Do you own a GM vehicle? You need to see this....

boo5ted

Enlightened
Out of the three GM vehicles I own, only one has(had) OnStar and it's disabled. I'm good.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My insurance man offered a whopping discount if I'd install a monitor.

There's a good chance that lady with camaro drives "spirited" at times. But there are times on the interstate when traffic goes from 60 to 0 in 4 seconds. Or what about that car in front of you that stops suddenly for yellow lights? The data would look like you too drive that way. Trying to get on the crowded interstate and you have to pedal to the metal to merge?

I told him "thanks but no".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Automobiles have had little black boxes for decades. But for those who use internet servicces in their vehicle it's a lot like cordless phones in the 90's. With the right technology folks can gain access to your little black box now.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My insurance man offered a whopping discount if I'd install a monitor.

There's a good chance that lady with camaro drives "spirited" at times. But there are times on the interstate when traffic goes from 60 to 0 in 4 seconds. Or what about that car in front of you that stops suddenly for yellow lights? The data would look like you too drive that way. Trying to get on the crowded interstate and you have to pedal to the metal to merge?

I told him "thanks but no".
It is not so much to track you, but to justify data they get about you from other sources without your approval. Do you have your insurance company app on your phone? It is already doing all of that, and more, it talks to other apps in your phone, it knows everything your phone knows about you, including where you go each time you drive. it talks to your map app, and it knows how fast you going even when you are not using it.
To lessen the effect, do not install insurance app on your phone, do not pair your phone to your car infotainment system.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Effectively every connected devise is tracking, gathering data, and/or listening to you
....all the time

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not worry about black boxes, they only come into play after they are accessed by a special reading software, after a crash. they are not connected to infotaiment, just the ecu and body modules. Your phone and infotainment do much more in real time.
Oh, another thing, do you have an easy pass on your windshield? e zpass readers are not only used to charge toll, the are installed everywhere, in big cities every few blocks, on major and local roads, they do not charge toll, but dot has a map of your car movement, any gvmnt agency can access it, in theory they can track your e zpass in real time, if everything works properly. Anytime they can pull data from 10 years ago, and see your route.

Last edited:

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, that's what I suspected. Thank you for the confirmation.
Here is more about that: 'Modern cars are a privacy nightmare,' the worst Mozilla's seen
Specifically,
The kind of information collected varies from personal information like medical data to how drivers are using the vehicle itself — such as how fast they drive, where they drive, and even the music they listen to. Both Nissan and Kia are noted to allow the collection of information regarding a user's sex life.
Eighty-four percent of the reviewed car brands share personal user data with service providers, data brokers, and potentially sketchy businesses, according to the report, with 76 percent claiming the right to sell that personal data.

TPA

Enlightened
I encourage EVERYONE to order their Lexis Nexis Risk Solutions report. Just like a credit report, you're entitled to this data free, and you also have the right to correct it. This is one of the multiple databases GM was selling data to. It's good to know what is in there, correct what is incorrect, and keep and eye on this. I also wish we'd get more people to request their records to make this sector unprofitable.

I requested mine, and fortunately my efforts to stay off the grid have been helpful. All they had for me were some addresses (but not all) and that I exist. Not even school records, car ownership records, etc.