Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

frosty

Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Majord said:
I'm sure this has been addressed but I can't seem to find the answer. I apologize if I'm re-asking it. :dedhorse: I currently am using my Ministar5 in a 4D set up and love it. However I am curious about also using it in my 2C/ 3 CR123 conversion Mag. Is this safe to use in that set up? I am using
standard CR123s not rechargables.

That's 9 volts in total. I believe the module is rated up to this level and can actually run up to 24 volts. Although this is at your own risk.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Any more updates on the TerraLux 6EX and how it performs in terms of brightness and lumen output compared to stock M*gLED? I was hoping for some reviews or testing of actual out the front lumen ratings. Some real numbers would be nice... 2.5X the actual real output of M*gLED was a rumor I heard...?

:anyone:

megawatt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Yeah, I was hoping for some reviews from Mag 6D users as well. I would love to find something like drop in easy to bring the 6D to life.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I whole slew of CPF'ers got their 6EX modules already I think. A few commented on what they thought but it wasn't much…
But it has now fallen silent again... As though the folks who got theirs are disappointed and sulking or something. I'm expecting mine to arrive any day and can't wait!

True

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm disappointed.

I just got mine... but it's DOA. I've only been able to get two tiny flashes out of it. Using near-new cells in a 3D Mag.

If there's one thing I hate, it's RMAing DOA stuff. I mean, if it dies that's fine, I got to experience a bit of it... but two measly flashes?

EDIT: Well, determined the issue. I was able to get the light to steadily stay on if it was screwed in and force was put on it at an exact point - tightened and the light wouldn't light up anymore. The problem was with the negative side of the terminal not making contact anywhere. There was also an issue with the positive side being a very fine point, and the light would turn off sometimes if shaken - after making it a little flatter, it doesn't do this anymore.

The hotspot seems a little brighter than my L2D on turbo, although it is a smaller spot. The spill is definately dimmer than on the L2D, although it covers a little more area. I'll post beamshots in a new reply.

Last edited:

bullpup

Newly Enlightened

I put mine in a three cell D mag.I thought it was very bright, As bright as my L2DCE on turbo. When I shined it down the steps the MAG's beam was a lot tighter maybe the size of a dinner plate vs a garbage pail lid. so maybe the brightness is coming from the tighter beam. I have since put in 4C batteries into the mag and a UCL lens. I do not think it is much brighter then before but it is still way bright. A fellow CPF'er (Mudman CJ) calculated it should be 22 % brighter then the 3D.
If someone tells me how to upload pictures and they best way to take them. I will tonight and compare it to the Fenix!!!

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened

True said:
I know I'm disappointed.

I just got mine... but it's DOA. I've only been able to get two tiny flashes out of it. Using near-new cells in a 3D Mag.

Check the module is really threaded down secure. I read that the older TerreLux modules acted this way sometimes, people thought it was dead, but it was just a bad connection between the bottom of the module and the Mag bulb socket. So try tightening it down more. Man, I hate hearing stories of DOA products. But you are returning it right?

bullpup said:
I put mine in a three cell D mag.I thought it was very bright, As bright as my L2DCE on turbo. When I shined it down the steps the MAG's beam was a lot tighter maybe the size of a dinner plate vs a garbage pail lid. so maybe the brightness is coming from the tighter beam. I have since put in 4C batteries into the mag and a UCL lens. I do not think it is much brighter then before but it is still way bright. A fellow CPF'er (Mudman CJ) calculated it should be 22 % brighter then the 3D.
If someone tells me how to upload pictures and they best way to take them. I will tonight and compare it to the Fenix!!!

I would think the extra brightness is from the focused Mag beam.
Interesting you didn't notice too much improvement with 4 cells over 3... 22% brighter on 4 cells VS 3 huh? (Argh. Should have gone straight for a Malkoff Devices in 2D format...)

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
DSC02006.JPG
DSC02006.jpg

DSC02010.JPG
DSC02008.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

From top to bottom: 6EX, 6K2, GUESS??
These were shot about 12 feet from the tree...using a 6d mag with fresh alkys

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cydonia said:
Any more updates on the TerraLux 6EX and how it performs in terms of brightness and lumen output compared to stock M*gLED? I was hoping for some reviews or testing of actual out the front lumen ratings. Some real numbers would be nice... 2.5X the actual real output of M*gLED was a rumor I heard...?

:anyone:

I was hoping for the same thing. One of these in a 6D mag would be awesome! 100+ lumens for who knows how many hours. :rock:

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened

Please someone post some pictures showing the flood of this drop in.

True

Newly Enlightened
Here's some crappy indoor shots until I get dressed to go outdoors (like, tomorrow):

1-30.jpg

1-125.jpg

I'll post the floody shots, as well as some others, tomorrow. It's got more spill area than my Fenix L2D-CE, but the spill isn't very usable like it is on the L2D-CE... probably because the contrast is so high.

Edit: And of course, the throw is much better than the L2D-CE (I don't have a need for throwy lights so I got this with the intent on it being my only player here :D). All I need is a better reflector than my scratched up stock one, and I'm in business.

JUST BE WARNED - I had to rig my module to work, it appeared DOA but it was just low quality workmanship... I'd verify that there aren't quality control issues before ordering this unit (unless you've already ordered one), or if my situation was just a one-off thing... I've had other TerraLux items (TLE-5 reflectors, some other Mag dropin) fail and break on me in the past, and getting a unit that didn't even work without modifications isn't helping me gain any confidence in TerraLux.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

why so many people complaining on lack of flood , i think the flood is pretty good

True

Newly Enlightened

qip, it's because they're used to floodier lights. There is flood, but it's not nearly as usable as it is with other lights. I'm fine with it not having much flood - it's my throw light, after all :)

kavvika

Enlightened

I just purchased a Seoul P4 emitter from dealextreme with the intention of upgrading one of my throwers, which are a MagLED 2C and a Coast Hocus Focus. How would a modded Seoul MagLED compare to this? Would I be better off waiting for the 2 cell boosted version? Does anyone know how the yet-to-be-released boosted module will compare to this one? I can wait however long I need to for the 2 cell version of this drop-in to be relased, and then use the emitter for my Coast instead.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you modded a mag with a hotlip and a seoul, the hotlip will win for sure.

there is more heatsink there and you could drive it at 1A or more!

the drop in has little heatsink compared to hotlip so, they can drive it high or it will get hot and die....

xiaowenzu

Banned
I ended up NOT purchasing the drop in after seeing the rather disappointing beamshots posted by DJ. Q. It's clear that my 6D plus Xenon lamp will out-throw and out-spill the Terralux 6EX. :grin2:
However those with 4D Mags and smaller will probably benefit from the upgrade in regards to throw and flood output. The 6D Xenon Mags are simply on a higher level.

However, if Terralux comes out with a brighter LED, such as the one Malkoffdevices is using (~200 REAL lumens!) then I will buy it. As of current, the Terralux is only doing ~145 real Lumens. My Xenon lamp does 200 Lumens according to Maglite website literature.. and it's a throw monster.

Last edited:

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened

I have mine in a 2D maglite with two of the 3A to D converters. Worked great, then I noticed I hadn't fully screwed on the bottom cap. When I tightened it down, the thing wouldn't light. The host maglite is very old, so I'll pick up a new maglite and see if I have the same problem.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also on the fence on this one too, but you have to realize that comparing this to a Xenon bulb in a 6D is not fair. This bulb will have less brightness, but will run perfectly regulated for probabley 5 times as long as normal 6D before it hits 50% brightness.

I'm just waiting for the beamshots comparing this to a 3DMagled before I jump on it, and some runtime graphs. :grin2:

xiaowenzu said:
I ended up NOT purchasing the drop in after seeing the rather disappointing beamshots posted by DJ. Q. It's clear that my 6D plus Xenon lamp will out-throw and out-spill the Terralux 6EX. :grin2:
However those with 4D Mags and smaller will probably benefit from the upgrade in regards to throw and flood output. The 6D Xenon Mags are simply on a higher level.

However, if Terralux comes out with a brighter LED, such as the one Malkoffdevices is using (~200 REAL lumens!) then I will buy it. As of current, the Terralux is only doing ~145 real Lumens. My Xenon lamp does 200 Lumens according to Maglite website literature.. and it's a throw monster.

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened

I receieved two 6EXs last night and immediately dropped one into my 3D Mag. I compared the new LED to three other lights... 2D Mag with older MagLED module, 3D Mag with newer MagLED module, and a Streamlight SL-20X.

Compared to the older MagLED/2D, the 6EX blows it away. Of course, so does my SF L2.
Compared to the newer MagLED/3D, the 6EX is noticably brighter. It's not massively brighter... but enough to be noticable. For target acquisition, I can get an extra 50ft. or so out of the 6EX.
Compared to the Streamlight, the two are almost equal, with the Streamlight being slightly brighter in the hotspot but having a less-exciting pattern.

I also noticed no significant heating issues with the TerraLUX after 30mins. runtime.

The 6EX is better than the MagLED, no question. Considering the pricing, I'd buy the 6EX over the MagLED any day. However, don't expect the 6EX to be MASSIVELY brighter than its OEM competitor. That said, it's still quite a competent light and will live in the truck along with my Surefire Fire Vulcan, Survivor LED, SureFire L2, etc.

I suspect my next purchase may be one of Gene43's custom MAGs.