Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

lexina

Enlightened
Secur1 said:
That's good :) I just made the order.
Will i have to make any other kind of modifications when i want to use the C lithium cells ? Like modding the switch or something along those lines ?

I don't think you need to make any changes to the stock Mag at all except for the addition of the extension ring mentioned by Aw to cater for the longer length of the C LiIons. The switch will easily handle the current for the drop-in.

Secur1

Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Extension ring ? Where might i aquire this then ? :)

mhubble

Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Got mine today. Very pleased with it. ALOT brighter than the MAXSTAR. Seems to be whiter too. Ran it for 30 min, no problem with heat at all. Didnt even get warm. Mine is in a 5-C cell. Will check it again tonight outside.

arty

Enlightened
I just got some Flashlightlens.com UCL lenses with LDF coating. This diffuses the beam to produce a great beam for walking with the 3W LED Mag drop in- used currently in a 4D Maglite. It is much better than the TerraLux drop in that uses 2 Jupiter LEDS - that one gives a nice wide beam, but with too little output for my taste.

Will the TerraLux 5W Seoul work OK with the UCL-LDF sandwhich or will it fry it?
Anyone know? I'd like a wide-bright beam for walking at night. The light may need to do double-duty as a dog defense light as well.

I asked if using the lens was appropropriate - but haven't gotten an email reply yet from Flashlightlens.com.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
mhubble said:
Got mine today. Very pleased with it. ALOT brighter than the MAXSTAR. Seems to be whiter too. Ran it for 30 min, no problem with heat at all. Didnt even get warm. Mine is in a 5-C cell. Will check it again tonight outside.

When you say it doesn't get warm, do you mean the upgrade module (with Maglite head removed) or the Maglite body itself?

mhubble

Enlightened

When you say it doesn't get warm, do you mean the upgrade module (with Maglite head removed) or the Maglite body itself?

I mean the maglite body itself. The original MAXSTAR had some heat issues for some people.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
mhubble said:
I mean the maglite body itself. The original MAXSTAR had some heat issues for some people.

Oh ok... is there any thermal connection between the SSC module and the Maglite body (e.g. metal to metal contact)? Thanks!

mhubble

Enlightened

Oh ok... is there any thermal connection between the SSC module and the Maglite body (e.g. metal to metal contact)? Thanks!

No connection between the module and body.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened

I got the 3 D and dropped it in last night and it is a lot brighter then I thought it would be. I think it is as bright as the Fenix L2DCE on high, but not turbo.
I am very happy since it has brought life to my old mag.
I also get the ministar2 for the AA mag and thought the drop on was lower then the high on the fenix L2DCE. This is just observation from shinning down the steps. Will try again tonight if there is a better way to compare lights.

Cydonia

Enlightened
bullpup said:
I got the 3 D and dropped it in last night and it is a lot brighter then I thought it would be. I think it is as bright as the Fenix L2DCE on high, but not turbo.
I also get the ministar2 for the AA mag and thought the drop on was lower then the high on the fenix L2DCE. This is just observation from shinning down the steps. Will try again tonight if there is a better way to compare lights.

And that's with a 3 cell Mag! Can't wait for more user reports of this TerraLux in a 4 cell...

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened

bullpup said:
Have you tried to put 4 C cells to compare brightness?

kurni

Enlightened

I have 6D and I have been considering this drop in. I understand the module will be hot; can the plastic reflector handle the heat?

What is the best (and easiest) way to dissipate the heat to the body?

Many thanks,
KK

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

kurni - It runs cooler than any hi output drop-in I've seen before (Lux II and K2) the reflector can easily handle the heat.

There's no easy way to dissipate heat to the body - it's fundamental design flaw of the Mag, thankfully the SSC emitters run much cooler than the Luxeons.

The emitter runs brighter on 4-6 cell lights than on 3 cell lights, the beamshot is from a 3 cell light. LiteBrite wants tekka0417 to install 4 C's into his 3D Mag (it can be done) to show the 4 cell output level.

kurni

Enlightened
Hi MattK, thanks for the clarification RE: reflector & heat. A very-impressive module indeed. I hope fivemega will have MOP that will fit the module as I cannot bore it myself. EngrPaul made me jealous.

MattK said:
the beamshot is from a 3 cell light. LiteBrite wants tekka0417 to install 4 C's into his 3D Mag (it can be done) to show the 4 cell output level.

A cut and paste from tekka0417's post: L1DCE 14500 (left) vs TLE-6EX SSC P4 on 4C NIMH (right)

The image is surprisingly similar to his previous post, which showed the 3D beamshot. I wish he had the stepped-down version so that I could compare the brightness properly.

He did admit tho that the cells were not fully charged. The average was 1.3v without load, and I assumed that the 4 NiMH exceeded 4.5v. I might be wrong tho, about the voltage under load.

Many thanks,
KK

BMRSEB

Enlightened
I just put my MiniStar5 SSC P4 in a 2D Mag running 6AA's (Advance Auto Parts alkalines) I have the 3AA to D adaptors, and this sucker is bright!! Very happy with the results.

Some of the beamshots posted don't really do justice to the spill. There's a decent amount and in the full throw position nonetheless!

The hotspot is just like the pics posted by tekka0417, nice and bright. Interesting observation though, I compared the beamshots to my Fenix L0D-CE on 10440 and the spill was actually brighter on the Fenix! The hotspot/throw was no contest as the Mag dominated, but again pleasantly surprised by my "little" L0D-CE.

Overall, I'm very happy with the MiniStar5 SSC. I can't wait to try it with 6 Energizer Lithiums!! :grin2:

Thanks, MattK!!

frosty

Enlightened

Got mine today. Thanks to Matt, only took 4 days to the UK. Initial impressions are that it totally blows away the other Mag drop-ins. Very bright and focuses right down to a tight ball of light with no visible artifacts. Very imprssive.

One question that Matt might be able to answer. I noticed a slight hazy appearance on the dome over the led, which I was going to try and wipe off with a piece of cloth. Then I remembered that someone had said that the domes on the SSC's are soft. Is this the case and should I just leave well alone?

Latest posts