Mateminco MT35Mini SFS80 Thrower Flashlight ( 18650 - 18350 )

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mateminco-2.jpg

Mateminco-3.jpg

Sent for review : Mateminco MT35Mini SFS80
Sent by: *****************

Let me just say right of the bat how nicely machined this light is . The threads are some of the nicest I have seen or felt , tolerances are really tight . So it's not just the o-rings tightening things up - It's the machining . The light comes with two body Tubes . One for 18650 and a smaller one for 18350 . There is one thing to keep in mind with this light , it was made for Un Protected batteries . Batteries with protection circuits will not fit , or it will be a crush fit !
If you unscrew the tailcap a little , it will break the circuit . If you leave the tailcap tightened ? . I measured 0.01mAh parasitic drain .

The MT35mini has a mid mounted switch for using the light :
Moon mode : Press and old the switch for moon mode ! I measured some 6.64mAh current draw in moon mode . MM is low enough to look directly at the light .
Low mode : The light always starts in Low mode . Just a single quick press of the button starts up the light . To change modes , just press the button again relatively quickly for the next light level .
Turbo Mode : To enter Turbo mode you need to press the button relatively quickly twice . You can short cut to Turbo when the light is off with a double click , and in doing so a quick press again will turn the light off .
Turning the light off : Press and hold normally to turn the light off .
Strobe: Ok found strobe , 3 quick presses gives you strobe . ( It's almost dark )
I have some current draw results for various batteries including the one supplied !

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 753x293.
Supplied-18650.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 753x293.
Sony2100.jpg

wol_error.gif
Nitecore2600.jpg

wol_error.gif
LG3500.jpg

The Nitecore 2600 was only included for current draw comparison … It's a protected battery and will be a crush fit in this light .
Now there are some runtime claims and … I can only guess some ones calculator was maybe not functioning correctly … In anyways some figures .

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 750x295.
Runtime.jpg

I also took some Lux readings @ one meter !
Low = 1500Lux
Mid1 = 3500Lux
Mid2 = 20000Lux
High = 36000Lux

Turbo = 42500Lux

My L2T with the best emitter I could buy in 2022 5600Lux , it's floody …
My Zanflare T6 ( old light by now ) 7100Lux
And a very throwy 2x18650 Nitecore MT42 , tops out at 55400Lux . That Nitecore is not even close to a pocketable flashlight , nor being compact !

Taking into consideration the current draw , especially in Turbo ( 3A ) . A 18350 is going to be strained to say the least . The supplied 18650 was certainly very good as tested and came out on top against some serious competition . If you go down the 18350 route , I would suggest either buying the best 18350 you can or just stay out of Turbo mode . All I have done today is take measurements and play with the light . I will try for some beams and Video ASAP .

Video : Some beams half way ish …

My back is FUBAR , so at the moment I cant go very far …

A) 2A VS 3A is barely perceivable … But the lux difference is 36,000 VS 42,000 …
B) 18350 ? Comfort will be a variable decided by the size of your pocket … How much difference shortening the battery tube will make ?
It is the head after all that needs space .
C) Yes , as a hunting light … I think the MT35Mini would be great due to its size weight and easy UI . ( And it throws ) Even at 0.15A it throws an easy 50 meters .
D) I think this could be a decent walking light as well , @ 0.15A it works . And in dark places it would work even better .

There is only one negative I can harp on in regard to this light . And that is the inability to use protected batteries . Personally I don't care for protected batteries as most of them seem to have parasitic drain . They can never hold a charge like unprotected batteries ! Especially if you go 12 months between charging … Long term storage really shows up a difference .
Anyways , it's probably a thing for some people ( protected batteries ) . For single 18650 use ? I love my unprotected 18650 . Just check them from time to time with your multimeter ( Voltage levels ) and charge when you need to … Don't wait for the light to fail !
A score out of 10 ? It would be a 9/10 for the one sent me for review … One point lost for that protected battery thing ! ( Crush fit ) .

Of course , the USB charging … Sure … Might be a good thing if your camping or need to use the light a lot . I mean it could be Solar charged or charged from a Cigarette Adapter ( USB Charger ) … Personally I have a dozen or so 18650 battery charger here at home and am much more comfortable using a dedicated charger that has proven itself . Not saying anything negative , just that I prefer a dedicated battery charger . And if I go out , I have plenty of spare batteries . ( I haven't had time to try it as yet - USB port charging ) .

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a battery in the light and ran it down till it stopped !
Voltage reading on the battery was 2.83v … That's a little lower than I like !
Then I tried charging it VIA the USB port , … And it hit 1.4 Amp … I don't like charging that high !

So … Seems like I have found a few things not to like ( For Me ) …