Two Part Recommendation Q1: Malkoff or Elzetta? Q2: Recommendation for Small EDC.

GMF3

Newly Enlightened
I have plenty of SureFire and Streamlight lights. I'm looking for something new and exciting. I'm tired of the same ol' lights. I don't have a particular use for the light other than I'd like new one to add to the collection. I've done some research and have narrowed down,.*I think* to between:

1. Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L

2. Elzetta C332 (Charlie)

Second part of my question... I don't really have an EDC. As far as size. I have plenty of say SureFire G2X's and they're around 5.2 inches.

As for a size example, I'm looking at something around the size of maybe an Olight S1, Elzetta A311, SureFire V1 Vampire, Streamlight ProTac 1L etc.

I'd prefer it run on one CR123A or have it be rechargeable. I think I'm leaning towards the SureFire E1B Backup. It's currently being sold for $150.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since you don't have a specific use in mind, you may get more useful advice if you list your most commonly used dozen or so torches, and what you like or dislike about each ... :thinking:

And, FYI, the E1B has been discontinued for some time now.

matt4350

Enlightened
If you're buying for no other reason than adding something good, you should be quite happy with the Charlie. One of my favourites for lighting up a comparatively large area with a little bit of reach. I don't have a Hound Dog, but I do have a Malkoff M91T with an MD3 body that I run on 18500 cells. I chose this over a Hound Dog because it's easier to wear on a belt or put in a pocket. In my mind, your choice seems between primary cells (the Charlie) or rechargeables in the Malkoff if you don't have any real concerns as to how you're using it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Elzetta Charlie and the Malkoff Hound Dog. If you have specific questions about those devices, I'd be happy to oblige. Personally, I find the Hound Dog to be irreplaceable.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Elzetta Charlie is pretty good for almost any use. It's ok for pocket carry, if a little on the large side and small enough to comfortably hold for almost any task. They won't take rechargeable batteries though. You can also have the Charlie custom engraved.

The Hound Dog is bigger than the Charlie but will accept rechargeable batteries and offers more reach. You wouldn't want to carry it in your pocket though.

The Hound Dog and Charlie are both fantastic lights and if all you are looking for is a new and exciting light then both of them will meet this requirement.

As for an EDC light you could consider the Malkoff MDC. It comes with a CR123 version with both multiple modes or single high output. It has a clip permanently attached as opposed to the Alpha which has a detachable clip available.

I work in law enforcement. I currently have a Stinger DS HL on my belt but I also have the Charlie C133 as a backup and a Hound Dog in my bag. Charlie is useful for close up and interior work and the Hound Dog when I'm outside and need more throw for searching or lighting up a scene.

Malkoff and Elzetta are probably my two favourite light manufacturers along with Streamlight and SureFire.