• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

NexTorch GT6A-S $8 at Illumn.com

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
NexTorch GT6A-S is a nylon body P60 host. Comes with an incandescent bulb module (claims 80L, can only confirm that it's marginally brighter than the stock P60 module in my 6P). Beam similar to P60 incandescent (slightly larger hot spot). Reverse clicky tail switch. Packaged with 2 NexTorch branded CR123A cells.

Not thread compatible with SureFire heads or tails. Can confirm it works fine with Malkoff dropins if you use the spring from the bulb module that comes in the light but I wouldn't use anything that generates much heat since this is a nylon bodied host.

$8 for the bulb, 2 cells, and the host seems like a great deal to me. I don't know what it sold regularly for, but did find a couple listings in the $20-$40 range. Most sites simply claim "out of stock" or "discontinued".

--flatline

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and it is interesting that without the link provided in a CPF thread about non-metal-body flashlight hosts, I could not find it on the illumn website. I did order it with an 18650 and should get it by tomorrow or today, given that illumn is great about shipping speedy.

Just got to be careful not to put anything in it too hot. This is for my son so he can be OK about it when he drops it in the field.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intereseting. I found it via a site search for "P60" and again for "Malkoff" (both appear to be mentioned in the product description).

I ran it for 30 minutes with a M61WLL in it and the module was still cooler than the outside of the flashlight (my hands made it warm while jogging, I guess). So I have no concerns at all about heat for that module. I don't think I'd try it with a M61, however.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I play with these, the more surprised I am that someone hasn't simply bought up Ilumn's entire stock.

At $8, it's worth it just for the batteries and bulb assembly (assuming you like incandescent).

--flatline

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only metal other than the switch internals and switch compression ring seems to be a brass colored tube that butts to the switch ring and on the other end a lip of sorts that the negative spring on the dropin presses against. The head is composite with a large air gap surrounding a dropin.

The feel in-hand is nicely done, without hard plastic slipperiness and just the right amount of give yet satisfyingly rigid.

Nothing distracting about the click of the switch; the (battery meets switch) spring is thin but appropriate for this level of build. Lubed o ring.

The lens is described in the Operator's Manual as "full clear glass" and it does look good, if considerably thinner than an Oveready host.

Our 8 year old son knows how flashlights should be respected, and it took some talking to convince him it was OK if he dropped it. I also modified a lanyard for him. He uncharacteristically did fall down twice on tonight's walk. We are in drought, and the body material does have the nature of holding some fine dust. Our low humidity may have created static-cling on the body.

The dropin supplied is said in the manual to be a bi-pin xenon which made my heart skip a beat, thinking it may be capable of being retrofitted with a Yuji 5mm Hi CRI LED.

Placed an XPL HI Advanced Program PFlexPRO into this NexTorch...
Set the PID thermal control to 50C with a maximum level 18 (out of 24 steps). I will be trying higher levels later, as it did not get hot. I held my hand over the lens while on-sustained to check for heat.

A bucket-of-fun for $8 and a big thanks to illumn for this opportunity. On a side note, I ordered an (on sale) Sony VTC5A along with this torch, thinking packaging could be saved if illumn just put the Sony cell right into the flashlight. Turns out, the NexTorch came in a semi-fancy box and guessing illumn thought it would be imprudent to put a hot-rod cell in this rather pedestrian flashlight.

First photo does not show the lanyards completely. Second photo is grainy but shows what I did to get my lanyard to fit the boy. It was taken where he eats breakfast, hence the props.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L378xcOaG2BMuCM63

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ktE5mh69ILi9c45w1

Oveready Z2 natural host with DIP dropin, smoothie bezel, titanium bezel ring, delrin tailcap. SolarForce L2P in brownish gold shown for the sake of highlighting how nicely compact the GT6AxS-8 is.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier I mentioned the possibility of taking out the Xenon bulb for a Yuji 5mm; ended up not doing it. Just seems wrong to destroy a functional bulb, and the reflector would have to be enlarged.

This light is nice! Took it out tonight to fine-tune the mode programming. Just a great feel with a nice switch function; lightweight and plenty bright with the PFlexPRO dropin and its thermal control.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I picked one up just to play with a li-ion powered incan. Worth it for that!
Plus it'll be a good host if I ever want to mess with a drop in.

:twothumbs

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I bought this torch in 2012 from Amazon in order to do a polymer P60 host comparison. I did thorough research and purchased every single known polymer P60 host and was getting ready to make a nice, informative post comparing the switches/build quality, weight, size, etc, along with the going price. Well, less than 3 months after tracking down the last host to test (I believe it was a Coleman? Some camping equipment brand), I went about preparing the lights, dropins, batteries, and camera setup. To make a long story short, I had each host wrapped in a bandana, placed carefully into a duffel bag, each loaded with 2 Surefire CR123as, and a brand new original incan Surefire P60 bulb.

When I went to take the lights out to line them up for a group shot, I discovered that the Nextorch's body had snapped in half right down the middle - as in, 2 separate and unconnected pieces. The light wasn't even half a year old and was stored in a closet in a temperature controlled environment. Apparently, just the pressure created by loading the light with a bulb and cells was enough to literally split the light in twain. I know that this information will probably help no one in this day and age, but I had to share. Every other poly P60 host that I purchased for that comparison has been loaded with primaries and a bulb for over 10 years and have survived and look brand new to this day - including the cheapest one (the Coleman).

Maybe I got one with a weird defect from the manufacturer, but considering that it didn't even last a year with maybe 10-12 power cycles during its lifetime, I was extremely disappointed. The host seemed very nice and appeared to be a an inexpensive alternative to a G2... I actually really liked it and it was one of my favorites from initial impressions. The return window from Amazon had closed and I had ZERO luck getting a response from the manufacturer. After that experience, I will never consider buying another Nextorch. They claimed that the body was made from Nylon, but upon inspecting the break, it looked to be made from ABS plastic.

Anyway, the reason why I posted this is that I see that some sellers still carry this light (and most are charging ~$40), and I hope that this finds the eyes of anyone considering purchasing one. If I can save even one person from the disappointment of buying this turd of a host, then typing all of this was worth it. I wouldn't buy this for $3.

Last edited: