Hey bike people

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Hey sorry for being out of my box but I have a question maybe ya all can answer I have a mountainnbike it's a 9 speed with one derailleur it skips in 9 speed only in that gear thought it was the h limit screw but no luck. Tried tension adjustment no luck cables are good etc etc. I do see some web sites say the derailleur is a 8 speed. But it came stock on my bike. Could that be it?it's the ozark trail ridge 29er it's revision 2 with the micro shift derailleur. Has a clutch seems great other then the 9th gear issue but I do admit I'm peddling hard when I have the issue and it may be only uphill but I haven't ride it enough to be sure any thoughts?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Nah just been flipping it over. I don't adjust it under load I just ride it underload. It's a walmart bike it was shipped to Mr box looked good. But everything needed adjustment. Disk brakes are getting better after much adjusting. Can almost lock them up. And the wheels rotate very well that they always rest at the heavy side..I may buy a cheap stand.or make one.love the bike other then these issues it has a moden frame geometry. It is heavy though. But it's the stupid front fork.that also can't be locked out which I hate .

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nah my freind its to good of a bike for the price ill get it adjusted. .. ..most guys just get rid of the stock parts anyways. lol some are spending thousands on upgrades on this bike. .. its crazy how far walmart bikes have come lol they even have a nice carbon fiber bike now the frame from all reviews ive read is amazieng rest of bike needs work thou. it gives me something to do anways and ill learn as i go... another great cheao bike is the swinn axumm dang thing has a droper post lol. its a good time to be into bikes they all go back and forth improving there bikes to beat the competition..but the axxum dont have internal cables

LEDphile

Enlightened
Is the issue here chain skip (where the chain skips forward under heavy load, but doesn't change gears when doing so), or does it feel like it's shifting gears on you?

Chain skip can be caused by wear (the chain checker go/no-go gauges are worth the money to avoid wearing out cogs), although that's unlikely on a relatively new bike. If it feels like it's changing gears on you, that's more likely a derailleur that isn't set up quite right - cable tension matters, as does setting the limits properly. You want the derailleur centered the cogs when in each gear, as being off-center can make it prone to self-shifting.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
It don't shift on its own but sounds like it wants to. It's a new bike .

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The two limit screws on your rear derailleur need to work be working together.
So if one is cranked all the way in, it messes up the other.
If the cable tension is good, back out both screws to about half way equally, then you can start working on dialing the derailleur in...

Not to get you to buy stuff, but an inexpensive bike stand is a great investment.

1714319144239.jpeg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
The low was way out at first lol luckily for dork disk. Which I'll remove if I replace the cassette. Man o man it was hard to install flat out in these presta tubes..flat out prevent flats or reduces them. I had to take nut off valve then the valve thing went in tube so I had to pinch it to keep valve from getting lost in tube then install sealant hard hard was getting valve back in since a course u can't see it. Think I'll buy tubes with the removable valves next time

raggie33

*the raggedier*
How about replacement forks I may go rock shox but I know it has to be 29 inch with disc brake mount. But there has to be more info I need or are all 29 forks the same measurements? It's a tampered head tube if that helps has a suntourxct 3.0 now thing seems like it steals my peddleeffort it's so bouncy

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok, go back to the beginning with the micro adjusters and tighten the cable itself. New cables stretch. Yours has probably stretched enough to cause the issue. It may happen 2 or 3 more times before it stops happening.

Another issue could be the chain. Asking a chain to flex sideways on a 9 cog wheel is asking an awful lot. The stock chain might be too stiff to do that. Also lube the chain as that might help it flex sideways better.

I'd say tighten the cable first.

How about replacement forks I may go rock shox but I know it has to be 29 inch with disc brake mount. But there has to be more info I need or are all 29 forks the same measurements? It's a tampered head tube if that helps has a suntourxct 3.0 now thing seems like it steals my peddleeffort it's so bouncy
Is this idea more bad, impulse-buying on your part, or have you solved your financial problems? :(

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Your right my friend. But should I still get the bike stand? It like 55 bucks and I got a 25 dollar gift cards it will be 30

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Ok, go back to the beginning with the micro adjusters and tighten the cable itself. New cables stretch. Yours has probably stretched enough to cause the issue. It may happen 2 or 3 more times before it stops happening.

Another issue could be the chain. Asking a chain to flex sideways on a 9 cog wheel is asking an awful lot. The stock chain might be too stiff to do that. Also lube the chain as that might help it flex sideways better.

I'd say tighten the cable first.
I think your right. .I may also may not being tighing the pinch bolt that holds the cable tight enough my torque wrench is garbage

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Most people know this, so don't start yellin'

To increase rear derailleur cable tension, you turn the barrel adjuster counterclockwise (with the wheels facing the ground)

I always was on the razors edge of having too much cable tension, mild ocd

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I like to have the adjusters all the way in then install cable pinch bolt that way I can adjust for stretch both on brakes and derailleur. But I forget how to do most this and I'm used to Shimano. I like this microshift stuff so far but there is no adjuster on the shifters only on derailleur. Btw should it's Clutch be on or off.. I will do off road but mostly light stuff I won't be jumping off ledges I'm way to old lol