The definitive Malkoff Hound Dog Super thread

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have the neutral version and it's nice. It's hard to tell the lumen difference. They are both around 1400 IIRC. It's not the lumens or the tint it's the tight hotspot that throws way out there but also with enough spill to make it useful.

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
I would like to thank this thread for the idea of adding an extension tube to the super. The by Yale grips were a great idea and looking on amazon it only cost $12 for 2 pairs of grips. The hardest part was figuring out what colors to order. Cutting the grips to size was made easy by heating up an xacto knife which went through the rubber grips like a hot knife on butter. I really like the way it came out and with the extra thickness and grip. I am going to add one to the MD3 which won't need any cutting. Just some soap and water to close on. Well maybe a slit cut for the tail cap to screw on and off. I'll post a pic of that later when I have a chance.

Attachments

• 1F2CBC9D-8E39-4EDD-8E16-9876D3A62126.jpeg
    1F2CBC9D-8E39-4EDD-8E16-9876D3A62126.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 119

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
While on the subject of expanding the cells, you can do the same thing with a 'regular' Hound Dog and also M91T.

Admittedly M91T looks absurd with 3 cells, nor does it really need it. The higher consumption of the Hound Dog Super requires more cells to get equivalent runtime to a Hound Dog.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to thank this thread for the idea of adding an extension tube to the super. The by Yale grips were a great idea and looking on amazon it only cost $12 for 2 pairs of grips. The hardest part was figuring out what colors to order. Cutting the grips to size was made easy by heating up an xacto knife which went through the rubber grips like a hot knife on butter. I really like the way it came out and with the extra thickness and grip. I am going to add one to the MD3 which won't need any cutting. Just some soap and water to close on. Well maybe a slit cut for the tail cap to screw on and off. I'll post a pic of that later when I have a chance.

Looks very nice.

The "super" is one of the best tools you can get. It performs like a much more expensive light and is well built like anything Malkoff.

I rarely use it as the Hound Dog is more practical and in real life run M91T or such. But when you need your most serious light, this is king.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to reiterate, I was able to install 4xAA Lithums and the light came on nicely. Doubtful at full lumens but it worked. In fact it even worked with Alkalines.

If you are out of 18mm cells and out of 123s, know this. You can add an extension to make it 3x18mm form factor and then that right there is 200mm in length meaning 4x50mm which is what AA cell is.

Dimmlylit

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I have been lurking around for about a year now. I have learned so much here at this site as well as from this thread, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you. I think I may be ready for my first Malkoff device. I could use the new Wildcat the most, but no matter how hard I try to talk myself out of the Hound Dog Super, it just won't stop calling me.

I have a couple questions for you fellas,

1. I am definitely on a budget, and I don't have batteries or a charger. Can anyone recommend a great usb-c chargeable 18650 battery that works well with the Cat, and the Super Dog? I really don't want to mess around and get the wrong size, and I like the usb-c charger on the battery itself. Any thoughts?

2. This one may sound a bit ridiculous, but I was wondering if there is a film or lens or something that I could put on the new Hound Dog Super that might allow me to use the light as a flood light? This way it would save me a bit of cash instead of buying one light, and a head for the other.

I emailed Gene. He said he is sure something like that exists, but he doesn't sell it.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. This one may sound a bit ridiculous, but I was wondering if there is a film or lens or something that I could put on the new Hound Dog Super that might allow me to use the light as a flood light? This way it would save me a bit of cash instead of buying one light, and a head for the other.

I'm going to say no. There is a sticky film called DC Fix but that would become a pain to cut it and stick it every time.
I can't unscrew the head to get the optic out....
If you can get the head apart then you can definitely put a plastic sheet of something between the optic and the head.

I would say the hound dog super works well enough as a flood light to just use it as is.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
You could order a frosted lens from flashlight lens dot com I believe. Then you could put it on the Hound Dog when you want. Also, I believe the new Wild Cat has a thin filter on it than can be removed to give more throw. I like the batteries Malkoff sells on his website and he has a charger also.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Or,,,, just get the wildcat and take the film off when you're not looking for flood😁 it really is a great thrower like that.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm going to say no. There is a sticky film called DC Fix but that would become a pain to cut it and stick it every time.
I can't unscrew the head to get the optic out....
If you can get the head apart then you can definitely put a plastic sheet of something between the optic and the head.

I would say the hound dog super works well enough as a flood light to just use it as is.
Ya I tried that DC fix on my super. didnt really do what I was looking for.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Or,,,, just get the wildcat and take the film off when you're not looking for flood😁 it really is a great thrower like that.
It's not a film (at least on the one I just purchased) - it's a thin, hard plastic lens behind the main lens. Unscrew the bezel cap and it's between the TIR optic and outer lens with a thin spacer in between. The Wildcat comes with the 10-degree version which produces a uniform flood beam.

I would recommend the 1-degree diffuser lens used in the Hound Dog XP-L. It takes the edge off the rings and still provides 30k candela. I run my WC 18650 with the 5-degree diffuser which produces a wide, smooth 20k candela hot spot with no rings or artifacts anywhere in the beam.

Dimmlylit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really like a powerful flood for my main uses. I just thought maybe the HDS might give me a killer throw as well as possibly converting it to be a flood. But now that I consider everything, I guess I am being greedy.

It seems that maybe I should start with a Wildcat, and buy a HDS head if and when I ever have the need. I am the type of guy that likes 1 great quality multitool over a tool chest full of stuff. I can now see that I might need to rethink things when it comes to flashlights.

I wanted to save some cash instead of buying a dedicated charger. Can anyone recommend a battery that works well that fits both models?

Dimmlylit

Newly Enlightened
It's not a film (at least on the one I just purchased) - it's a thin, hard plastic lens behind the main lens. Unscrew the bezel cap and it's between the TIR optic and outer lens with a thin spacer in between. The Wildcat comes with the 10-degree version which produces a uniform flood beam.

I would recommend the 1-degree diffuser lens used in the Hound Dog XP-L. It takes the edge off the rings and still provides 30k candela. I run my WC 18650 with the 5-degree diffuser which produces a wide, smooth 20k candela hot spot with no rings or artifacts anywhere in the beam.
Would I be able to find a 10 degree version to fit the HDS you think? I had always heard that you can convert a thrower to a flood, but not a flooder to a throw. :)

Did the 5 degree diffuser come with your Wildcat if I might ask? Would it work well in HDS in your opinion just to add a bit more flood?

7 degree optic comes on HDS I think.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Would I be able to find a 10 degree version to fit the HDS you think? I had always heard that you can convert a thrower to a flood, but not a flooder to a throw. :)
Honestly just get the wildcat and see how you like it. As I say without the diffuser film on it she can throw.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Dimmlylit, Personally I think you're better off with Keepower 18650 (or 21700) Protected circuit cells, and then get a Xtar VC4SL charger, it has USB-C input. Use your own power source (3.0 PD recommended) or Illumn sells 3.0 adapters affordable.

This is a great price.. most cells with added charging ports are half again as much per cell. Something to think about if you're on a budget

Dimmlylit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link and advice knucklegary. I will think it over, in the long run I can see how your advice will save me cash. Looking at spending on Black Friday, so I will look at chargers tonight.

Last edited: