Master thread for disasters and generators.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funnily enough, gas pumps are out in the area and people are having a hard time finding gas

Meanwhile, my wife's Mach-E charged up last night, while on generator power

So its actually the other way round :unsure:
+

I'll take a punch when called for..

Many people don't have a good generator setup

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
I have solar but no batteries, so my solar is off now because there is no grid to sync to. If I had batteries, I could charge it directly from the sun

The best thing about an EV is that literally any fuel can power it. Coal, Wind, Sun, Gasoline, Diesel, Natural Gas, Hydro, Nuclear

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have solar but no batteries, so my solar is off now because there is no grid to sync to. If I had batteries, I could charge it directly from the sun

The best thing about an EV is that literally any fuel can power it. Coal, Wind, Sun, Gasoline, Diesel, Natural Gas, Hydro, Nuclear
+

Batteries get expensive.

If you bought four of the largest 24V LFP units, that would give you over 20kWh of usable power.
That will also cost around $5000 if you get a good deal.

Important:: LFP batteries have a stunning life span & give incredible performance = charging at high Amps etc..

TPA

Enlightened
People with EVs' feel there will always be electricity just for them.
They're going to be in for some rough times over the next week or two. Those tall high voltage pylons don't get replaced overnight. I'm not sure how the TX grid is designed and if there's a bypass path available, although I'm suspecting there isn't.

They seem to be making some progress though, <700,000 without power in Texas now. Not sure what the peak was.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Is Centerpoint Energy normally inept? I ask because in Florida, Duke Energy is truly the worst. They refuse to proactively maintain their grid, and it shows. Usually pulling up the poweroutage.us site, Duke will have the same amount of people out as FPL, but Duke has 1/5th the number of customers.

FPL, which used to be known as Flicker Power & Light, has really improved their infrastructure over the past 20 years.
Con-Ed. used to be the same way as Duke.
Wasn't even the massive Northeast Blackout of 2003 that got them to change. It was a smaller, localized 10-day Brownout that came later on.... The one that only effected the local neighborhood literally right outside Con Ed's gates. Problem is, that Astoria neighborhood is full of businesses who lost several millions upon millions of dollars in merchandise, revenue, and trade. Facing massive lawsuits, Con Ed. finally learned its lesson.

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
My power just came back

1715996613753.png

Checked the oil, still right at the full mark, and so clean you struggle to read the dip stick

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Got my $260 Ecoflow River 2 Pro today, this thing is AWESOME!

Hooked it up to an old dud solar panel and got 200w with the angle being terrible and even covered in dirt

1717193025947.jpeg

1717193035263.jpeg

1717193053536.png

Brought it into the cool to charge up fully over AC. Will probably mess with solar more tomorrow

1717193076407.jpeg

1717193086371.jpeg

1717193096540.jpeg

1717193110030.png

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nice TX

A year ago I helped my neighbor's sister get a small/starter solar setup.
Had her get a River 2 Max & two 100W panels. She likes it alot.

Personally today had around 1.5kW of solar panels in use, charged around 7000Wh

Latest posts