APLOS AP70C dive light

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come across a LED diving flashlight at very low cost, though am not a diver. It includes red and 365nm UV, wondering what these are useful for underwater.

Dave

arek98

Enlightened
Red lite IMHO is useless. I guess idea is that creatures are not scared that much by red light as white.
On day dive you may use flashlight to look into holes but if anything is there it will hide whatever you do unless it is not scared anyway (like moray eel). If you want to take a picture it is better to to have your camera and white light ready pointed away and then aim and try to take a shot.
On night dive you have your flashlight on all the time and you should not turn it off, so suddenly red, not happening. Maybe if you pro underwater photographer with rebreather sitting somewhere underwater waiting for something... Not a regular person.

UV supposed to be for bioluminescence, and it works (depends on coral and creatures) but blue (royal blue) is better in most cases, you need yellow filter for good result so UV is kind of easier but UV is not recommended because it harms coral and fish, should not be used!

So, for diving I have one light that I can switch from spot to flood, use spot and when I want to take a picture I switch to flood. Could have separate light on camera or even more sophisticated setup but for me diving means travel and space is premium. I have a separate blue light and so far I only used it on one dive (I removed dome and phosphor from Sofirn SD05, since white LED is a blue led with phosphor on it)

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your response. It will not be used underwater (intentionally), purchased for $10 as an Amazon return, virtually unused. It is rugged and waterproof. Light has three white settings of spot/flood but does not include low settings, I guess these are not important underwater except for effect on runtime.

At least now I have a known source of 365nm UV.

Dave