer 2100mAH AAs. That is due to the voltage sag of the Energizers with the 4A draw of the Big D bulb. Check out the discharge curves of the CBP1650s and Energizer AAs in SilverFox's NiMH Battery Shootout Thread <-- link

As for beamshots, here you go. I took these last year.

ROP with 7 x Energizer 2100mAH AAs on the left, Mag60 on the right.

Fire hydrant 60 feet away:

bigdvsmag60hydrant2ib.jpg

Pine tree 30 feet away, garage door 15 feet away:

bigdvsmag60tree5yx.jpg

Delvance

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Hookd, very helpful and interesting :). I think i'm going to get a UCL rather than wait for a borofloat to pop up, seeing as your UCL hasn't been damaged by the heat of your 2D ROP, which is what i'm building.

Since i have no idea where to get the CBP 1650 cells, i'll be going for some 1700nimh cells from a local electronics store, which i believe to be decent/good quality.

Btw Hookd, you had to tease me with photos of a brighter flashlight next to the ROP didn't you :grin2: , now soon as i get the ROP together, i'll have to go make something more powerful haha. Brightness bug bites again =/

Thanks =)

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The CBP1650s don't have tabs. You can stick on a solder blob, or else purchase some rare earth magnets. You can get them from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032058.2032229.2032262&parentPage=family

Warning: the magnets are a bit too thick to fit comfortably in the modamag 8AA-to-2D adapter. They will fit in the fivemega 6AA-to-2D adapter. I think Emilion sells magnets on his webstore, but I haven't tried them so I don't know if they're thinner than the RatShack ones.

Delvance

Enlightened
Ratshack hahaha :crackup: , havn't heard that one before, but i live in Australia.

I've already bought 2 x 3aa to D converters from EL, the website described them as being "super low resistance" and i have faith in Wayne J. Anyways, i'll see how they go, if they crap out on me, i guess i'll just make my own holder for them. I don't have a battery pack charger so trying to avoid soldering all of them into a beat 'em stick o' batteries.

Went out and bought the host light just then too, my first incan light hrmm.

WhiteHot

Enlightened
I think that the 7x2100's is really underdriving the ROP bulb. My 6xSubC ROP is on par with my Mag85 on 9 x Sanyo 2100's which should be brighter than your Mag60. Are you using the BigD SLA bulb?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooked, thanks for the history of the ROP and the UCL tests. The two of you were instrumental in bringing the bulb to my attention and in many ways bringing the light to life. If not I would probably still be sticking to my Mag85.. :)

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hookd_On_Photons, can you measure the current from your 7xEnergizer2100 setup? It appears to be severly underperforming from your pics.

Sigbjoern

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've put a UCL into the USL I had the privalige of field testing and noticed no clouding through many charges. I have another in my USL. The UCLs are advertized as AR coated. Some AR coatings aren't known for mechanical durability/abrasion resistance. :shrug:

In deference to the noobies:
UCL= Ultra Clear Lens (Should have been UCW as in Window. :D )
USL= Ultimate Stealth Light (As in 100Watts of fire-starting output from a 2D formfactor.
AR= Anti Reflective

Larry

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Full charge runs of a 100 Watt Osram running at 114 watts and I never popped a UCL yet. Head gets far to hot to touch by end of run (10 minites). Coating is still clear and A-OK. Don't drop it though. I broke 2 that way.:mecry: