100mW 532nm DPSS module arrived!!!

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
buttrock.gif

It's HERE!!! and it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be...
icon6.gif
I guess they always are huh?

hpim03250zj.jpg

hpim03268zq.jpg

hpim03276wi.jpg

hpim03297wo.jpg

hpim03313yo.jpg

hpim03328ih.jpg

I haven't really messed with it. My goggles haven't arrived yet. I just turned it on to make sure it worked and took a few snap shots. The beam itself doesn't look any bigger or brighter to me than the 15mW pointer I used to have, but when I pointed it at my wall WOW, it's almost painful to look at. I took this as a bad thing, vision wise, and kept my eyes squinted when I looked at the wall. It fits nice and snug in the Laser FX box, but I need to get a splitter to take some of the brightness away. I played part of a song while I had it in the box and the show was BRIGHT. Too much so.

hpim03412rr.jpg

hpim03361dv.jpg

Does anyone know, when you split a beam, does each beam "measure" an equal amouth of mW's? If n=one of the split beams; would it be n/the original beam's mWattage after the split, or with a 4 way splitter and a 100mW beam, each split beam would equal 25mW?
huh2.gif

I'll mess around with it more when my goggles get here. Since I live WAY out in the middle of nowhere (the boarder of a national forest), I may check it out outside for a few minutes tonight. There's never anything above my house...
au.gif
It's been foggy the last couple of night too!
happy14.gif

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Hey, that's a nice looking laser :rock:. I have the little brother (80mw) and am happy with it too. Just out of curiosity, where are the TTL signal cables?, I can't see them connected to the power supply.

As for your quetion about spliting the beam, it depends on the beamsplitter you use. You can find 60/40, 50/50 and even 70/30 beamsplitters out there. That means you get one beam with 60, 50 or 70 %, respectivly, of the total power, and the other beam is, well, the rest (40, 50 or 30%).

So you could get one of the 70/30 ones and get one beam to be 70 mw and the other is 30mw. Use the 30mw beam for your show and the other is directed to where it can't harm anybody (inside the case, for example).

enjoy

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot for posting about this.

Looks like a real nice unit,
I am talking to Extremelasers about getting one myself.
They now have a TEC Thermoelectric Cooled version, for slightly more $.
Anyone know anything about TEC? would it be the better choice?
Ive been told its more stable, and has a longer life span.

I was worried about these being TOO bright for the scanner systems. :(
Spitting the beam seems like such a waste,
is there no way to dim these laser units? Or are they designed to run at max power only?

~John

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
@Entity

I got it off eBay from ExtremeLasers. With shipping it came to $192 and some change. I think it's last years model. the ad they had showed it retailing for $999.

@jtice

TEC=ThermoElectric Cooler. Are you familiar with a Peltier Cooler? It's a little, ave. 40 to 50 mm sq. 1/8 to 1/16th of an inch thick "pad" that has two pwr leads. When pwr is applied one side of the pad gets really hot and one side gets really cold. The more powerful the TEC the bigger delta or difference in temps between the hot and cold sides. I have used one in cooling my computer cpu. Also the cooler you keep the hot side the colder the cool side gets. It will also use much more pwr than one that is not TEC cooled.

This thing is really bright. I have seen no way to change the power on this unit. I'm waiting on an invoice for a 488nm, 5 to 25mW variable pwr module at the moment. :grin2: Still waiting on my goggles for this one though... :whistle:

jtice

Flashaholic
I am going to go ahead and get the TEC model,
I will probably add a fan to it also, cant have it too cool :D

Yes, the GBS-100 is pretty much last years model, but its still a very very nice unit.
He still has those in stock also, but I think they will be phased out with the TEC units.

This was the first I had heard of TEC cooling, so I did some research,
very "cool" stuff ;)
Seems that all the TEC lasers are more stable, and last alot longer.

You got an Excellent deal on your GBS-100 !
My TEC cooled version is gonna be $250, still a good deal I think.

Keep me posted as to what you think of your GBS-100 ! :)
also, what goggles did you get?
I am thinking I should get some now :(

~John

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
jtice

You should absolutely get at least a pair of goggles. This laser is too bright for your own good. Especially if you plan to have that laser aligned with mirrors and other reflective surfaces. if the beam strikes your eyes even for an instant, you risk damaging your sight, and, there's no way of hitting the undo button to repair the damage done.

Also, TEC lasers are more expensive, and more stable than normally cooled lasers. It really depends on what you intend to use yours for. If only for average use, then it's a bit over kill, I think. But if you plan on some research where you need a rock solid, stable power, then you will need it. For projectors, it's pretty much whatever you choose, TEC being the better choice, but not mandatory.

Also, don't pay any attention to the add that says they sell this things for 999$, it's bull, I think. I bought my GBS-80 last year, and they had the same add. All I'm interested in is the final price, regardless of any apparent discounts. And yours is a good price for such a unit :rock:.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
jtice said:
also, what goggles did you get?
I am thinking I should get some now :(

~John

If you read some of the warning threads, and do a little googling for goggles you'll probably end up buyng goggles first. There are many horror stories out there that will make you think. I just happend to do the searching after I bought the laser... :ohgeez: I haven't played with it too much because of my lack of goggles. I have only put it into the Laser FX. I wont do anything with mirrors or any aligning until they arrive.

I got a pair of fugly goggles off eBay. It was $50 for 2 pair with shipping. I had spent all night at work looking for a pair that was around $50, so these seemed like a steal. Since then I have found 2 new pair for $50 each, but with the 2 pair I got I can let my girlfriend wear a pair so I don't have to kick her out of the house while I align during my "project". :grin2:

Since I am now looking at the blue laser I may have to break down and get one of the exspensive pairs that block multiple wavelengths... :ironic: I also need to find a nice cheap red module. :broke:

O... I think this is the invoice for the blue...:rock:

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, the $250 GBS-100 TEC 100 mW 532nm Laser is ON ITS WAY ! :D:D:D:D

Yea, I better get a pair of goggles soon :(
I tend to play,, eh hem,,, experiment with the lasers a good bit,
and do all sorts of things with mirrors, etc.

I want to get a cheapo green module also, say, 10 to 20 mW,
so that I can use it without the goggles if I want to just test something.

Or maybe I can find someone wanting to sell a cheap green pointer,
and I can just gut it, and slap a fan on it.

~John

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Awesome! Definatly thow up some pics once it arrives. I just paid for a 9 to 25 mW blue argon module and power supply! :paypal: :grin2: Let the impatients begin...

For testing somethig w/o goggles I would get one of the 5 mW ones off eBay. I've seem em for $35 to $55 I think. To be honest I think a 30 or 50 mW would have been a better choice for what I want to do, I just saw this one's auction close to the end and took a "shot from the hip" bid on it and won. :lolsign: That's why I'm thinking about a beam splitter, although I would like to see how many rooms in my house I can illuminate, so this may be just right for all 6 rooms. :candle:

jtice

Flashaholic
Wow, ExtremeLasers are Fast !
Just got a confirmation back with tracking,
its due the 19th !!! :party:

Most all the photos in my gallery of my scanner system, were done with my pointer on its 15mW setting (is had two settings, high was 52mW)
That seemed penety bright enough with some fog in the room ;)
I picked up a $30 fogger last yea, man that makes it fun!!!!

If anyone sees a good deal on a green module that about 15mW, let me know :)
~John

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
pb_paulie_b said:
Good score! It really does your laser FX justice :grin2:
Thanks! It's almost too much... I want to filter it or split it some before it gets to the Laser FX, atleast in the future... That way I can use the rest of the beam in other rooms. :grin2: I paid for what was advertised as a 9 to 25 mW 488nm blue argon system. When I loked up it's specs I think it is rated at 10 mW with it's original pwr supply, but this one is coming with a variable psu which I think give it the variable option... :thinking: It's is being tested again before shipment, which will hopefully be on Monday, but he said probably on Tuesday... :awman: and it already feels like it will be a LONG 4 to 5 days of waiting...:whistle: :ironic: :sigh: :duh2: :sleepy:

dr_lava

Enlightened
hey all, when you put your hand in the beam, does it sting? how long does it take? also, we'd like to see a spot size mesaurement at 20+ feet some time!

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
dr_lava said:
hey all, when you put your hand in the beam, does it sting? how long does it take? also, we'd like to see a spot size mesaurement at 20+ feet some time!
At first it doesn't, but if I let it warn up for a while it stings after a few seconds (6 to 10), but no too much. I want to "measure" the output on this. I thought 100mW would be a little... "more"... :grin2: It will burn black tape, but I havn't tried to burn all the way through because of the reflection off the tape is too bright to look at without goggles, and mine haven't arrived yet... :thumbsdow

I'll have to find a 20 foot room... My singlewide is only 13 feet across. :rolleyes: I can try it down a hall but the perspective might not make a good photo...

Hopefully my goggles, mirrors, prisms, and blue laser will all arrive on Thursday, my first of 3 days off. :rock:

jtice

Flashaholic
What kind of prisms you have comming?
I am wanting to get some diff types to get some diff beams, colors, etc.

~John

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
jtice said:
What kind of prisms you have comming?
I am wanting to get some diff types to get some diff beams, colors, etc.

~John

:whistle: :huh2: :shrug:, whatever I won off eBay... I think the ones I won are from bynoculars and a microscope or something. :ohgeez: I am finding that prisms are exspensive, but they seem to be the best thing for bending beams at precise angles...