What was your prep for today?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you made my day if that info is helpful to you, given how helpful you are to us.
Plenty of old-school Amish stuff from that company.

The seal at the bottom of the well bucket is not perfect, so some dripping will occur; gives me an excuse to not waste time retrieving it. The well I use it on is less than 200 feet, and there is not a lot of water depth down there. The action of the bucket tends to stir silt/fine particles, so a settling time in your collection tub/barrel is good. A well driller some years ago told me that an old well can be improved by actually using a bucket like that to remove fine particles from the well water in marginal conditions.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the access to your well is just a 5 inch pipe? That must be a really cost effective way of accessing the water.
In my ignorance I imagine a well shaft to be 3 feet or so diameter, like the ones in the Nursery Rymes.
P

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm reminded that it's been at least a year since I cycled the water in my 5 gallon containers - I might want to do that before the local reservoirs start churning out algal blooms. I might also consider replacing them outright - one had accumulated a bit of crud about the opening last time I cycled them. Might also grab another case of bottled water for convenience uses.

scout24

Flashaholic
KITRO- You're too kind, but thank you. I know of Lehman's but have never seen that product. Anything that makes water less of a worry is high on my list. So, as soon as I see how deep my well is, that, rope, and a pulley setup will be "in my cart". QUOTE=bykfixer;5298905]Nothing.

Prep'd for nothing today. I'll just let fate take her course for a while.[/QUOTE]

There's wisdom in your post, sir. Sometimes we have to take a step back. :)

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
Been way too busy with the kids and all of their school activities but I'll hopefully get some work done this weekend and get some pictures up. I did get all the filters and fluids changed in both tractors and the atv's this week.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My prep for today was to add another uber long run flashlight to the pile.

IMG-20190405-185822.jpg

43+ hours on cabon zinc aa's.

Went to a drug store to pick up my old guy scrips and the nice lady said "it'll be about 15 minutes" so I poked around the joint and picked up some pepto chewables for in case eating nuts and berrys in the forest causes upset tummy. Also nabbed some ingrown toenail sauce for when a toe nail from one I smashed into a table while goose stepping bare foot becomes ingrown on its way out (like the last two did before), and a scale replica Ferrari for my grand sons 4th birthday in October (that I know I'll forget again).

Lastly I plopped in a battery sipping M61NLL in a de-anodized 6P that arrived in the mail today that came with a pat pend M61CW.

bignc

Enlightened
Set up the Mountain Hardware Optic 2.5 in a little state park. Wifey an I planned on hiking and backpacking in GA but yucky weather changed our mind. And now it looks like the weather men were wrong and we could've done it anyway. It's all good tho- got camp set pretty quickly and chilling in the tent now.

scout24

Flashaholic
Moved and re-assembled an 8'x10' metal storage shed today. Friends needed a chicken coop for the 20 chickens and 12 ducks they are almost ready to put outside. It was honestly going to be on the scrap metal pile here, I'm glad to see it go to good use. We're in the loop for eggs. 😁 I'm debating going and picking up 8 or so chicks just to see how it goes raising them. They're cute little buggers! High in protein, too...

Lumen83

Enlightened
Attended Search and Rescue training over the weekend. Covering such things as pack essentials, wilderness first aid, litter carries, wilderness searches, emergency shelter and fire building, etc. All of that stuff ties in great for the prepper minded folks. I highly recommend some of those types of classes/training for anyone interested in prepping.

scout24

Flashaholic
Savory Chex mix? Can't blame you... :) Got four garden beds turned over and ready to plant yesterday, and got cold frames put in place in two of them. Cleaned the dead mice out of Mrs. Scout's greenhouse so she can get ready to start plants out there...

bignc

Enlightened
Just maintenance stuff this morning. Also, trying to thin the house and shed of "extra" stuff that isn't really extra- it's just stuff. Posted some items for sale and trade here and other places and am laying out (mentally and on paper) what I HAVE and what I need- an inventory and a wish list sort of.

scout24

Flashaholic
Spent part of the afternoon digging a small trench about 100' long from the underside of my deck out to Mrs. Scout's garden. Going to bury a garden hose for plant watering so I don't hit it with the mower and have to repair it again... :)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Kind of passive, but working from home today so I'm cycling LSD NiMH cells: put charged cells from storage into devices and recharging the pulled cells. 16 ports across 4 chargers and I've still got a pile of cells waiting for the next available port.

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
Spent part of the afternoon digging a small trench about 100' long from the underside of my deck out to Mrs. Scout's garden. Going to bury a garden hose for plant watering so I don't hit it with the mower and have to repair it again... :)
This is a really good idea. I might look into doing something similar. I hate rolling up the hoses every day. Thanks for the sharing this, small things like this make life so much easier. Dan

scout24

Flashaholic
:) I figure if I blow the air out of it before winter, I should get maybe five years out of it. Mrs. Scout also asked for a small outdoor slop sink in the garden to wash veggies before bringing them inside. I figure I can just drain the muddy water into a spackle bucket and use it to water pots or bags. We run soaker hoses in the beds.

Did my 2 mile jog this morning in the mud, we had a whole bunch of rain and wind last night. Parts of roads washed out, etc. Still windy as can be, but knock on wood we didn't lose power. Ran my eu2000i for about an hour on Saturday to run a circular saw, so it got it's quarterly exercise. It's big brother will get run next week. I need to fill two cans with non-ethanol gas next time I head to that side of town.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Local media suggested that there was the potential for civilization-ending hail last night so I spent a couple hours feverishly clearing a spot in the garage for my daily driver, parking it indoors for the first time in years. Naturally, there was not only no hail but the thunderstorms passing through the area were almost mild. The experience did drive home that I need to dispose of a lot of stuff that's just taking up space.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
After Easter festivities we're over settled downstairs and moved my shtf food backup supplies. Finished up a runtime test on a light I just got and started researching what's needed to make a survival doll. Then contemplated what some might think if I did put one together. Think I will anyways