I'm still addicted to the old Maglites

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Load mixture rock salt buckshot,, and let's hope that prospective burglar is homophobic ✊
As a teen we used to skateboard in a concrete ditch near a farm unless the lady that lived on the property saw us. You knew when she did. We wore really short shorts back then in summer and usually no shirt.

Sometimes you'd hear "POW" and a couple seconds later hear stuff flying past. She shot at us with rock salt. Man that stuff sure does hurt. And if you're sweaty.... yikes it burns. Soon after a cop would show up. Not to arrest her for shooting at kids but to chase us off.

She's long gone. There's a shopping mall on her farm now. And the ditch has a Golden Corral built over top of it.

My mom had a 4C. My dad called it a girl's flashlight, but he probably used it more than she did.

letschat7

Suspended
So many moons ago back in maybe 2010 or so I wanted a 4C. They were online in a few places at normal retail. Then someone writes a SD article saying it was the greatest thumper light ever. They dried up after that. I'd like to reread said article but I'd never find it with today's search engines.

Here are some pics of some of my Cs.

Attachments

• C91FB745-BD33-4B74-9722-EF627681AC27.jpeg
    C91FB745-BD33-4B74-9722-EF627681AC27.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • 1A6C35D9-CC96-43AF-9D22-55E99B75E9C3.jpeg
    1A6C35D9-CC96-43AF-9D22-55E99B75E9C3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Here are some pics of some of my Cs.
Nice. Looks like you have quite a few Mags.

I've noticed how the availability of certain sizes seems to dry up at times. Then a few will show up. Seems like the 5C is fairly uncommon at the moment. I nabbed a real nice one a couple years ago. And two 6Cs. I think the 4C will be a good size for vehicle carry.

Still waiting for the guy to ship. I hate when you get the email immediately that "shipping label has been created", then 2 or 3 days later, tracking says post office still awaiting item.

I need to get 4 new LSD NiMH cells ordered.

letschat7

Suspended
4 or 5 are some of the best sizes as no one seems to want the bulbs. 2, 3, 6, and especially 7 are harder to get. I now have a stockpile.

I should have got some Mags today in the mail but the post office is being tw@ts.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
no one seems to want the bulbs
I never really use the original incan bulbs. After using them for years for work when nothing else was available, that did me in. I really like the $16 two to three hundred lumen LED upgrades for brightness / throw and excellent runtimes.

letschat7

Suspended
I feel like I did a disservice to the community. I paid $200 on top of what I consider a fair price for a NOS 7C.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Haha, well, NOS is worth a pretty penny. Is it an older one with the "paten pending" stamp?

So, how much total? Do you wish to share? It's not really a disservice to the community. It's your wallet, not ours. If anything, it raises the value of the ones we already own.

letschat7

Suspended
Well I went outside in the dark and fired things up.

I had for starters:

1. 5-C Mag with Magnumstar Krypton and five Panasonic Super Heavy Duty batteries which is my fav combo.

2. 6-C Mag with Magnumstar Xenon and six Duracell Quantum batteries. This light had a glass lense made by MagLite.

3. 7-C Mag with stock Philips bulb PR-20 and seven Rayovac Fusion batteries.

Number two failed to work and the batteries were swapped with Eveready Gold.

7-C was outshined by everything. I changed to bulb Magnumstar Krypton anf it beat 5-C but 6-C with Magnumstar Xenon was the best.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
And they were all dim, correct?

I think at some point, the greater number of cells mostly just give you more run time. I've heard of folks using bulbs meant for less cells in lights with more cells, and getting brighter light, at the cost of bulb life.

I don't even have the interest of messing with the old bulbs anymore for lights that I'm going to actually use. My "collector" pieces sit idly by with original bulbs, and my "users" are upgraded to LEDs, NiMH cells, aluminum OP reflectors, and glass lenses. It's a great combo and makes for a durable light, with the dependable rugged switch and high quality Maglite build. And no more leaks!

Interesting test results though. Thanks for sharing.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No all mag lights of the same cell type had the same runtime. Extra cells made it brighter. So a 6D was brighter than a 5D, which was brighter than a 4D and so on. Just adding more cells to the same bulb would make it brighter up to a point, but would significantly reduce life.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own indeed several hard to find colors....
Lime Green: AA, 2C, 2D, 3D
Jade: AA, 2D, 3D, 4D
Orange: AA, 3D
Midnight Blue: AA, 2D, 3D
Blue: 2C, 3C
Dark Green: 3C
Gold: AA (2 different versions + the real golden AA), 2C, 3D
Red 2C
Silver 2C, 3C (from 1983)
Grey: 3C
Pewter: 3D (real pewter = not the common grey)
Blue Shimmer: AA
Ice Blue: AA
Charcoal: AA
Light Blue: AA
Dark Blue: AA

And of course also the more common colors in different sizes plus several Black 5C, 6C, 7C and one 7D.
From the 5C and 6C I have some of the old and some of the newer version.

Last edited: