Zebralight SC5 mk2 - great useless flashlight

BBL

Enlightened
Hi guys! Rant mode, sorry.

Just received my zebralight sc5 mk2. Everything is great about that light - UI, tint, size, weight, anodizing, etc.

But i'm not going to use it - because of the knurling. It has a rockwell-60 hard file on the outside that is going to mess up everything that has prolonged contact.

I usually carry flashlights on 4000ft hikes where i'm not going to take great care what i put together in my bag and pockets. When i carry this flashlight for two days, constantly rubbing against eg. my cellphone, knife, headlamp, camera - there is going to be a mark. The knurling can easily scratch the plastic handles on a benchmade griptilian as well as the G10 handles on a benchmade 300. This is not wear from use, this is unsuitable equipment.

When i buy a flashlight, i dont want to have to think about details like this. It is possible to build flashlights with good knurling that is not too sharp - zebralight did that on the SC600 mk1. The days of useless shelf-queen flashlights should be over.

My point is - be warned and dont buy flashlights without taking every detail into consideration.

ven

Flashaholic
Would a holster help out some, just a thought. I have the sc5c and not had any issues so far.....love the little thing.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine would constantly chew its way out of the 5th pocket of my pants.

I thought it was just trying to get away?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys! Rant mode, sorry.

Just received my zebralight sc5 mk2. Everything is great about that light - UI, tint, size, weight, anodizing, etc.

But i'm not going to use it - because of the knurling. It has a rockwell-60 hard file on the outside that is going to mess up everything that has prolonged contact.

I usually carry flashlights on 4000ft hikes where i'm not going to take great care what i put together in my bag and pockets. When i carry this flashlight for two days, constantly rubbing against eg. my cellphone, knife, headlamp, camera - there is going to be a mark. The knurling can easily scratch the plastic handles on a benchmade griptilian as well as the G10 handles on a benchmade 300. This is not wear from use, this is unsuitable equipment.

When i buy a flashlight, i dont want to have to think about details like this. It is possible to build flashlights with good knurling that is not too sharp - zebralight did that on the SC600 mk1. The days of useless shelf-queen flashlights should be over.

My point is - be warned and dont buy flashlights without taking every detail into consideration.

I would be happy to take it from you for a few years and work on wearing it down for you. It's better than using a dremei or a lathe as it's more gradual

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
If I put my light(s) in my pack for trail use, I do get concerned that the lenses will get scratched due to contact with other items. So I use a small mesh bag with a draw-string for the light, as the bag is flexible it takes the shape of the light and doesn't take up any extra space in the pack. It protects against abrasion really well. Might this help?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the knurling is a little extreme. They have the S53 that just came out, but H1 is 220 lumens less. So no go on that one for me.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a 4Sevens quark single cr123 pouch for mine.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i carry this flashlight for two days, constantly rubbing against eg. my cellphone, knife, headlamp, camera - there is going to be a mark. The knurling can easily scratch the plastic handles on a benchmade griptilian as well as the G10 handles on a benchmade 300.
with all due respect, your carry system needs to be improved

I would not put a light, a knife, a cell phone, headlamp, and camera, together loose in a pocket, or bag, where they can tumble around rubbing together.

I use a pocket slip for my knife, IF I put it in a pocket with other objects.
I use a dedicated pocket for my light, or I put it in a protector sleeve of some sort.
My phone has a dedicated pocket, it does not ride with keys, coins, knives, or flashlights.

And if I buy a light whose knurling is too rough for my delicate hands, I use 600 grit emery paper to knock the sharp points off.

In your case, since you don't like the light, just return it. fwiw, the SC53 does not have the knurling. And, the SC53 weighs less, costs less and is brighter than an HDS.:)
SC53 on left, SC5 on right:
35897083992_4c1ce0987f_c.jpg

However, Zebras have NoNichia, and there are reports that the Zebras flicker...

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a holster help out some, just a thought. I have the sc5c and not had any issues so far.....love the little thing.

+1. I find no issues with mine as well. Carry it every day. Well, being a wise guy I keep it alone in a pocket :) Reminds me 6P knurling (harsh as well), but with smaller "diamonds".

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about putting heat shrink tubing, paracord, or even just electrical tape over the knurling?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the more aggressive knurling and haven't had any issues yet with it. The pocket clip was a bit too stiff at first, but I bent it a little and now it works fine.