My 2-stage Kroll mod

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is another two brightness switch mod for a Surefire L4 tail cap so it might be a little off topic.

The Surefire L4 tail cap can also be made into a two brightness switch. With the modded tail cap you twist to turn on the light. Clicking the button changes the low and high beam. Or it could be high and low beam. Momentary high beam from low is made by a slight push on the button.

4kl4twobrightnessbeamshot9gh.jpg

The tail cap comes apart by twisting the retaining ring on the outside tail. Pull the rubber boot off and the switch assembly falls right out. Solder a 10 ohm resistor from the center spring to the outside ground ring and reassemble. 20 minutes work is all it takes to 'break' the tail cap and turn it into a two brightness tail cap.

The tail cap warranty is no doubt void with this mod. Look at what you gain. Your Surefire L4 can gain a two brightness tail cap for the price of a 20 cent Radio Shack 1/4-watt resistor.

Now back to your normal thread about Kroll two brightness mods.

sfl4minimag3po.jpg

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow TB, that's sweeeet!

I'm glad I didn't order the McE2S conversion for my L4 yet, looks like I'll be trying your mod instead.

Thanks for the tip!

Radit

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i'm new here. Do you think this mod will also work for the Surefire L5? Also, does using various resistance produce different light intensity? I.E. if i was to use a "turn" switch with a few positions and have 2, 5 and 10 ohms will it produce various output? (like the U2?) Many thanks!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait minute, does this keep the clickie functionality? I've got an E1e-BK on the way in which I want to install an led in, so a 2-stage clickie would be da bomb!

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should work on all Surefire Clickies with lockout.

It converts the light to Twist tail for ON and Click to toggle between high and low.

This works very good and is a cheap substitute to the McE2s.

Allowing more than 2 levels of light is not possible without some serious modification.I dont now how to do that...And doubt it is possible.

Benny

Radit

Newly Enlightened
Finally got my Surefire L5 light. Tested the current between battery and body to be 1250mA. With a 10 ohms resistor the current is 260mA. A 1/4 Watt heats up too much for my taste so i put a 1/2 Watt resistor between the spring and the base as described elsewhere here as a 2-stage mod for an L4. Works great. P=I^2*R so P=0.26^2*10 P=0.676W. 0.5W is actually a tad too small...
The 1/2 Watt just barely fits but works fine. Operation: Twist the tailcap in to operate in low light mode, press lightly on tailcap for High mode or depress fully for constant on High mode. Twist tailcap out to turn off. Just like write up here.
Will try the light in some caves this week-end.
I was wondering if for a multi-stage it would make sense to fit a small rotary selector with, say, 4 positions. 3 of those will have resistors and one either OFF or ON. No clickie, though...?

Last edited: