MN to Bi Pin options for an M6?

cwujek

Newly Enlightened
I have an opportunity to acquire an M6 for a reasonable price, but I'm a little concerned about bulb availability. Been crawling the web for a shot at an adapter, but haven't found one still available. Has me wondering if I could make my own with some simple tools and a bare bi pin socket. If anyone has some close up pics of their adapter or any ideas, would like to hear it. Thank you!

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
The M6 has always been tricky. The 2x18650 adapter route is what I took. Its unfortunate as its an amazing light. Getting 2 x 18650 in there means you can run a Tad's bi-pin bulb in the adapter.

There was a regulated rechargeable pack years ago but despite being in the wait list they were so long before being completed the batteries went bad so I never got mine.

I actually just sold my M6. I realised that once the bulbs were done I was out of luck.

The M4 uses the same head and that has Tad's bulbs available without adapter. 2 x 16650 fits or bore out to 18650.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
And in all honesty with how long bulbs last, you're probably better off with a nicely potted pre-focused lamp assembly. I've never cared much for bi pin bulbs. And bi-pin bulbs in the right voltages aren't easy to find anymore either. Grab a couple lumens factory assemblies and you'll be set. Unless it's just for fun. Then, happy hunting

hamhanded

Enlightened
So were you the one that managed to nab that one listed for $28 on OfferUp?

cwujek

Newly Enlightened
Tads is out of production, contacted him and he is selling off the last of his inventory. The lumens factory bulb is meant for 13v, I'm looking for a 2x26650 setup and would be severely underdriving the bulbs.

Never saw the OfferUp listing, if I did I would have bought it...

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Tads is out of production, contacted him and he is selling off the last of his inventory. The lumens factory bulb is meant for 13v, I'm looking for a 2x26650 setup and would be severely underdriving the bulbs.

So sorry to hear that about Tad. And therefore sorry for giving false hope. Tad was passionate about incan. What a shame he has called it a day.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

What do you mean? They have at least 3 lamp assemblies I know off hand that will work properly on 2x26650. And no 13v lamps, Not for the m6

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM, I've been considering getting one of those, but do you think two 26650's will push an MN20 too hard?

I'm pretty sure it will flash an MN21.
That setup is perfect mach (voltage wise) instead of original battery adapter of 3S/2p primary 123As
I use protected cells with
2x26650 system with MN21 without instaflash but I am sure bulb life will be shorter than MN20.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM, I've been considering getting one of those, but do you think two 26650's will push an MN20 too hard?

I'm pretty sure it will flash an MN21.
I've never used the mn21, but it was heavily overdriven on a pair of C lithium ions and even on 18650s. It's going to be pushed pretty hard on 26650s. But the LF HO-M3T, EO-M3T, and IMR-M3T will all be fine. As will the MN-15 and MN-20

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used the mn21, but it was heavily overdriven on a pair of C lithium ions and even on 18650s. It's going to be pushed pretty hard on 26650s. But the LF HO-M3T, EO-M3T, and IMR-M3T will all be fine. As will the MN-15 and MN-20
Yea, I actually once flashed a new MN21 on a fresh pair of Surefire CR123A's in the M6 battery carrier, so I hold out no hope for having more luck on freshly charged 26650's. Could have just been a bad lamp assembly, but MN21's and lithium ions just seem like a bad idea.

Kinda like with the P91, though I have gotten that to work in the past with 18650's. These lamps are getting too hard to find to mess around with these days. I have a ton of P90's I'm happy to overdrive, and only flashed one on lithium ions once well over 15+ years ago, probably closer to 20, and I'm pretty sure it was a bad lamp. Died within a few minutes.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I actually once flashed a new MN21 on a fresh pair of Surefire CR123A's in the M6 battery carrier, so I hold out no hope for having more luck on freshly charged 26650's. Could have just been a bad lamp assembly, but MN21's and lithium ions just seem like a bad idea. Kinda like with the P91, though I have gotten that to work in the past.
Ya I've gotten the p91 to work as well…..for less than an hour. Was a fun hour though

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I've gotten the p91 to work as well…..for less than an hour. Was a fun hour though
I don't think I ran it that long, only for a few minutes IIRC. It put out some crazy bright light in a dark field though.

It was a long time ago, it might have actually been two AW P18500's instead, I don't remember for certain.

Because I think it was in a Fivemega 3 cell 18mm body without an extender.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I ran it that long, only for a few minutes IIRC. It put out some crazy bright light in a dark field though.

It was a long time ago, it might have actually been two AW P18500's instead, I don't remember for certain.

Because I think it was in a Fivemega 3 cell 18mm body without an extender.
For me it was a few minutes at a time. But I was stupid and ran it on 2x 18650 IMR cells

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, the IMR's generally have a little more push to them. I try and take that into account with these lamps.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a different time. I was a young and inexperienced flashaholic. Lol. Also a poor one and the only cells I had were pulls from drill battery packs.
Haha, yea I hear you man. I think we all started out around somewhere like that at the beginning. Eventually we all became O.G.'s :D

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, the IMR's generally have a little more push to them. I try and take that into account with these lamps.
IMRs will push the MN21 too hard close to instaflash.
Unprotected cells will push the MN21 very hard.
Protected cells will push the MN21 hard.

In post number 11 I mentioned about PROTECTED cells.