Ordered the Malkoff Triple LED for 6D MagLite today!

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
This morning I came home from work only to find a note from Malkoff Devices stating that they had 2 of their triple LED upgrades for Maglite available! Well....
:paypal::twothumbs

and it is on it's way! I've been waiting quite a while to have one become available, and I'm really excited about getting it here and installed! This is going to be SO cool!!!

My 6D Maglite has been rolling around in the back of my pickup truck for years, and now it's finally going to get the attention it deserves!

After getting the Malkoff triple, I also logged into BatteryJunction.com and ordered 6 Titanium D cells and 2 Titanium BC2-HU Universal Smart Battery chargers (the chargers only hold 4 D cells, and I don't want to wait for one charger to charge 6 cells)!

Luckily I had the CPF discount codes for both and saved myself some $$!

I think I'm going to go sit by the front window and wait for the mailman....

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you get a Malkoff dropin? Always they are sold out when I visit the website...
I have a 2D, 3D and 6D waiting for some upgrade. The 6D must have the capacity for building a real monsterlight...

Regards, Patric

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
How do you get a Malkoff dropin? Always they are sold out when I visit the website...
I have a 2D, 3D and 6D waiting for some upgrade. The 6D must have the capacity for building a real monsterlight...

Regards, Patric

Hi Patric!

In order to find out when the 6D dropin was available, I joined the distribution on the Malkoff website for their newsletter, which they email out whenever they add stock to their website. They sent an email this morning, and I immediately went and placed my order. They only added 2 to stock (4-5-6 D), and they are both gone already!

I'll try and post a review with some beamshots once I get it. I'm very new at this, so I'll do my best with the photography. Good luck!

Wave

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I was the guy that ordered the other one early this morning. I cant wait to add it to my 4D Maglight that is in dire need of a significant upgrade.

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I was the guy that ordered the other one early this morning. I cant wait to add it to my 4D Maglight that is in dire need of a significant upgrade.

I know it's tough waiting to see one go up for sale, but it really adds to the excitement when you finally do get one!

I ordered the Titanium 12000 mAh D batteries to go with it. I don't think alkalines would cut it for long in this setup. I'm going to try and post a review and some beam shots when I get it. I have high hopes for this upgrade!

jerry i h

Enlightened
...I have a 2D, 3D and 6D waiting for some upgrade. The 6D must have the capacity for building a real monsterlight...

Why not stick an ROP into the 6D? I have a Quadlight, and it is rated at bulb lumens (640) that is similar to that claimed for the 4-6D Triple (750). I compared it to a 6D m*g with the 3854HI powered by NiCd's, and the light was surprising comparable. This might keep you satisfied until Gene cranks up production again.

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think alkalines would cut it for long in this setup.

I think you are right - this is a high drain application and good NiMH cells will outperform alkalines easily here. Not only that but compared to alkalines being able to recharge and reuse the NiMH cells will save you a significant amount of money (Which you can use to buy more lights obviously).

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id have got 12 Rech batteries and always have 6 freshly charged.

my 200 lumen malkoff is excellent, i be the 750 lumen tripple is amazing.

on 6 cells i bet it runs for hours:twothumbs

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
being able to recharge and reuse the NiMH cells will save you a significant amount of money (Which you can use to buy more lights obviously).
LOL!:crackup:Now, if I can only hold off buying another light until the Malkoff mod gets here.....

Thanks for the laugh!

"Re: Ordered the Malkoff Triple LED for 6D MagLite today!
id have got 12 Rech batteries and always have 6 freshly charged.

my 200 lumen malkoff is excellent, i be the 750 lumen tripple is amazing.

on 6 cells i bet it runs for hours:twothumbs "

waddup, the Malkoff site claims that it will run 3 1/2 - 4 hours with 10000 mAh NiMH rechargeables. I'm sure I'll get some additional time with the 12000 mAh batteries I bought. As I said in an earlier post, I'm new at beam shots and reviews, but I will certainly do my best putting one together once my unit arrives. I can't wait!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering an Elektro Lumens dropin. He hade earlier a dropin for the 6D with 3000+ lumens, but it's removed from the website.
If I really want to make anything of the 6D I think it will be above 1000 lumens to be worth to carry the size of it...

But I have 2 questions about the Malkoff.

1: How can you justify a dropin for Maglite 2 or 3D? Using the 3D it will provide 240 lumens for 2,5 hours. Fenix TK10 has 225 lumens for 1,5 hours. I think the gain of runtime is too small for such a larger sized light as the 3D in comparison to the Fenix TK10. There are also 2AA flashlight with 200+ lumens today with the same runtime.

2: Will the brightness be the same with alkalines as with NiMh cells? I suppose so because Malkoff claims: "Full heatsinking of the driver and LED insure that the module can, and will, run at maximum output for extended periods". Does that mean regulation?

Regards, Patric

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
I am considering an Elektro Lumens dropin. He hade earlier a dropin for the 6D with 3000+ lumens, but it's removed from the website.
If I really want to make anything of the 6D I think it will be above 1000 lumens to be worth to carry the size of it...

But I have 2 questions about the Malkoff.

1: How can you justify a dropin for Maglite 2 or 3D? Using the 3D it will provide 240 lumens for 2,5 hours. Fenix TK10 has 225 lumens for 1,5 hours. I think the gain of runtime is too small for such a larger sized light as the 3D in comparison to the Fenix TK10. There are also 2AA flashlight with 200+ lumens today with the same runtime.

2: Will the brightness be the same with alkalines as with NiMh cells? I suppose so because Malkoff claims: "Full heatsinking of the driver and LED insure that the module can, and will, run at maximum output for extended periods". Does that mean regulation?

Regards, Patric

Hi Patric! To answer your questions:

1) I'm not buying the dropin for the 2 or 3D Maglite. I bought the triple dropin for the 6D. I wanted the 700 lumen or so upgrade that the 6D triple will give me.

2) The Malkoff website states "This is a Drop-In Module for Maglite® 4-5-6 C&D cell flashlights. It is our brightest dropin offered. It is rated at 750+ bulb lumens on 4 to 6 cells. It will easily light objects at 500+ feet. The beam is aproximately 10-12 degrees with a nice combination of spot and flood. The Drop-In module is constructed of CNC machined structural aircraft aluminum and has three regulated drivers. "

I'm thinking that the brightness would be the same on alkalines, but that the runtime would be significantly reduced. Perhaps one of the experts here can better answer your question.

Lastly, I rarely justify much when it comes to new lights. It usually boils down to my wanting it more than being able to justify it!:thumbsup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
KeukaLite,

Thanks for your answer. No I actually didn't refered to you specificly when I asked about how to justify the malkoff LED to Maglite D lights.

When I asked: "Will the brightness be the same with alkalines as with NiMh cells?" I meant the opposite: will the brightness be the same with NiMh cells as with alkalines? Because of the lower beginning voltage. Anyway. But if the brightness is practically constant during a certain time it must mean regulation AND/OR MiMh cells, alkalines will very fast decrease the voltage in comparison.

With the triple LED in the Maglite 6D and 12000mAh cells I guess you have several hours runtime with visibly constant brightness!

Regards, Patric

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you have mixed up some numbers somewhere! For the Malkoff single LED drop-in with a 3D Maglite it will draw 1000ma which will give a runtime of 10+ hours at full power of modern NiMH D cells. If you compare THAT with 1.5 hours from a TK10 you will see that it is a big difference.

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Al of this talk is meaningless to me. I barely understand this talk of 1000ma, 12000mah and wwwoooooooo over my head.

All I ask for is BEAMSHOTS!!!