new lights at target

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning Niteize bulb, I saw a thread about them. Basically said they were crap and more than one person said they returned them. Dim output, but no one has any inout on rintimes.
*Ah, nevermind, others answered it better.

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I did grab one of the 1 Watt Dorcy lights and also saw the Brinkman 3 watt Headlamp. I like the idea of the 3 watt headlamp however am not too sure about the performance. Has anyone opened one up to check the BIN code? I am curious as to what Brinkman is using in this lamp.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
martytoo said:
I searched for the new lights at two Targets today. Neither had the new lights but one had a few interesting sales that looked like possible closeouts. The .5W River Rock Head Light (blue case only) was only 7.48 and the LED Keychain Light just 2.98. They were so cheap I couldn't resist.

Again, only one of the two stores had these low prices marked with Red Was/Now tags.

All of the ".5w" leds are 5mm. They just have the optic removed. I wouldn't be suprised if they are the exact same led as the SMJLED.

shimey

Newly Enlightened
Tonight at Target (Orem, UT) I picked up:

Niteize Drop-in
Dorcy Super 1 watt
Brinkman 3 watt

Niteize Drop-in - Had been excited about this one since it first surfaced on the board after the SHOT show. Religiously been checking walmarts and targets from Twin Falls, Idaho to Phoenix, Arizona since that time. Low and behold...Target had 'em tonight. $9.99. Dropped it in my 3D mag (4C PVC mod w/radio shack 3.6v bulb) and it was kinda like going to a movie with low expectations and still being disappointed. I never thought it was going to blow me away, still i was kinda excited to find it on the shelves. Pure novelty factor...weak, sickly green...blah, blah, blah.

Dorcy Super 1 watt - DOA. Yes....had seen this one at double the price in Sears and Sportsman's Warehouse and was stoked to find it at $19.99. No joy. Have taken it apart twice....Genuine Lumileds star, but I think I got a bad one...shorted direct from (-) to the body, still nothing, so it's not the switch...Head was VERY easy to dissasemble (mod?) switch is glued I think. Haven't decided whether I'll try another or just order a Q3.

Brinkman 3 Watt - The star of the otherwise lackluster show. Also reminded me of the G2...just a little "chubbier?" Glass Lense. Very quiet forward clickie. On the way home I bumped the switch - flashing my eyes - and had a moment of panic on the freeway. VERY Bright. Painfully so. My 6p and Strion "seem" more tolerable. Tight hot-spot with nice throw across my 60' backyard. Reminds me of my Dorcy Metal Gear....just MORE. More brightness...hotspot...spill....also $10 more. Head and switch are very easy to disassemble (mod?) Everything just un-screws, no thread lock and feels like good o-ring seals. Real Lumileds star. Over-all I'm very, very pleased with it. Already micky-moused two 123's in and it's noticeably brighter with a probably much better run time curve? With a shim sleeve and 10 minutes with a dremel........

Cliff's Notes:

Niteize 2-6 cell mag drop-in - "meh...."
Dorcy Super 1 Watt (single 123) - DOA
Brinkman 3 Watt - "winna, winna, winna" Though so much more so for 10 bucks cheaper.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made an inpulse buy of the Energizer hardcase 3 watt spotlight while I was there. It was not priced, but ended up being $42. It has a VERY tight spot with a even wide surround. It throws longer than any led I have ever had, but it is not bright enough to identify distant targets-just reflect off of them. I do think the spot will hit well over 75 yards however.

Its a great light for rough use, though it is somewhat big. It runs off of 4 nimh AA batts which are replaceable. You do have to unscrew a coulple of things to get at them however.

I am taking mine back because it has a very purpleish beam. I didn't check it in the store because I was too excited about a new light at Target. If your looking for a rechargable lightweight spotlight with good run time, I would recomend it. I do not believe it is as bright as a streamlight 3c propolmer however. For $42 it seems like a decent light.