E2 Hyper Throw vs mdx/m91T

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anybody provide some real world feedback on these two? Looking for something that would be useful (overkill) for address spotting, deer shining, etc. nothing like a LEP but notably throwier than my m61 and m91 lights while still having some spill.

The 12,000lux m91T doesn't SOUND that impressive compared to the hyperthrows 35,000 but perhaps it's more usable? I also care to some degree about color and tint- the more neutral the better.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I only have the 91T so can only say so much. It throws good with a decent size hotspot. She's very white not anywhere close to neutral.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
The 91T has a low mode, which I like, but it is a bigger and longer light. Here are two quick pictures I took at a power transformer. I don't really know how far, but will give an idea of the beams. M91 was on 2 18500s and the E2HT was on a 16650.

Attachments

• M91T.jpeg
    M91T.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 180
  • E2HT.jpeg
    E2HT.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 182

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
I will give you my advice...I would up the candela to the E2XT or E2XTD (with spare cells). They are the king right now. Those lights fit in 5.11 pockets or jean pockets without me even noticing, but i carry a lot of gear including a firearm or 2 everywhere. The other option since you want a neutral color, which is the correct color for a flashlight is get a Hound Dog Super 4000K. I have the 4000K and the 6200K. 6200K looks like it's 5700k or less than 6200k due to the optics Gene believes. The throw of the 70k candela E2XT and E2XTD are about the same as the Hound Dog Supers but they have an extra 1,000 lumens which helps.

Here is a picture for size reference

Attachments

• 20220503_144619.jpg
    20220503_144619.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 178

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The M91T is rated at 19k cd / 750 lumens, not 12k cd. I've had one for a long time and IMO provides a nice blend of throw and spill. I run mine on a MD3 body with a high/low switch;

md3lego-4.jpg

The HUGE advantage of the E2 Hyper Throw is that a far more compact light can be made with one. It's 35k cd reaches further than the M91T, its spill is just as wide but slightly less bright. But it's much easier to carry vs. any of the MDx based lights;

store-18350-large-2.jpg

Finally, the gain of the standard E2XT (55k cd, 500 lumens) over the E2 Hyper Throw (35k cd, 500 lumens) is not that great. The 1.23" head diameter is a lot more noticeable in the pocket compared to the 1" head diameter of the E2HT. IMO, the candela gain of the E2XT is not worth the increased size or cost vs. the E2 Hyper Throw.

The E2XTD is a different story. It's rated by Gene at 70k cd, but my sample measures 82k cd. It's center hot spot is slightly brighter than my Hound Dog Super (cool version). It's a beast.

FYI, beam shots and profiles of the E2 Hyper Throw, Bodyguard v.2, E2 Super and E2XTD heads can be found here. Be aware of beam shots posted on the Internet as the ONLY way to get a useful comparison is with a camera that can be locked in manual exposure mode. I use a Canon DSLR in manual exposure mode to take beam shots.

If ease-of-carry is not a big issue, the M91T with high/low switch on a MD3 or MD4 body is a very useful light. If you need a high-candela light that rides comfortably in a pants pocket, I would go with the E2HT on the body of your choice, and which can be fully powered with 2-CR123 batteries. If you want an insanely bright (at the expense of run time) light that can be carried in a pocket, go with the E2XTD,

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
The M91T is rated at 19k cd / 750 lumens, not 12k cd. I've had one for a long time and IMO provides a nice blend of throw and spill. I run mine on a MD3 body with a high/low switch;

View attachment 34410

The HUGE advantage of the E2 Hyper Throw is that a far more compact light can be made with one. It's 35k cd reaches further than the M91T, its spill is just as wide but slightly less bright. But it's much easier to carry vs. any of the MDx based lights;

View attachment 34411

Finally, the gain of the standard E2XT (55k cd, 500 lumens) over the E2 Hyper Throw (35k cd, 500 lumens) is not that great. The 1.23" head diameter is a lot more noticeable in the pocket compared to the 1" head diameter of the E2HT. IMO, the candela gain of the E2XT is not worth the increased size or cost vs. the E2 Hyper Throw.

The E2XTD is a different story. It's rated by Gene at 70k cd, but my sample measures 82k cd. It's center hot spot is slightly brighter than my Hound Dog Super (cool version). It's a beast.

FYI, beam shots and profiles of the E2 Hyper Throw, Bodyguard v.2, E2 Super and E2XTD heads can be found here. Be aware of beam shots posted on the Internet as the ONLY way to get a useful comparison is with a camera that can be locked in manual exposure mode. I use a Canon DSLR in manual exposure mode to take beam shots.

If ease-of-carry is not a big issue, the M91T with high/low switch on a MD3 or MD4 body is a very useful light. If you need a high-candela light that rides comfortably in a pants pocket, I would go with the E2HT on the body of your choice, and which can be fully powered with 2-CR123 batteries. If you want an insanely bright (at the expense of run time) light that can be carried in a pocket, go with the E2XTD,
I'm not sure if those are your pictures or not in the link, but the E2XTD and E2HT distances are mislabeled. In the 55' 105' pics. I didn't look at the rest of them, but those jumped out.

The M91T is basically the same performance as the Surefire P3X Fury. Just a little more out of the Surefire after it settles down. It starts about 1300 lumens but drops to about 750ish but is reset with a quick off on of the tail cap. If I didn't have the P3X I would snag a M91T.

sebis

Newly Enlightened

I had to get both, the E2 HT and E2XTD but I have the latter currently mounted on E2E body w/Z68 tail cap. The E2 HT is impressive for the size and perfect when wearing a suit or coat. The E2XTD is a beast and gives my HD Super a run for the money (I mean size ;) ) in terms of sheer throw.

From a practical point of view, the E2 HT is more useful due to its very compact size. When my attire allows, I carry a Modlite PLHv2-18350, it has less throw than E2XTD but a lot more spill therefore better suited for a variety of situations while being more compact and still giving ~35 minutes of runtime. I have a feeling the E2XTD will end as rifle mounted light eventually :unsure:.

E685AE6F-DDA4-443E-AB69-6B9168FAC5EB_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: