New Mini MagLED multi-mode (pictures)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
yep, just picked up a red one for $10.97 at lowes today!

Me to. Seems like a great light for the money. Anyone try the candle mode they have listed on the back. Unscrew the bezel and put the tail inside for support. The exposed LED is pure flood and light stands solid. The glare is kinda bad on high and would mostly point the light up in a room as it tail stands as is but kinda cool. That alone was worth 10.99. :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two today. One is going to college with a nephew and the other is going to be strapped to my bicycling helmet to be used as a directional light while riding after dark.

I measured the current draw at the tailcap of this light at a little over 400mA on high. I did not measure the draw on low.

I would estimate the output to be around 80 lumens but it's only a guess based on other lights that I have.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the light module? I tried pushing it straight down into the tube but it would not budge. Maybe I need to apply more force? I'll read back through this thread to see if I can find this info.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to PCC --

Thank you for correcting that Current-Draw number.

Had me going :eek: for a bit.

:goodjob::thanks:
_

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also picked one up from Lowe's for a song. It's not bad for 11 bucks, but I am certainly spoiled by my other lights albeit they cost a LOT more.

I definitely want a UCL lens(already scratched the plastic stocker) & if there is a orange peel reflector plastic or aluminum I am interested since the ringing is not pretty.

The best mode is the candle mode. It is such a nice subtle room lighting effect.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went back to Lowe's yesterday to see if I could find any of the newer crop of Rebel Mini-MagLEDs and they were completely sold out. The other Lowe's in South San Francisco was sold out as well. Bummer.

I swapped the LED module with the one in my 2D Rebel MagLED and it was very bright but the current draw was scary. It was pulling 1.6A on my poor old and abused NiMH cells. I promptly swapped it back.

I'm thinking of modifying mine to take a Nite-Ize clicky button tailcap intended to be used with the incan Mini-MagLite.

FroggyTaco, you could always orange peel the reflector yourself.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got one, Lowe's had it on Black Friday for $10.97.

I should have grabbed a few, very nice improvement.

Time to stuff a Cree XP-G into that deep reflector!

zoomin0074

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these from lowes yesterday and it seems to have a yellow hotspot.. Is this normal? None of the pictures I have seen appear to have a yellow hotspot.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you planning on doing that? I have a few ideas but need to buy some hardware, first.

I may use a 500mA MicroPuck LED Driver and a Cree XP-G R4,

I'm just not sure it will fit. There are also a few good 14mm drivers at the Shoppe like the Badboy, GD, or SOB. Just a few ideas.

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Picked two up today from Lowes. They were on sale for $10.97

Kept one for me and gave one to my dad. Not bad for an $11 light. The multi mode is kinda nice.

Kubbie

Newly Enlightened
Picked up two of these 2AA Multimode at Lowes. I can't get either to cycle into any other mode other than high. Twist on-off quickly right?

Any help for a dummy...or did I get two fault circuits?

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Picked up two of these 2AA Multimode at Lowes. I can't get either to cycle into any other mode other than high. Twist on-off quickly right?

Any help for a dummy...or did I get two fault circuits?

Yeah just off then on again quickly.

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
huh you're right, if I do mine too quickly it won't change.

So yeah what FroggyTaco said :)

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Hmm maybe you need to take it back then. Mine has worked fine. Bummer :(

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Sometimes the flash and SOS disco stuff makes me think it didn't change but it does as these are all set on high. I think the UI needs a faster change to go from high to low etc but if you hold off for a few seconds it turns back to the high on any mode. This is ok by me.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
When purchasing the new Mini MagLED multi-mode on sale for $9.88 at Home Depot, I noticed there were 2 types of tail caps:

• gray colored flashlights had tail caps with a lanyard hole
  • black colored flashlights had no lanyard hole

I bought the gray flashlight with a lanyard hole on the tail cap. For a while, I used the stock tailcap as a "twisty" switch to turn on the light and switch among the modes. This let me keep my preferred focus without having to refocus the head each time.

Then, I replaced the stock tailcap with a reverse clicky pushbutton tail switch from a TerraLUX TCS-1 Switch Upgrade Kit. The TCS-1 switch has a soft rubber cover and a good tactile feel.

The TCS-1 lets me power on the light in High brightness mode with a full depression (until the switch clicks), then push using partial depressions until I reach the desired mode.

Note: I don't know if the TCS-1 will work with Mini MagLED multi-mode lights which came with the non-lanyard tail caps.

minimag-terralux-switch.jpg

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Sorry to be a different voice here, but I don't get what the fanfare is here? So, it's a Mag light and can be bought by the public in a bricks and mortor shop. That's not too useful for most people on this forum. The internet is an easy place to shop and, especially this year, has gotten far more sales than in the past.

I have many flashlights and most of them are more powerful and versatile than this new multimode Mag. So, what's the big deal? For example, my iTP A3 is tiny, uses both a single AAA battery or a10440 li-ion. It puts out twice the lumens on high on a single AAA battery than this Mag apparently does and has a low-low. My Nitecore D10 ramps up with continuous variability and puts out 150 lumens on a NiMH or alkaline AA battery. The iTP costs about the same as this new Mag. Of course the D10 costs more, but it is in the reasonable range for LEDs. I have both the 2AA and 3AA versions of Mag lights, purchased when they first came out a couple of years ago. The hot spot is very small compared to the new XP-G lights, they are too large for my liking, and they aren't that bright. It looks like the hot spot shown here is also small. So, why would anyone here get excited about this. Please help enlighten me? The only advantage I can see is that you might pick it up on sale for around $12 if you are lucky and persistent.

Last edited: