Review: MiniMag 2AA LED: Alkaline & Comparitive Runtimes

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:I forgot to mention, from who I got the light :) ... any guesses?
... ok Giveup?...
Fellow CPFer
Flame :) has been very kind to send it across the oceans for the review.

Here is the review of MiniMag 2AA, its still incomplete, hopefully will do runtime today. I am currently in a process of consolidating all my reviews together and putting at one place :).

General Description:
Runs on two AA Cells, Luxeon III LED, Body is built of Aluminium and is Anodised. MiniMag 2AA LED comes in a Blister Packaging which includes Belt Holster, 2AA Duracells, Instruction set on Blister Packaging. MiniMag 2AA LED is simple to operate twisty. The build quality is excellent, typical of Made in USA Light. MiniMag 2AA LED is pretty bright for it's size. MiniMag 2AA LED is one of the best compromise between quality, brightness & runtime. Mag Lite is well known as professional flashlight manufacturer to the mass market and with introduction MiniMag 2AA LED, this will serve as a major launch of LED flashlights to the masses.
Light Features:

• Runs on Common AA Cell
  • Fully Adjustable, Floody to Throw Beam
  • Luxeon III LED
  • Deep Plastic Reflector Optimized for Flood & Throw
Light Operation:

• Turn the head clockwise to turn on the light.
  • Turn anticlockwise to turn off as simple as that.
Additional Notes:
Surprisingly on light meter, it shows brighter than Fenix L2P in terms of overall output in both the cases, photos say things otherwise!

The overall output is max when focus is widest, it looses about 10% - 12% in throw focus mode, mainly because the reflector blocks some of the light emitted by LED as reflector moves ahead of led. When the light is in max focus mode, if you see the reflector on deeper side, you will notice the Blue color (light reflected off blue plastic), it would have been great if the inner of reflector is also coated, instead of keeping it as bare plastic.

Pictures:
Size Comparison
Fenix L2P, MiniMag 2AA LED & 2AA Incand LED
DCP_5687_MM2AALED_Size.jpg

Bezel
DCP_5688_MM2AALED_Bezel2.jpg

Reflector: The reflector is very deep and well designed
DCP_5689_MM2AALED_Bezel.jpg

Tailcap: Notice the special spring arrangement that allows easy spring rotation.
DCP_5691_MM2AALED_TailCap.jpg

Candle Mode LED: Notice the LED leads are protected by the protective cap.
DCP_5690_MM2AALED_Candle.jpg

Beam Shots:
MiniMag 2AA LED is noticeably bright, here are a few beam shots against Fenix L2P

Tint: The Tint is noticeably on a purplish side. Here is a beam shot with max throw mode.
DCP_5701_MM2AALED_FBC-2-Col.jpg

MiniMag 2AA LED on Left and Fenix L2P on right both with Fresh NiMH AA Wide Focus
Exposure Compensation = 0
DCP_5698_MM2AALED_WBC-0.jpg

Exposure Compensation = -1
DCP_5697_MM2AALED_WBC-1.jpg

Exposure Compensation = -2
DCP_5696_MM2AALED_WBC-2.jpg

MiniMag 2AA LED on Left and Fenix L2P on right both with Fresh NiMH AA Spot Focus
DCP_5699_MM2AALED_FBC-0.jpg

DCP_5700_MM2AALED_FBC-1.jpg

DCP_5701_MM2AALED_FBC-2.jpg

MiniMag 2AA LED with Fresh NiMH AA Spot Focus
DCP_5704_MM2AALED_FB-0.jpg

DCP_5703_MM2AALED_FB-1.jpg

DCP_5702_MM2AALED_FB-2.jpg

MiniMag 2AA LED with Fresh NiMH AA Wide Focus
DCP_5705_MM2AALED_WB-0.jpg

DCP_5706_MM2AALED_WB-1.jpg

DCP_5707_MM2AALED_WB-2.jpg

Extreme Close Pictures:
MiniMagAA2LED_EC_Head.jpg

MiniMagAA2LED_EC_body2.jpg

MiniMagAA2LED_EC_Tail.jpg
Runtime:
NiMH Runtime Data: The Light runs for over 4 Hours (apparently regulated) on 2500 mAH Energizer NiMH AA and has Abrupt Shut Down (no moon mode) but it is good for batteries, the battery voltage after the test was 0.95 Volts. If you wait for some time, you can again get light for some more time. Following are the detailed numbers.
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_NiMH.gif

NiMH Runtime Chart for above numbers
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_NiMH_Chart.gif

The above chart appears to be a regulated, but it can be pseudo regulation as the discharge curve of NiMH is inherently flat. Alkaline Chart will actually determine the real regulation capabilities.

Alkaline Runtime Data: The Light runs for over 3 Hours on Energizer Alkaline AA and has Abrupt Shut Down (no moon mode). Following are the detailed numbers.
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_Alk.gif

Alkaline Runtime Chart for above numbers
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_Alk_Chart.gif

The above chart does NOT appear to be a regulated, perhaps poor semi regulation would be appropriate.

Comparative Runtime Data: Below chart shows comparative runtime data
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_Com_Chart.gif

The total area under the curve for NiMH & Alkaline shows total light output over a period of time.

Current Rating: 8/10 Excellent

This review is also available here :)

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: MiniMag 2AA LED: A Well Balanced Light

Very nice pictures, thanks. It does looks reasonably bright, especially at spot but haven't I read that it is dimmer with nimh's then alkalines (at least when batteries are fresh)?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: MiniMag 2AA LED: A Well Balanced Light

Runtime Test for 2500 mAH Energizer NiMH AA's is underprogress and in the past 45 minutes, light ouput has been been very flat though slightly decreasing.

Last edited:

Flame

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review: MiniMag 2AA LED: NiMH Runtime Added...and... WOW!

ViReN said:
:ohgeez:Fellow CPFer Flame :) has been very kind to send it across the oceans for the review.

Very nice review and great pictures ViReN!

Glad the light finally made it, only a 20 day trip :)

Runtimes look pretty good. I think Mag did good on this one....

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great Runtime Graphs. This Light Is Really something. Too bad I gave it away.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep Flame :) .. but the fact is it arived safely....

I think it slowed down because of 9/11, extra precautions were taken by postal departments.

The fact that it drops just 5 % for a period of 2 hours 20 Minutes is really promissing. another 5% drop in another hour i.e. total of 10% drop in 3:20 Minutes, and from there, it goes out of regulation. when the light switches off abruptly, I noticed that the battery voltage stayed above 0.9 Volts, this is very healthy for NiMH Batteries, after the runtime test, I waited for a couple of minutes and switched it on again, the light was apprently in sort of 'moon' mode, I was worried about the batteries so didnt continue any further. However, I will try to do Alkaline test today and will check if it has similar behaviour. Alkalines would be a real test of regulation :p

InfidelCastro

Banned

Looks great, wonder what the 3AA is like.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

chevrofreak: no nothing at all, the light hardly got warm.

Today, I also completed the Alkaline Test. Results are not that impressive. Same flashing with Abrupt Shutdown.

The most interesting part is the Area under the curve (denoting Total Light Output over time)

The numbers speak for themselves. but it should also be noted that, there is still some energy left, perhaps after wating for 24 hours will revive most of the energy, tomorow i will do test with same batteries. lets see what we have got there.

#1 Updated with additional Charts.

clipse

Enlightened
I must have an over achieving 2AA maglight. It ran just over 4 1/2 hours on alkalines before shutdown.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

ViReN said:
chevrofreak: no nothing at all, the light hardly got warm.

Today, I also completed the Alkaline Test. Results are not that impressive. Same flashing with Abrupt Shutdown.

The most interesting part is the Area under the curve (denoting Total Light Output over time)

The numbers speak for themselves. but it should also be noted that, there is still some energy left, perhaps after wating for 24 hours will revive most of the energy, tomorow i will do test with same batteries. lets see what we have got there.

#1 Updated with additional Charts.

I fan cooled the lights I tested and my curves look quite a bit different than both yours and Roys. So far these lights are having some pretty inconsistent runtimes from unit to unit.... (my graphs https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132640)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like mine is a underacheaver, runtimes being less than others. But surprised at the curve for both Alkaline and NiMH getting started at near same point dispite NiMH being at 1.2-1.3 Volts and Alkaline 1.6 Volts.

chevrofreak: are you doing the runtime tests with NiMH Cells Hot off charger?

I am letting my NiMH Cells to 'stabilize' for atleast 1 day before putting them on test.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm running them hot off the charger. I see about 1.460 volts when freshly charged.

Running them after a one day cool down period would certainly explain it I think.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, now it explains for me too :)

Also, in my case, I am loosing around 10% in the process of one day cool down.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Letting them sit for a day would give a result that's more representative of the run-time achieved in "real life", though for comparison's sake, obviously all run-times need to be conducted similarly.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel said:
Letting them sit for a day would give a result that's more representative of the run-time achieved in "real life", though for comparison's sake, obviously all run-times need to be conducted similarly.

Somewhat, but it also doesn't take into account that most people wont run their light from full to dead in one shot.