Suggestion(s) for a little LED Flashlight...

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Looking to make a gift. Requirements for the flashlight:

- LED
- Around 3 to 4 hours (or more!) until 50% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
- 2xaa, 2xaaa or 1x123A cell. (Max size = MiniMhag)
- Water resistant enough for rain to drop on it without probs. (sinkable, I guess)or at LEAST splashproof./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
- 2 intensity LED a *BiG* plus.
- Not a pure/dedicated thrower or flooder.
- Not more than 30-40 US$ (No need for a SureFire here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif)

I saw that new Nuwai ALX-2611X on flashlightreviews but want to know what is possible within my reach, considering what you see above.

Thanks!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your requirement for 2 levels of brightness considerably narrows the field. And your running time requirement pretty much rules out anything above 1 watt.

Consider these Nuwais:

The 1xCR123A QI with a dual-brightness switch

and the 2AA TM65H.

I guarantee you that others will try to steer you to lights of other configurations (3AAA, 4AA, 2xCR123A), where many more lights fit your criteria.

aceo07

Enlightened
Those are big requirements for a small flashlight. An Inova T2 can do almost 6HOURS until 50%. It is also minimag size. However, it uses 2xCR123A and no levels.

How bright are you looking for?

The_virus

Enlightened
A Nuwai 1AA 0.5w TM-317X sounds like a good fit for your specs. Uses a single AA light, but has 2 output levels, water resistance and produces a spot with nice sidespill. One of my favourite pocket-sized lights. Low setting runs for 50 hours, high for 10 hours as Nuwai claims, even if their stats fall short they're definitely bound to surpass your runtime requirements of 4 hours. It's smaller than a MiniMag but not by much.

Check out the light here, where you'll see the specs and some good pics of it. That store also links to a few independent reviews of the same light.

Note: A 2AA version of this light does exist, I've just never seen it for sale.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Tektite Splashlite Led might just fit the bill. At $20 from Batterystation (IIRC), it runs about 7-8 hrs on 1x123 (Direct Drive), is waterproof, and light and small. Its got a focused lens on the bexel to help project the beam a little, not a total thrower, pretty much good mixture of throw + flood.

Or if you're willing to go up to 3AAs, the Eternalights are very very good and durable lights that overqualify the requirements you have there. Think the basic Ergo 3 should set you back around $30+.