Streamlight Strion 2020 (New 2024)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight says it drops in February. Looks great and I may try one once they hit the secondary market. Only thing I don't like about is it has a brighter low setting than every other Strion. I spend years wishing they'd make something like this and they remove the one feature I need.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spec looks good, It certainly appears to have the potential to be the perfect Duty Light for a lot of folk.

I'd like to have seen the battery upgraded to a 21700 5000mAh size and capacity over the supplied 18650 3450mAh.

I'll add one to the collection at some point.

Well done Streamlight! :clap:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If only it was made in usa like my incan Strion.
Yup.... Says it right there on the fact sheet in small print. "Manufactured in China." It's a Strion.... Why would you do that? Okay, in that case; no I won't be buying one! Some things are just supposed to be a certain way.

A Nissan Z is supposed to be Made in Japan.
A Chevrolet Corvette is supposed to be Made in America.

A Streamlight Strion is supposed to be Made in America.

But as a Chinese light, okay; here's the other reason why I won't be buying one. As a Chinese light, it's performance is pathetic against its competitors! Let's look at just the lights I've got sitting in my bedroom! Thrunite TT20, Nitecore P10iX, Nitecore MN12S, Nitecore MN12 Pro, Fenix PD36R Pro, Eagtac P200LR, Eagtac P200LC2. Oh! I found one that can compete with this new unreleased Strion model. The Eagtac P200LC2.

First released 10 years ago! Are you kidding me?!?!?!

This is the sheer garbage that Streamlight is pulling!?!?

I will put my Fenix PD36R Pro against this joke of a Made in China Tactical light from Streamlight any day of the year! Fenix PD36R Pro.... Got it as a Birthday present a few days ago. I have found the perfect combination of Flood, Throw, Beam shape, output on Turbo, and Tint (for me). After searching for over 20 years, I've found it! Stacked up against the Fenix PD36R Pro, this version of the Strion is a frickin' joke! Streamlight made a flashlight that can hold its own against a model that Eagtac released TEN years ago! Thing is, Fenix isn't pretending to be an American company making most of its products in America. Every year, Streamlight becomes a "Made in USA" company in name only, more and more.

I guess I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a huge Streamlight fan.... and literally just realized they're about to release a Made in China LED light that would have been impressive 10 years ago!!!!!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not a new thing. Almost every metal flashlight Streamlight sells has been made in China for EDIT: at least five years, Strions included. Only a few exceptions--SL-20L, Stinger Classic, Stinger 2020, weaponlights, etc.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly! Which is why it makes no sense that the new Strion isn't.
Scorpions are out of production and Strions have been Chinese since at least 2019 according to Streamlight's info sheets. I can't pin down the exact date since 2018 is kind of a gap. Being made in China isn't unique to the new model.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Scorpions are out of production and Strions have been Chinese since at least 2019 according to Streamlight's info sheets. I can't pin down the exact date since 2018 is kind of a gap. Being made in China isn't unique to the new model.
It's still wrong. And 2019 wasn't that long ago either.

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
Yup.... Says it right there on the fact sheet in small print. "Manufactured in China." It's a Strion.... Why would you do that? Okay, in that case; no I won't be buying one! Some things are just supposed to be a certain way.

A Nissan Z is supposed to be Made in Japan.
A Chevrolet Corvette is supposed to be Made in America.

A Streamlight Strion is supposed to be Made in America.

But as a Chinese light, okay; here's the other reason why I won't be buying one. As a Chinese light, it's performance is pathetic against its competitors! Let's look at just the lights I've got sitting in my bedroom! Thrunite TT20, Nitecore P10iX, Nitecore MN12S, Nitecore MN12 Pro, Fenix PD36R Pro, Eagtac P200LR, Eagtac P200LC2. Oh! I found one that can compete with this new unreleased Strion model. The Eagtac P200LC2.

First released 10 years ago! Are you kidding me?!?!?!

This is the sheer garbage that Streamlight is pulling!?!?

I will put my Fenix PD36R Pro against this joke of a Made in China Tactical light from Streamlight any day of the year! Fenix PD36R Pro.... Got it as a Birthday present a few days ago. I have found the perfect combination of Flood, Throw, Beam shape, output on Turbo, and Tint (for me). After searching for over 20 years, I've found it! Stacked up against the Fenix PD36R Pro, this version of the Strion is a frickin' joke! Streamlight made a flashlight that can hold its own against a model that Eagtac released TEN years ago! Thing is, Fenix isn't pretending to be an American company making most of its products in America. Every year, Streamlight becomes a "Made in USA" company in name only, more and more.

I guess I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a huge Streamlight fan.... and literally just realized they're about to release a Made in China LED light that would have been impressive 10 years ago!!!!!
I just got my hands on a Fenix E35R and LD30, really like them both. Especially the LD30 but they both have awesome spill and really light up a room. They won't survive Stinger level abuse however, these rose gold rings will come off. Stingers and the like were designed to have the crap kicked out of them, not to be powerful. Signed,
A career mechanic.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
A proprietary battery and the listed runtimes are " claims to 10% of initial lumen output." The provided runtime chart shows the light quickly drops from 1200 lumen to 820 lumen in approximately 25 minutes where it stays regulated for about an hour then rapidly declines to 120 lumen. Chart can be found here https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/fact-sheet/399.pdf?sfvrsn=29010cf3_67

I'll pass on this one. With a duty light I want the ability to replace the cells with a common ones, not take the light out of service for 4.5 hours. If it could use a standard 18650 or 2 cr123's I might be interested.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flip side of that is catering to people/departments who've been using Strions for 20 years and have loads of batteries and chargers in the supply pipeline. I'm on the fence about getting a 2020 but if I did one plus would be using my existing Strion stuff.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
A proprietary battery and the listed runtimes are " claims to 10% of initial lumen output." The provided runtime chart shows the light quickly drops from 1200 lumen to 820 lumen in approximately 25 minutes where it stays regulated for about an hour then rapidly declines to 120 lumen. Chart can be found here https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/fact-sheet/399.pdf?sfvrsn=29010cf3_67

I'll pass on this one. With a duty light I want the ability to replace the cells with a common ones, not take the light out of service for 4.5 hours. If it could use a standard 18650 or 2 cr123's I might be interested.

I found the replacement battery on Bright Guy's site with more details

I agree, it doesn't seem to be an 18650

Such a shame, as this light with a 18650, or better yet (for me) a 21700, AND a lower low (20-30 lumens) I'd be all over it

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the actual cell in a Strion battery is an unprotected 18650, but then it's inside a shell with both a PCB with a couple ICs, and a negative contact that runs to the positive end of the battery. If Streamlight got creative I'm guessing they could make an 18650 carrier like they did with the Stinger 2020. Guessing either size constraints or not wanting to get into warranty claims with exploding generic batteries has something to do with it, in addition to battery sales profits.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
The flip side of that is catering to people/departments who've been using Strions for 20 years and have loads of batteries and chargers in the supply pipeline. I'm on the fence about getting a 2020 but if I did one plus would be using my existing Strion stuff.
The batteries are different though. The originals were only 2200ma and the new ones are 3450ma. I wonder if the old batteries would power the light with a reduced run time or if they would trip the protection circuit ( if equipped)? They say the chargers are compatible though.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI to add to the conversation re: batts, as some who are perhaps not "Strion users" might have missed it but might be interested.

EDIT: SL did not re-invent the Strion system w/ the 2020, they just improved / enhanced / expanded it. If the basic Strion system didn't meet your requirements previously, it likely doesn't now either.

They released a new / upgraded cell which is compatible w/ all previous Strions and enhances their performance. The 2020 is not listed as compatible w/ previous cells, because it would then fail to meet its published FL1 specifications. The 2020 will likely operate OK w/ reduced performance (specifically run time, of course) using previous cells (like those supplied w/ the DS-HL) [2600 mAh], but don't expect that to be advertised, for that reason.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
They released a new / upgraded cell which is compatible w/ all previous Strions and enhances their performance. The 2020 is not listed as compatible w/ previous cells, because it would then fail to meet its published FL1 specifications. The 2020 will likely operate OK w/ reduced performance (specifically run time, of course) using previous cells (like those supplied w/ the DS-HL) [2600 mAh], but don't expect that to be advertised, for that reason.

BTW, that's also why they gave it a new part number.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how long it runs on max before stepping down, I look forward to seeing reviews. Some of the other departments I work with use streamlight, the only newish model I have is the Color-rite stinger.
The ui on the new strion looks like something I could trust a nonflashaholic with ;)