Flashlight for tow truck operator

sadriel

Newly Enlightened
My husband has asked for a flashlight for christmas. The link he sent me was this one... http://voidhawkflashlights.com/brightest_led_flashlight/ Trext 2
We run a towing company, which is mainly what the flashlight will be used for. Sometimes we need to just light up under a car to hook up and sometimes we need to search a field or the woods to find the car that went 100+ yards off the road. It would be great for it to be able to be charged in the truck, and we do live in Vermont so its cold so batteries that could handle freezing temps would be a huge plus. Theres so many options... I figured I'd ask the experts. Thank You!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $100.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:
Any
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

I don't know/I need more information on power sources. Would prefer rechargeable

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Id like one that adjusts to do both

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode") Not neccessary, but would be an added bonus

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a compromise that one makes with a flashlight that zooms. When focused for throw, the beam quality often shows some rings and small artifacts. At the farthest throw setting (i.e., when completely zoomed), the beam takes on the texture of the LED itself. In addition, with an aspheric lens such as the one used in the VoidHawk T-Rex T2, lumen output falls by as much as 50% when focused for throw.

That said, on paper, it looks like you are going the right direction. A zoomie is the only way you can get the long throw you need in the same flashlight you use for close work. I have never used the T-Rex T2, so I cannot recommend it from personal experience. If you go with the T2, however, I recommend buying your charger and batteries elsewhere. Xtar makes excellent chargers. You may be able to get one that is powered from the cigarette lighter in your truck, and has a USB connector. In the USA, Mountain Electronics and Illumn are two well-respected vendors who sell quality chargers and batteries at reasonable prices.

For sub-zero usage, you may want a light that can run on CR123A batteries. CR123A are not rechargeable, but they work better at cold temps than other batteries. You could use rechargeable Li-ion most of the time, but keep some CR123A batteries for those super cold winter nights.

As an alternative to the zoomie you are considering, you could buy two lights: a floody headlamp for close work, and a dedicated, handheld thrower for long-range searching. The hands-free advantages a headlamp offers are significant. Once you try one, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Good luck with your search. Please keep us updated with your decision making.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Coast HP7.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Coast-HP7R-Rechargeable-(Li-ion-pack-4x-AAA)
This review may help.

250-300' in the rain. Cropped photo

^^ the steeple is about 300 yards.

Battery lasts a few hours on high. Holds a charge for a few months, comes with a sheath and a lanyard.
If you slide the tail end open a bit it tail stands (ie sets on it's tail for hands free), high, strobe, low.
It's only 200 lumens but Ima tell ya, the Coast lens makes it appear a lot brighter.

We here at cpf are fussy about tint color, rings in the beam and what not. But that Coast is a great flashlight for those who seek a good, durable flashlight.
And also check out the aa version of the rayovac indestructable. $15 at home depot.

I found mine at Amazon for like $90.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Fenix uc35 would make a good option, USB charge so he could plug in and top off in the truck. No doubt be brighter than the link and far better made(cheaper too). Not a zoomy but a happy medium of throw/spill so an all round useful light that can slip in pockets to free up hands. To go with this, maybe a head lamp, be it fenix or nitecore. Quite a few different ones to choose from and will allow illumination whilst freeing both hands up for work:)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ix-UC35-micro-usb-rechargeable-max-960-lumens

Also for a neutral tint, the fenix pd40 which is 26650 fed(same cell type as link)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396908-Fenix-PD40-MT-G2-images-and-Beamshots
The pd40 would require a separate charger , maybe an Xtar vc2 which is a USB charger.
Nitecore ec4s as well for a neutral tint from the mtg2 led.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ORE-EC4S-XHP50-NW-(2sx18650)-REVIEW&p=4733849

Defo wants a zoomy? then maybe a Fenix fd40, again 26650 fed.

:welcome:

sadriel

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the quick and thoughtful responses.

The photos of the coast hp7 are impressive. I really like the built in USB port on the uc35.

I like the headlamp and dedicated thrower option. He wears one of those baseball caps that has the leds and he uses that all the time and really likes it.

It sounds like my money is best spent to get him a good dedicated thrower.

Could you recommend some options on a thrower in my price range? Size of the thrower doesn't matter but I'd still like rechargeable options.

Thank you so much.

Taz80

Enlightened
Take a look at the Nitecore MH27 (rechargeable) or the Olight M23 (not rechargeable) The Olight seems a little more rugged to me and I don't really trust the rubber cover on the USB port to stay in place and keep the light dry. Since this is going to be a work light and is likely to get beat on and see more than it's share of foul weather it's best to keep things simple.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven knows powerful lights! Sometimes they are big, sometimes they are small. But they are almost always powerful!

The Olight SR52UT is one of the smaller ones. It uses three 18650 batteries that fit into the handle side-by-side. For most people, that is not a small light, but you should see some of Ven's big ones!

Although my knowledge of the SR52UT comes only from reviews, I think you would love it!

sadriel

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to go for the nitecore mh27, Because of its smaller size and rgb LEDs. Just wish I knew whether the rgb LEDs produce usable light for walking trails at night or if they are for signal lights?

Taz80

Enlightened
For smooth walking trails, so you don't step on dog poop or trip on sticks, I'd say the RGB's would be ok. For hiking trails I'd want something brighter, a 40mm diffuser would work well with the white light for that.

sadriel

Newly Enlightened
So I ended up purchasing the MH27 which came with a diffuser for my husband.

My mom ended up purchasing SR52ut for my father (he goes boating a lot seemed like a great option for that)

Really excited for them to come in and see how great they perform.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'll make sure to come back and tell you all how they like them. Really, really appreciate you all taking the time to help!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I ended up purchasing the MH27 which came with a diffuser for my husband.

My mom ended up purchasing SR52ut for my father (he goes boating a lot seemed like a great option for that)

Really excited for them to come in and see how great they perform.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'll make sure to come back and tell you all how they like them. Really, really appreciate you all taking the time to help!

You did your homework! From what I have read, those are two very nice flashlights.

Let us know if they live up to your expectations.

ven

Flashaholic
You did your homework! From what I have read, those are two very nice flashlights.

Let us know if they live up to your expectations.

+1, look forward to impressions, i think your father is going to be very happy!! If he is not too well up on flashlights, show him the review/s and he will soon appreciate the brand and LED , USB function.

Cells, ideally some button tops x3 , 3400mah are ideal with all considered(value) and find efest or keeppower good value choices with panasonic inside. Beauty too is the simple UI, and can run in high for as long as the cells so "NO MORE!" . Once you cant hold high and it drops a mode to medium, time to top the cells back up:)

dave101

Newly Enlightened
I imagine most of the work is up close. I'd recommend the Armytek Wizard.
Need something to reach out as well? Nitecore MH20 is pocketable and accomplishes this job well.
I carry this combination almost on a daily bases.

jacksmith69

Newly Enlightened
This is a great thread. Thanks to sadriel for starting the thread & thanks to all for the help. I myself run a small towing company, will save this page for when I'll need to buy a flashlight for myself as well.