Work wear

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are lucky you aren't required to wear FR-9 stuff like I was at my last job of ~a half dozen years. That's rather limiting to the wardrobe:-(

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to have some wool pants I kept in my car for emergencies. I wore them to work for a while but the snappy bright red, orange and yellow plaid was so bright folks always made fun of me. I did not care about that. However the boss at that time dressed like a 1970's golfer so he asked me to stop wearing them.

One day they just disappeared. My first wife used to say she was embarrased to go anywhere with me when I wore them so I suspect she had a hand in that.

This year I tried on some Gander Mountain flannel lined jeans I had in the closet or at least tried to try them on. They "shrank" over the summer, along with all of my warm shirts.
Hmmm. It's a conspiracy I tell ya. My leather belt shrank too.

All year round: Western boots, long sleeve button up, western jeans. Steel core belt.

You win when you walk into Boot Barn in June and get $60 long sleeves for $10.
I also wear longsleeve button-ups year round, with Alaskan Hardgear pants or similar. But my win is a closet full of free Danner RAT boots that happened to work perfectly for me. I think I have three pairs waiting to be opened, not to mention resoled.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For years I wore thin long sleeve shirts all summer after my doctor kept saying I needed more vitamin D in my system. I said "doc I work outdoors, how can that be?" He replied "you wear sun screen, right? That's why". The thin cloth allowed enough sun to pass through without getting burned. I would actually have an untanned area where my wife beater undershirt was.

I still wear some but most disintigrated long ago. Most were made by a company called 'vintage red' I suppose because they looked like a cross between 1970's urban cowboy and 1970's surfer dude.

Now I just leave a portion of my body like a hand or an ear un-sun screened if I work outdoors.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Some sage advice, I try to adhere to especially in the winter, is... Dress for the weather as if you are going to be out in it all day. Then take off some layers once you are in the car.

I keep a retired three season (Gortex lined) coat and Gortex lined slacks in the trunk of my car. I don't keep a pair of boots, but I do keep some thin plastic bags, and dry socks, should I have to go treking out, with dress shoes, or sneakers on. The bags, over dry socks, but inside the shoe offer waterproofing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dress for the weather as if you are going to be out in it all day. Then take off some layers once you are in the car.
Especially if you believe your gas guage when it says you actually have a quarter tank left.

GoreTex was a marvelous invention.
I noticed one year at work that my feet stayed just as warm while wearing a non insulated GoreTex lined boot as my so-called winter boots. Even with my summer cotton socks.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Years ago, my boots were all leather Timberlands. I don't need steel tipped toes work boots, and eventually I switched to lightweight, 200 gram thinsulate, gortex lined, cordura sided, Rocky brand boots. Since I don't wear them all the time, they lasted me many years.

My latest set of boots, are the same but with 400 gram thinsulate insulation, and a wooded camo design. I couldn't find a 200 gram set in my size. This new set may be too warm to wear when camping in the summer, whereas with 200 gram, I could get away with it.

I have a pair of gortex ankle high hiking shoes that I wear instead. They keep my feet dry in the morning dew, or rain. But they don't give the ankle support I prefer when walking on uneven ground.

It's tough having these first world problems. :ohgeez:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My boss had 10 Carhartt pullover hooded sweatshirts donned up with our company logo and gave me one. It's water repellent. Normally I don't dig on pullover hoodies, but they do make a big difference in the wind. They call it "rain defender" and it is fairly water repellent. How long I do not know, but I do know when you dance between a deluge of silver dollar size rain drops between your car and a building it does the job.

The one we received is a quarter zip, sherpa lined number. Much like Carhartt "duck" canvass this one is fairly stiff starting out but does not stay that way long.
Speaking of first world problems, it's been fairly mild in my region since I received the rain defender so it's mostly been hanging on a chair this fall/winter season so far but Jack Frost is on the docket to visit us soon.

Edit:
Went to the Home Depot for some paint and cord and they had some Carhartt gear. Ended up buying another Carhartt ball cap. I have a couple with mesh rear but until today none without the mesh rear. At first I balked at it presuming it was made in China but it seems they have switched to Vietnam so at least it was not produced in a country who has a 100 year plan to overthrow my country.
AD313A54-7757-4114-9613-CCE322711FB5.jpeg

Now I can look like those fellows on Yellowstone

Anyway, they had full zip Rain Defender hoodies but only in heavyweight. Now I like me some zip up hoodies but mid weight is the go to kind. So I will use some "camp dry" on the 30-ish year old hoody I wear around the house in the winter. My youngest turned 31 this year and I remember trying on the jacket in a surf shop long ago while my first wife was upset that the boy needed a diaper change. It was made in America by Jerzees
End edit.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I agree! A stiff hoodie, is NOT the way to go. Years ago, I got into a fight wearing a stiff coat with a stiff hood attached. I threw a right, and the hood followed my shoulders. It blinded me, and the villain grabbed my hood, and we went to the ground. I took three punches before I locked him up, kneed him in the in-between, and rolled him over. Just as I was about to even the score, the cops got there and pulled me off.

I'll go with the 30-is year old, well broken in Carhart that has been soaked with Camp-dry, any day of the week!

By the way... that Camp-dry has refreshed many a tent for me, boots, and jackets. IMO it is a very inexpensive product that increases my comfort. It is worth every penny. It's a silicone based water repellant I buy at Walmart, or in the past at Kmart.

What passes for winter here does not require cold weather pants. I use Prana Zions in hottest summer and 511 Tactical ABR Pro the rest of the year. The 511s are actually far more useful, with deep velcro cargo pockets and angled rear pockets that catch your knife or flashlight clip with ease. Poly cotton blend is super stretchy and comfortable. They are water resistant but dry very quickly if they do get wet, which happens often when I'm on the road working in paper mills.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
JImIslander,
You are right. location is significant!
I am about 350 miles North of Mr. Fixer, and his temps are typically about 10 degrees F warmer, than mine. Monticello, NY is only about 75 miles north west of me, and it is typically about 10 degrees F cooler than me.

It seems to me that your winters are much more temperate than mine, but your summers, may be worse.

JImIslander,
You are right. location is significant!
I am about 350 miles North of Mr. Fixer, and his temps are typically about 10 degrees F warmer, than mine. Monticello, NY is only about 75 miles north west of me, and it is typically about 10 degrees F cooler than me.

It seems to me that your winters are much more temperate than mine, but your summers, may be worse.
Our winters are silly. 75 degrees today. Been running the air nightly for a couple weeks. Summers are hell on earth, but it's a wet heat. :p

I have a business that requires time in the warehouse each day. I actually work during the hottest part of the day in the warehouse. This changes my body to enable me to survive hard dirt bike rides in the heat, covered in armor from head to toe. Nothing like being 60 and riding 20-year-olds into the ground.

Since I often work in paper mills, it also helps with that, as they are notoriously hot and wet.

Poppy

Flashaholic
In New Jersey, we also have a wet heat in the summer, but it doesn't compare to the wet heat in Jamaica. Boy oh boy... it is no wonder why they move so slowly. There is much to be said about the Arizona dry heat compared to anywhere wet heat.

I can't say that I envy you.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I wanted to mention stretchy jeans. What a marvelous invention!

I've got a couple pairs of Duluth Trading jeans that are made of a somewhat stretchy "jeans" material (which they call DuluthFlex). With their no-pinch gusset design and the stretchy fabric, they're much more comfortable than "regular" jeans. Highly recommended. They've even got lined versions, for colder weather.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I looked at a fire hose parka at Diluth web site and changed my mind because of reviews……
Folks from Alaska and the Yukon said and I quote "it's too warm"……yup, too warm. So let me get this straight, in -20 degree weather it is too warm? So that would mean in my typical mid 20's and up it could be like wearing a rubber suit at the equator? Anyway, if it had not been $250 I would've tried it.

Today in my area it was 60 degrees at midnight with a big ole storm chugging our way. Awakened at 4am by the sounds of heavy I knew it could be a tricky commute being the forecast was 32 at 9am. I threw on the Carhartt rain defender at 8 and headed out the door where a wind out of the north nearly ripped the door out of my hand yet it was still raining. Raining pellets. Uh oh. It was a balmy 34 and falling. Radar showed the storm was just getting going over us. The rain defender laughed at the weather.

By the time I reached my destination after driving 35 mph with my flashers on and seeing ditches and medians littered with dummies in SUV's I arrived at the project and told the team to go home while they still could safely. The roads were covered with an inch of Slurpee and the pellets had changed to silver dollar snow flakes.

I worked at home for a while then when the radar showed the snow was nearly gone it was time to clean the 2-4" off vehicles. The wind was still howling so I figured it was time to find out what that Hawx parka I mentioned in post 1 was going to be capable of. Well, it needs to have a coat of camp-dri applied but man that thing was warm. I never felt any chill wearing it over a t-shirt in a blustery 20 some degree snow squall. Yet it was loose moving like a flannel shirt. No binding, no stiffness, just warm.
Impressed.
661604EC-F459-4289-BD4B-33997B4E3291.jpeg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have to work outdoors often anymore, so I get away with a long sleeved t-shirt, jeans and a pair of Asics trail runners.
Just ordered a pair of Wrangler Riggs ranger pants with double knees to see how they'll work out as usually the knees are the first to go on my jeans. Like Mr. Fixer, I've found that they seem to have changed how the sizes run and I now need a higher number in the waist size…
When I am outside in the cold, a turtleneck, under a cabellas canvas shirt, followed by a Carhartt Arctic coat with a pair of ll bean flannel lined jeans, smartwool socks and either pac boots, or bogs neoprene insulated hunters do quite well. Gloves are always the problem, as dexterity is needed, and I had finger surgery many moons ago that made one right hand finger not like the cold. I tend to keep two pair of gloves handy, a pair of Ringers mechanics gloves, and an older pair of "hotfingers" that are appropriately named. Many hats to choose from depending on weather severity, but my favorite for the cold is just a fleece lined wool blend winter beanie from Eddie Bauer that my kids got me years ago on the premise that if I had picked one it would have been an old person's hat.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Spent a big chunk of a paycheck on work gear that will also be used as personal wear.
The boss had issued some Carhartt rain defender pull overs but I don't dig on pull overs for regular day to day. I like full zip. So while in a Home Depot I bought a full zip sherpa lined rain defender. My grandson liked a safety yellow beanie on the Carhartt display so I bought him one of those as well.

So then it was off to a shoe store to find some insulated hikers. Several years ago Wolverine made a goretex lined, 400g thinsulate hard toe hiker. But then it was only available in soft toe, then not at all. Dratz! I bought some mighty fine waterproof Skechers hikers on sale. Yet they are not insulated. It seems insulated hikers in my area have gone the way of the 8-track tape.

Today it was off to the work clothes store near me since that was where those Wolverines came from way back when. My hopes were soon dashed though. Nope, nobody sells insulated hikers in my area so I did the next best thing……insulated 6" Wolverine dura-shocks work boots with carbon fiber hard toe.
47220076-643E-45E5-A1E3-EA9E4C917ECC.jpeg

The tread is more of an all season radial than a snow tire but in 30 minutes they felt like an old favorite pair of boots. Now 400 grams of thinsulate is about like putting on a second layer of socks, but now I can slide on one pair of socks and still have warm tootsies.

When it's rainy and muddy those Sketchers will get the nod with two pairs of socks if it's cold, yet they'll also do well in warm weather.
8A7B5CE3-F31F-4114-B288-656BA93593A6.jpeg

If we get blizzard conditions I have some much warmer boots but the 12" uppers mean they are not something I wear often, hence why they are still like new.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yesterday at work I was conversating with a contractor guy about an issue while it was about 22 degrees out. We were in the shade and the wind was gusting pretty steady about 10mph. The Wolverine boots kept my feet toasty while standing on frozen ground with one pair of this polyester yarn socks for around two hours before op said "holy crap I'm cold let's end this conversation so I can warm up"…… I said "sure, I was just testing out my new boots' insulation, they passed".