Anyone remember the Vari Beam Flashlights???

fishnfst

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a couple of these Vari Beam flashlights that were made by mag instruments. I was told that they were going to be marketed under this name before they changed it to mag lite. They are actually trademark stamped vari beam on the bezels. They are blue with silver tailcaps and bezel ring... Are they rare or are they pretty run of the mill? Looks pretty much like a maglite with a different name...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
These were sold for use by auto mechanics in the '80s. I've seen a couple. Don't think they're ultra-rare, but they're not common. Do you want to sell one?

Last edited:

fishnfst

Newly Enlightened
Let me see how many I can dig up. Right now I only have two and am going to keep one stock and drop my space needle II internals into the other...

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3D Vari Beam and yes these were actually the early Maglite's before they even applied the new brandname. Mine Was purchased in the late ' 70's or very early ' 80's and they were not inexpensive by any means back then. Mine still runs like a champ and doesn't look too shabby either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstick

Newly Enlightened
I found one 🤠

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_080725068.jpg
    IMG_20230827_080725068.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230827_080816435.jpg
    IMG_20230827_080816435.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 106

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is bound to be more old Maglites, Kel-Lites, B-lights, etc. coming to a Goodwill near you, as we of the Baby Boomer Generation die off, and the younger generation liquidate Grandpa's "schtuff". They will have no desire for an old, obsolete incandescent flashlight, that likely has a stuck alkaleak in it, or the residue of one in it. Goodwill will likely through out the ones with stuck batteries, or battery residue, which means only the most pristine ones will get put out on the shelves.
:drool:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Just wondering if anyone here snagged that 4C Vari Beam that sold on the big auction site last night for a little over $150. It was in real nice condition, and one of the earlier "paten pending" ones. I knew it would go for more than what I wanted to spend on one - plus, I'd more prefer a 2C or 3C. I figured Jay likely got it. I haven't really noticed him on here lately.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched it as well. Good price it was in nice condition. Possibly Jason snagged it. You don't see many C cells Vari-beam regardless of size

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are all these 20 year old threads popping up on the recommended threads? I'm not talking this one specifically since guy actually had a legit reason to revive it but there are so many that show up.