UVPaqlite Review - The most indestructible lantern ever

parametrek

Enlightened
Looking for a reliable, compact, simple, indestructible lantern that is made in US? Willing to trade a little CRI for the most unique design you've ever seen? Read on for my first ever serious light review: the UVPaqlite.

I really like LEDs and their uses. For fun I type up every scrap of information about flashlights in my free time and using that info to help people find their perfect flashlight. The big parts of "perfect" for me are efficiency, simplicity and minimizing waste. LEDs, even the earliest, were such a huge improvement over incans. Similarly when rechargeables displaced primaries for general use. It is such a relief to no longer have to throw out bulbs or batteries.

But can we do better? It is nice to have a bulb that won't shatter, but even LEDs stop working if they are cut in half or smashed with a hammer. And while using less batteries is good, maybe there are lights out there that don't need any batteries. There is still room for improvement, new technologies to explore. The UVPaqlite treads new territory by breaking every preconception of what a lantern should be. Consider it's unique advantages:

• Waterproof• No fragile circuit boards
• Lightweight• Rechargeable
• Floats• Immune to over-current and over-voltage
• Drop proof• Solar powered
• Only 4mm thick• Totally EMP proof
• Foldable• Batteries will never age or lose capacity
• Crush proof• Convenient hanging loop
• Multiple sizes• Smoothly variable output
• Simplest possible UI• Optionally non-metallic
• No moving parts• Neutral white temperature
• No batteries• No integrated circuits

Of course nothing comes for free. There are downsides and tradeoffs:

• Single mode
  • Minimal throw
  • Green-ish tint
  • No off switch
  • Poor CRI
  • No user interface

Maybe you are scratching your head. No batteries? Is it powered by magical pixie dust? Yes, though I would call it magical pixie refractory cement. In 1993 the secret that turns a high temperature cement into a light emitting technology was discovered. It is completely inert, odorless, noncombustible, has high hardness and is stable up to 2000C. Sadly the photonic properties are not as stable as the base material. At temperatures of 1090C it will stop emitting light. Though 1000C is the temperature of a candle flame, so you should have a ready alternate source of light in that event.

Principally the UVPaqlite is constructed out of two materials: a multi-layered polyethylene shell and the light-emitting strontium aluminate ceramic. The outer layer of polyethylene is two sheets of 4 mil plastic, and the inner layer is two sheets of 10 mil plastic, for a total of 28 mil. This is tough stuff! The ceramic particles are typically two to four millimeters across.

The UVPaqlite is designed primarily for outdoor use and comes in three sizes:

sizeweightvolumemax outputthrow
15x19.5 cm37 grams54 cc6 lumens1.1 meters
20x25.5 cm71 grams101 cc12 lumens1.6 meters
20x38 cm96 grams150 cc20 lumens2.0 meters

(Volume, lumens and throw are my own measurements.) For reference, an 18650 cell is around 67 cubic centimeters and 46 grams. The UVPaqlites do indeed pack light and are hardly noticeable in a backpack. Here is a beamshot:

It is nice to see that they are not using the typical angry purple-blue harsh LEDs common to many camping lanterns.

Here are the three sizes again, with a banana for scale:

Here is a closeup of the emitter:

Now, on their website they claim a 10 hour runtime after only a minute of solar charging. This is not ANSI runtime (to 10%) or even Black Diamond runtime (to 0.25 cd). It seems their runtime is how long the emitter is visibly emitting light, one of the most generous ways of measuring runtime I've ever heard of. It seems like an appropriate way to rate the runtime of an illuminated marker, but not a lantern.

In my own tests, it was still visible after 10 hours though the luxmeter stopped detecting light approximately 5.5 hours into the test at 0.007 lumens. Besides the extremely generous runtime cutoff, they have one of the most severe step-downs that I have ever seen in a light. I do appreciate that it is smooth dimming, allowing your eyes to adjust, instead of an abrupt step. I was unable to calculate the exact algorithm for dimming. It is not linear, quadratic or even exponential. Superficially it bears a resemblance to a half-life decay pattern, except that the half life gets longer and slower as the charge runs down. ANSI FL1 specifies that we turn on the light, wait 30 seconds, note the output, and begin timing until output falls to 10%. With that metric, we get a runtime of 6 minutes. But since the dimming rate depends on the charge, here are several runtimes:

chargeruntime
20 lumens1.25 minutes
10 lumens2.5 minutes
5 lumens6 minutes
2 lumens11 minutes
1 lumen20 minutes
0.1 lumens2 hours

The beam pattern is pure flood. There is no reflector or optics, saving weight and bulk. The pattern is fairly non-conventional for a lantern. It is double lobed, bright from the front and from the back but rather dim when viewed edge-on. If you know microphones, think bidirectional figure of eight. This graph only shows one side.

Maukka was kind enough to run a sample through his gamut of tests:

4600K is a good tint, but the 55 CRI leaves much to be desired.

The combination kit I got also came with two of their re-usable glowsticks. These are one of the cheapest items they sell, and it shows a little. It is a simple resin cast, with a layer of strontium aluminate particles suspended. The edge of the cast were fairly rough. While they did already knock off the worst of it, I still felt a need to go over it with a hand file. The two glowsticks can be tied together to make a single longer stick. I found this usable for reading as long as the glowstick was wider than the page. On a single charge, I could read a book for 90 minutes.

UVPaqlite is not the exclusive user of this technology. However they are the only people I know of using pure, unadulterated material. Everyone else grinds the strontium aluminate into a fine powder, which is then blended into a plastic. The fineness of the powder reduces how long it glows and all of the non-glowing plastic blended reduces the brightness. Here is a small compass made by Brunton. You can see the spots where some of the fine powder clumped together. These spots are as bright as the Paqlite, but overall the Paqlite is seven times brighter per square centimeter. When they say they are the brightest, they are not exaggerating.

For sturdiness and reliability, there is no technology that even comes close. There is no glass to break, batteries to leak, circuits to burn out. It is waterproof, crushproof and bendable. It will not lose potency after decades of use or storage. It is the ultimate cockroach light.

The design and engineering of the Paqlite is, in a word, perfect. Usually I can find at least one bad engineering decision that I wish I could fix. The most questionable part is the use of a common food-type vacuum packing bag for the outer layer. It still even has the "tear-here" notch! But as a cost-effective production engineering hack it is very clever. The Paqlite's design appear to be at a local optimum, and I see no way they could be made lighter or sturdier or more effective. It simply can't be improved upon, and that makes it a pleasure to use.

The large Paqlite works adequately as a night light in a typical bedroom, even charged by nothing more than ambient light. When it is the only light available and your eyes are dark-adapted it is more than sufficient to avoid tripping over obstacles. I suspect it will be handy in extended power outages and I look forward to trying it when camping. The smaller sizes will likely work inside a tent, but I'd stick with the largest unless you are counting every gram.

They do have a wide variety of other styles which might fit your needs better. I already mentioned the glowsticks. After the Paqlite, they have a heavier and more stylish version called the Matlite. While the Paqlite resembles astronaut food, the Matlite appears like a small plastic cutting board. Personally I'm not interested in the Matlites, since they are heavier and more expensive. If I had a boat or RV, the Matlites would be a good addition. The glowsticks also have a stylish version called the Tooblite, which are cylindrical and have a more even distribution of strontium aluminate. For EDC purposes, they have a 44mm long matlite luggage tag, a keychain-sized Tooblite Mini and a necklace pendant.

The smaller versions seem like they would make great markers, as a low cost and robust alternative to tritium. Hang them on doorknobs or glue a tag to a light switch plate. However if I were using them as markers outdoors I would compliment it with some retro-reflective cord to make it easier to find under more circumstances.

Overall there is nothing else like the Paqlite and in many ways they are superior to LEDs. Presently the low CRI is the largest weakness. I am curious if a white version with multiple colors blended could help.

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
Thanks, been waiting for you to test it! Too bad their shipping costs to Europe are a bit too high. (edit: nice, Amazon also carries them)

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI is a bit complicated. Might have to reprogram the driver. Do you think they'll supply a discount code? The orb has me interested

Last edited:

BloodLust

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking of picking up the Mat and possibly cutting it to size to put near emergency exits.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The holiday scout pack with the large UVPaqlite looks to be a better value if wanting the largest is the priority, though Amazon will sell just the large for a little cheaper than the UVPaqlite website. I bought a pair of Strontium Aluminate glow-in-the-dark dock cleats from Sportsman's Guide years ago. Even placed in one of the darkest parts in our bedroom, the glow lasts all night. It might be said that the iceblue will glow for just as long. It just does not have the initial brightness like the green. That's what my eyes see.

Thanks for bringing this product up!

bkb

Newly Enlightened
I use the clap on version of these to light my entire house at night for free. Works great.

filibuster

Enlightened
These are in fact a real product that have been around for a good number of years and I can add a longer term experience about them to the discussion.

About 5 or 6 years ago (before 2012) I purchased one of each size they had. In short, unless they've made improvements to the outer polyethylene shell material holding the glow ceramic granules I found that my two larger UVpaqlites had delaminated and lost their vacuum seal so the ceramic glow-in-the-dark granules were no longer held in place inside the packs.

The polyethylene shell does appear to get brittle with age and I'm sure exposing it to the sun during the day to charge it up hasn't helped the shells longevity. Any puncture or break in the shell will cause the packs to lose their vacuum seal and let the granules shift and clump together inside the pack. That means they aren't really crush proof and you do have to take care to not fold, crease or crack the shell of the packs, or do anything that would weaken, prick or break the shell and let air inside. The material will still charge and give off light but will no longer be evenly spread out inside the pack.

Their other products that encapsulates the glow-in-the-dark material inside a flexible or solid material are all doing just fine and still shine or glow when the lights go out with just being exposed to in-door room lights. There best use for me has always been a marker for a path or a location to provide a frame of reference in the pitch dark which they've done well for.

parametrek

Enlightened
You are completely right! Egg on my face for forgetting about PE's long term aging. I really should know better, I'm still finding shards and chips of PE sheeting from a 10 year old project.

Though there are options to restore the Paqlite. If you have a vacuum sealer, re-seal it. Or coat the 10 mil sheet with a thin layer of spray adhesive and sprinkle the grains onto it. Or get some optical resin and cast the particles into a DIY matlite.

The stronium aluminate should last a lifetime, even if the packaging fails.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their UVMatlite Mini looks interesting to me. It's about 2.5 x5 x .25" of semi flexible epoxy filled with the GITD compound.
In your entertaining and informative review, you mention that the material glows longer when it's not ground finely, so I'm thinking that there's some light recycling going on, with GITD shining onto GITD and recharging as the overall light decreases.
So applying a reflective coating to the back and sides of the UVMatlite Mini might give the light a bit more endurance, it will certainly help with glare.
For 12$ I'm interested, though getting one of the vacuum bagged options and repackaging it in epoxy yourself is probably a better, messier deal.

parametrek

Enlightened
One year update.

Not much to say other than the medium paqlite has sprung a small leak and is no longer perfect vacuum sealed. It felt different out of the box so it might have been a manufacturing defect. Doesn't affect the use of the light and none of the granules have settled to the bottom or anything.

They are still just as much fun to play with. :)

zeroair

Newly Enlightened
I expect updates in a logarithmic timescale. See you in 2028!!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to glorope.com (interesting site for glow folks) and bought various rope and cord, thinking I could coil them, put them in a ziploc bag, evacuate as much of the air as possible, and have a similar product with the added advantage of having useful rope as well. Turns out only the sheath has the glow material. And even though it is the high quality Strontium Aluminate type, there is not enough material to hold brightness like the chunky UVPaklite can. Glorope, by-the-way, is the same company that made the solid glow in the dark dock cleats that I bought many years ago and they still perform well to this day (mine are inside). Turns out fancy people did not trust a "plastic" dock cleat to hold their expensive water craft, so Glorope made an aluminum dock cleat and coated it. It probably does not perform as well. There is also a brand of rubber dog ball that glows in the dark. That ball has thickness and good quality glow material. It is the second best glowing object I have.