ethanol blend vs ethanol free gas in small engines

My 4-stroke equipment hasn't exhibited any (known) ill effects from ethanol fuel. The 2-stroke equipment hasten't faired as well. I've recently purchased an electric chainsaw, pole pruner, and hedge trimmer. :twothumbs

Poppy

Flashaholic
My remediation efforts on the mower a few years ago consisted of a can of 93 octane gas and a number of pulls without success. Last time I tried the chipper it would run on partial choke, which I suspect was not good for it.

I'll likely need to replace parts on both at this point.
You might try a shot of starter fluid in the carb, and give it a couple of pulls. If it putts a few times, then you're getting spark, if not... then pull the plug reconnect it and hold the body of the plug against the head of the engine. In relative darkness give it a few pulls and try to SEE if there is a little spark jump the gap in the plug. If not, then the problem may not at all be your gas and carburetor.

Regarding running on partial choke, I really don't think that would hurt anything at all.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just read why ethanol can be doom to small engines. The article I read says the alcohol absorbs water but isn't bonded to the gas itself and can damage seals of the engine and also doesn't want to burn properly. I will just stick to boozeless gas as the article equates an additive that bonds the water to the gas fixes that issue and I doubt it is cheaper than buying boozlessaline.
I also want a 20v chainsaw and pole pruner but they are rather costly for the minimal amount of use they would incur I'm better off getting out the corded pole pruner saw and using it. For me most gas powered tools would not be used often enough to pay for themselves a corded tool suffices a lot cheaper even though the hassle of the cord is irritating the maintenance of gas powered tools is more irritating.

turbodog

Flashaholic
My remediation efforts on the mower a few years ago consisted of a can of 93 octane gas and a number of pulls without success. Last time I tried the chipper it would run on partial choke, which I suspect was not good for it.

I'll likely need to replace parts on both at this point.

If it will run on part choke, I would add a hefty dose of sea-foam. Then run on as little choke as needed to see if it clears up. So long as you are not blowing black smoke (too rich) you should be ok.

Otherwise, pull carb, float bowl, float, and jet. Clean jet holes with stiff wire. Reassemble. Plenty of youtube videos on this.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If anecdotal stuff helps... I own the following, run plain ethanol gas in all of it, and only have problem with the honda eu2000 (they are very sensitive).

~15 engines: chainsaws, pressure washers, generators, trimmers, hedge clippers, push mowers, riding mowers, tillers

Get gas jugs with TIGHT lids. Keep tanks full when not in use. Additive of your choice when storing for winter. Try and run little used engines few times a year if possible... (generators, pressure washer, mowers during wintertime).

I'm on the gulf coast where humidity is high. Not sure what effect northern climates would have...

Poppy

Flashaholic
I really have to wonder... how much water can 10% ethanol absorb?

We used to throw a can or two of "Dry Gas"* into our car's gas tank before winter to try to prevent water from freezing in the lines or fuel filter.

All through my childhood and into my early 20's my dad had boats. Probably from condensation in the tanks, it was not uncommon for us to get underway, and have the engine sputter for a little bit, or maybe even stall. We got really good at dropping the carburetor bowl, dumping the water overboard, and starting the engine with a shot or two... or maybe three of ether, and getting back under way.

Granted, this was before ethanol.

Drygas is an alcohol-based additive used in automobiles to prevent any water in the fuel from freezing, or to restore combustive power to gasoline spoiled by water. The name Drygas is actually a registered trademarked brand name, owned by Cristy Corporation. Wikipedia

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I really have to wonder... how much water can 10% ethanol absorb?

We used to throw a can or two of "Dry Gas"* into our car's gas tank before winter to try to prevent water from freezing in the lines or fuel filter.

All through my childhood and into my early 20's my dad had boats. Probably from condensation in the tanks, it was not uncommon for us to get underway, and have the engine sputter for a little bit, or maybe even stall. We got really good at dropping the carburetor bowl, dumping the water overboard, and starting the engine with a shot or two... or maybe three of ether, and getting back under way.

Granted, this was before ethanol.
I don't know how much water it can hold but think of gas line dryer you put a small bottle of it in a vehicle gas tank and I thinking that probably makes for less than 1% concentration.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I own two Ariens snowblowers, one is from the late 70s' & another I bought new 5 years ago at a power equipment implement center.
The new one had a sticker on it saying 'use only non-ethanol gas'. Thought that was interesting because it looked like a factory sticker.

Asked the sales guy; he said it was their sticker & they started putting those on everything because all they were doing was servicing/warranting machines because of ethanol gas.

***My older Ariens has been outside my garage (under a tarp) for now five years, with the coldest of winters & hot humid summers.
Haven't started it in all that time..
I'll put $20 down that if I put a extension cord to it's electric start, prime & choke it, that it fires right up.

Poppy

Flashaholic
+

I own two Ariens snowblowers, one is from the late 70s' & another I bought new 5 years ago at a power equipment implement center.
The new one had a sticker on it saying 'use only non-ethanol gas'. Thought that was interesting because it looked like a factory sticker.

Asked the sales guy; he said it was their sticker & they started putting those on everything because all they were doing was servicing/warranting machines because of ethanol gas.

***My older Ariens has been outside my garage (under a tarp) for now five years, with the coldest of winters & hot humid summers.
Haven't started it in all that time..
I'll put $20 down that if I put a extension cord to it's electric start, prime & choke it, that it fires right up.
Oh NO!!! I wouldn't touch that bet with a Twenty Dollar Bill! ;-)

Although five years under a tarp, you may have a family of squirrels chewing on your fuel line. Or like me, one year I had a spider make a nest inside the carburetor of my generator. And another time one made a nest inside the feeder tube of my gas grill.

adnj

Enlightened
I am able to use 100% gasoline - no alcohol. I have stored it in polyethylene containers that were airtight for a year with no problems. I use synthetic two-stroke oil for mixes and it does well with no stabilizer for months at a time - also stored in an airtight container.

I like to run my carburetors out if I plan on storing any small engine for more than a month.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Spell check hates me I mean the long word for pro

Wait for it…………

IMG_20181124_191557.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
I am able to use 100% gasoline - no alcohol. I have stored it in polyethylene containers that were airtight for a year with no problems. I use synthetic two-stroke oil for mixes and it does well with no stabilizer for months at a time - also stored in an airtight container.

I like to run my carburetors out if I plan on storing any small engine for more than a month.

In my personal experience the 'month' thing is needless. Have a chainsaw that rarely gets used... like once every 2-3 years for special projects. Leave it full of ethanol gas and it always starts on 2-3 pulls. Stihl 026. For that matter, all my 2 stroke stuff starts on 2-3 pulls, but that chainsaw goes longest between uses.

adnj

Enlightened
IIRC, Stihl and Husqvarna recommend running dry if stored for 6 months or more. One month's storage is just my personal metric so I don't know how it works for people who store for years at a time.

In general, I probably pull more two-stroke maintenance on carbs, bulbs and fuellines than most. I will clean and swap out parts before failure.

scout24

Flashaholic
Whatever additives you use, whatever type of fuel you use, please just make sure to run your equipment often enough and long enough each time to not have fuel sit too long in one place in the machine. Orbital- this is for you... :) This machine had sat for "a few years" and the customer couldn't get it started. (snowblower) Added fuel to dry tank, checked spark, and it popped over on starting fluid. My co-worker Walter pulled the carb off and hollered "Holy Cow!" This was the worst gummed up carb I had ever seen. I thought it was picture worthy. Walter got it running after a carb rebuild... This was allegedly regular pump gas with Stabil. I'm certain it sat for longer than a few years, and certain there was no Stabil added. :) Drain those float bowls, folks. :nana:

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of our gasoline equipment here on the farm uses non-ethanol only. No exceptions.

And Seafoam is added to every ounce of gas at a rate of 2oz per gallon. No exceptions.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Wow!!!
That looks like rosin solder flux paste!

To get that gummy, I guess that started with a full tank of gas. Some dripped in, and evaporated, then a little more dripped in and evaporated, on and on until it was all gone.

Whatever additives you use, whatever type of fuel you use, please just make sure to run your equipment often enough and long enough each time to not have fuel sit too long in one place in the machine. Orbital- this is for you... :) This machine had sat for "a few years" and the customer couldn't get it started. (snowblower) Added fuel to dry tank, checked spark, and it popped over on starting fluid. My co-worker Walter pulled the carb off and hollered "Holy Cow!" This was the worst gummed up carb I had ever seen. I thought it was picture worthy. Walter got it running after a carb rebuild... This was allegedly regular pump gas with Stabil. I'm certain it sat for longer than a few years, and certain there was no Stabil added. :) Drain those float bowls, folks. :nana:

Latest posts