River Rock lantern review - FlashlightReviews.com

attowatt

Enlightened
windstrings said:
Wiked..... Me likey!

Is it glowpaint or just power you used?.. and if only powder, what medium did you use to make it stick?

I have the glowpaint..I don't know if these make enough heat to be an issue.

I"ve even thought "what would happen" if you painted the globe with glowpaint instead of sanding it?.. you may get the same effect when on and an even better glow when its off?

Can "anyone" provide a link to anyone still selling these?

I can't find them in any of the target stores around me here and no one has them only that I can find!

windstrings: I used Darkzeros(sp?) method of mixing glow powder to 90 minute epoxy. The 4-5 minute epoxy sets up too quickly. Usint the 90 minute stuff gives you more time to stir in more powder. I have used this method (Darkzero) so much now that as I am mixing in the powder, I will stop and flash a bright incandescent on the mixture as it sits on the cardboard(mixing board) to see if it is bright enough or not. I have mixed so much powder in 1 time that I believe the ratio was more like 5 parts powder to 4 parts epoxy.

Slowly mix in the powder and you should be good to go. The 90 minute stuff gives you enough time to mix and apply.

Your painting the globe with glow paint sounds like an excellent idea as the consistency is probably thinner than the epoxy method. try it.

Wish you had hit me up a year ago as I had tons of the RR lanterns/flashlights. Now I have only the RR AAAx2 led lights.

Jim

underdust

Newly Enlightened
windstrings said:
Can "anyone" provide a link to anyone still selling these?

I can't find them in any of the target stores around me here and no one has them only that I can find!
Hi windstrings,

FYI... I just sent you a PM. I have an new/unopened River Rock lantern here that I'm not using. If you are interested in it, please let me know.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
dang... if someone could mod a RR Lantern with a XR-E... that would be insane! :D
Haha, I was just looking at one of these in Target not 20 minutes ago and thinking the same thing. :D

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
underdust said:
Hi windstrings,

FYI... I just sent you a PM. I have an new/unopened River Rock lantern here that I'm not using. If you are interested in it, please let me know.

I got my RR all perfect condition.... really cool.. I do like the light going down rather than up.... I want to be able to hang it off a limb and light up a little campsite area.

And I don't care much about a dim mode... I would never use it I don't think.. I'll put on some glowpaint to suffice for that...

Now I have to figure out the best place to apply... Humm.... I hate to cover any of the shiny reflective surfaces.. I have to find somewhere that would only by a plus without taking away....

Providing I can "first" figure out how to get this thing apart.. I barely got the batteries in! :laughing::laughing:

Thanks again Underwood for the little treat.. looks like I still owe you .80 cents.

Can someone tell me how to get this thing apart?
I don't want to break it by forcing anything... whats the secret combination.. I want to be able to put glowpaint on the top part of the inside?

---------------

ah.. I found two screws way up in those little triangular tunnels where the batteries are at.... now for a screwdriver to get that!

Last edited:

underdust

Newly Enlightened
windstrings said:
Thanks again Underwood for the little treat.. looks like I still owe you .80 cents.

You don't owe me anything. I'm glad it got there and that you're enjoying it. Have fun !!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got it all apart except getting to the actual LED.. I didn't have the nerve to go any further... so instead I put a "heavy" coat on all the top portions that are presently only painted grey...As well as a heavy drop dab in the bottomside of the reflector cup where light doesn't hit much anyway..

I would have loved to do the above mod too.. but oh well.... there is quite a bit more material the way I did it anyway.. just not in as perfect a spot....

This thing was too hard for me to get to risk destroying it....

I'll let it all dry and put it back together and post pictures later....

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
underdust said:
Have fun !!

Ok.. here goes... the finished product....

onwithflashSmallcopy.jpg

onwithoutflashSmallcopy.jpg

TopupsidedownwithglowpaintSmallcopy.jpg

bottomviewofglowpaintSmall.jpg

Topangledowndarkwithglowpaint4Small.jpg

bottomeviewindarkwithglowpaintSmall.jpg

bottomangleindarkwithglowpaint3Smal.jpg

darkwithglowpaint2Small.jpg

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
This transmits a fair amount of glowlight allright.. the top just takes abit longer to charge, but the bottom part on the underneath of the reflector cup is instant.

I wished I could have figured out how to get the last piece out... my tools are limited and so is my knowhow with these things.... but it would have been "even" better!

Those little silver rods not only connect the top to the bottom, they establish an electrical connection too... if not careful the glowpaint can act as an insulator on the top part of the bolts where they make contact with the top.

Once they find thier nitch, they connect every time.

I actually prefer the bright clear light from the River rock over the Osrams... but I'm not trying to read.. I want to light us as much as I can to see with.

Last edited:

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
dang... if someone could mod a RR Lantern with a XR-E... that would be insane! :D

I modded my RR lantern today w/ an XR-E. It was fairly easy and straightforward.

I pulled the old LED off the pedestal.
Cut the wires to the LED.
Scraped all of the old adhesive off with a knife.
I then used a handfile to shape the pedestal (very simple) so the XR-E would sit without shorting.
Glued the XR-E down w/ Arctic Alumina.
Removed the old negative wire from the converter.
Soldered the old postive wire to the postive top pad of the XR-E.
Soldered the new (longer) negative wire to the other top pad of the XR-E.
Routed the new longer negative wire under the pedestal.
Soldered the new longer negative wire to the converter.
Put it all back together and, voila, there is light.

In reality, my hands are super unsteady and getting those wires soldered to the tiny top pads was a major PITA. I even bumped the dome a bit w/ the soldering iron.

Anyway, the end result seems nice. The lantern seems brighter (no idea how much). I also did a little lantern dome sanding while apart to smooth the beam. I've had the lantern running for 4 hours now w/ lame old NiMh's. No significant heat and the beam is still strong.

This was really an exercise in learning about XR-E mods for me. I plan to move onto bigger things (4xXR-E or 3xXR-E bike light) soon.

later,
baker

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks baker, been thinkin about this one. i have a p2 bin x-re that may just end up in my river rock.

Bearcat

Enlightened
I was in Target today and saw something VERY similar to the RR lantern. There were three lanterns in one package, all different colors for $20. The only information on the box was that they were LED lanterns, took 4 AA batteries and were made in China. They were not in the flashlight section; I found them on the end of an isle in the store. Has anyone else seen these?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
These little lanterns are similar, but likely not nearly as bright as the River Rock. I've been tempted, and have been keeping an eye on them for price reductions. When they first showed up at Target they were $20, then went to $17 about a week ago. Now, for the last minute shoppers, they're back up to $20. After Christmas if there's any left, I figure they'll go down to $10 real quick.

Geoff

Bearcat

Enlightened
I was thinking the same thing and put them back on shelf and hope that there will be at least one left after Christmas for half price. It would be a real happy if they were as bright as RR and only ended up costing $3.34 each. I bet someone could mod them real easy.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks, keep walking. I bought a pack a couple weeks ago, and it took me less than 60 seconds to determine these are a complete piece of junk, with no redeeming qualities. :thumbsdowRiver Rock's they ain't. Fit, finish and performance are not even in the RR's ballpark. I'd spend another $20 on one RR over three of these at the $17 markdown price I paid. After Christmas you'll probably be able to buy the three-pack for $5 or less. Even then, I won't be in line, so worthless are they.

0:00 - Remove lantern from box.
0:05 - Note four cheap, anemic 5 mm LEDs pointing up toward a RR-like reflective cone.
0:10 - Remove threaded battery cover. Note two short sets of shallow threads molded into base, covering only about 30% of circumference.
0:30 - Load four AA batteries in the not-too-terrible battery holder and insert into lantern body.
0:45 - Struggle to screw battery cover into body. With loaded battery holder, it's impossible to screw the cover into the base without cross-threading the cover. :hairpull: You either have to keep screwing it in cross-threaded until it pops into the proper threads on the last turn, or push on the cover to pop it into the proper threads. Once situated, it seems secure, but how long can these cheesy, shallow plastic threads survive cross-threading at every battery change?
0:60 - Go into dark laundry room and press power button. Nothing. Diddle with battery cover, light flickers. Unscrew cover slightly -- find sweet spot -- light works. This is supposed to be a "lantern," right? Dim only begins to describe this thing. :candle: Someone mentioned that this lantern has only one power level. The RR has only one also, but could use another one or two. On this lantern, however, three power levels would equate to dim, dimmer, and dimmest. To put a dimmer on this lantern would be akin to donning a pair of sunglasses on the eve of a full moon. If you turned a River Rock 4AA, 1.5 watt lantern on, and turned this one on next to it, you would not even be able to see this lantern's illumination at all. To call the throw "ringy" is being polite. It casts a dim light only from the "horizon" upward about 45 degrees, with lots of pretty artifacts. At the very upper end of it's reach, the pattern is actually quite pretty ... looks sort of like a doily. :whistle: Illumination below the horizon is nonexistent. :poof: Fit and finish are, I suppose, what one would expect from a $5.66 made-in-china lantern.:shakehead

So, sixty seconds to ascertain it's a POS ... one hour to go back to store and stand in the return line. Don't bother. And if you're thinking maybe you could just give a set as a cheap gift, saying to yourself, "It's the thought that counts," your recipient will be asking himself after turning it on, "What was he thinking?":xyxgun:
It's really not worth modding. :dedhorse: That battery cover is going to give up the ghost quickly and undo all your hard work. Putting in a brighter LED isn't going to overcome the poor reflector. It's shape and orientation casts no light below the horizon. You can see the reflection of the four LEDs in it from a higher angle, but as you bring your eyes down to it's side, the LEDs disappear from sight. What's that sticker you see on the back of semi-trucks? "If you can't see me in my mirror, then I can't see you." The surface of the River Rock conical reflector has a radius to it, to help cast light downward also. This reflector does not. It has just a flat slope. Makes all the difference.

Yeah, the package looks cute and pretty... should move a lot off the shelves before Christmas. :sold: But in sales jargon, they're a "boomerang", or a "be back." :wave:

Last edited:

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Thanks Turbo for the info - I saw these recently and considered getting some tomorrow for modding. I wanted to spare my RR from potential 'first mod' carnage, but it looks as though those cheapo lanterns wouldn't make a decent host at all.

:)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Are you guys still finding the RR lanterns at Target? The local T-store hasn't carried them in aaaages, and I'm wondering if it's been discontinued or what.

Al

Enlightened
Just purchased RR lantern ... I think RR has read this thread.

The dome covering the LED on mine is not clear. It's been partially textured / frosted from its outer rim to about half-way to its center which is still clear. Still lots of artifacs in the "beam", though.

Scuffed up the dome w/ 120 grit ... artifacs gone.

Last edited:

Latest posts