LEP for hunting in PA

RockGlock86

Newly Enlightened
In the Pa game commision book it says "furbearers may not use a flashlight or spotlight that projects a laser light beam". Does anyone know if this means LEP or those coyote spotlights with a red or green laser on them? Thanks

DRW

Enlightened
LEP does not emit a laser beam, this is a key difference from the light/laser combo.

I certainly would not say anything to a CO/Warden about LEP technology while hunting. It is possible that you might just make things harder on yourself than they need to be.

FYI, I'm headed to northern Wisconsin this coming weekend to hunt coyote. I have a Fenix HT30R at the ready for mounting on my rifle or shotgun if we decide to hunt at night. WI law is very similarly worded to PA.

RockGlock86

Newly Enlightened
good to know, I figured thats what it was but wasnt sure if they were specifically looking for LEP or just red or green lasers.

VT-light

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix HT30R flashlight says on it "Class 1 White Laser flashlight". If a the warden looked at your flashlight and read that, I suspect questions would follow.

DRW

Enlightened
My Fenix HT30R flashlight says on it "Class 1 White Laser flashlight". If a the warden looked at your flashlight and read that, I suspect questions would follow.
Emery cloth or put a sticker over it with your name. I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the laser inside the light exciting the phosphor.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
@DRW or anybody, is charging port protected with aluminum sleeve, or does whole head rotate to expose the the USB port ?

If the white printing (tell tale) is on head I'd wrap with some blue painters tape, and like DRW said, write your name with felt tip pen "Rocks flashlight"

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect time to get a thermal optics scope.

I always go back to what is the intent or spirit of the rule. With good thermal optics limited to less than 100 yards for species identification — I'd assume the intent is to disallow using a device that shines 1,000 meters to locate game

25D6AD51-743B-4559-A158-6D4B1871D9AA.jpeg

DRW

Enlightened
Decent thermal scopes are expensive. I use them at work, so I know I would be disappointed with the consumer grade stuff.

A LEP does not emit a laserlight beam. The inner workings of the light are immaterial. Whatever is quoted in furtaking (no idea what the source is) only addresses what is projected.

Shining (locating game) is a completely different topic. Using a flashlight to verify the target and a safe shooting back drop is not shining. @kerneldrop, I believe your assumption is wrong in the example provided.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the direct verbiage from the Pa Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries

Maybe so. Why else would they care what weapon mounted light is used? I can't think of another logical reasoning.

DRW

Enlightened
That is the direct verbiage from the Pa Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries

Maybe so. Why else would they care what weapon mounted light is used? I can't think of another logical reasoning.
That may be directly quoted, but that's not the law, probably paraphrased.

Laws can't be vague, that denies due process (5th & 14th amendments). If they don't want us using a light capable of 1000 yards, they have to spell it out in the law. If the law doesn't address something, it's allowed.

I can think of other reasons, but those don't matter. The law must be specific. Go find the actual law/regulation and we'll work through the elements of what isn't allowed.

BTW, LEPs are not the only lights capable of 1000 yards. I think you know that.

Last edited:

raymond~

Newly Enlightened
LEP does not emit a laser beam, this is a key difference from the light/laser combo.
It does emit a laser beam. It may not in your dictionary but it is from a technical standpoint

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe what they meant was an actual laser, as in laser sight, so you do not permanently blind game or other hunters. But then laws are written vaguely on purpose.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like this is what they are referring to…specifically the aiming laser

074B13CF-12C8-459A-AD0C-05EBEE732469.jpeg

Reactions: DRW

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
An IR laser beam is visible in NVG, even first gen. but not to a naked eye. i wonder if that law applies to those, a game warden will not be able to see it unless he is also looking thru NVG.

DRW

Enlightened
Maybe what they meant was an actual laser, as in laser sight, so you do not permanently blind game or other hunters. But then laws are written vaguely on purpose.
Pretty clear to me that they are talking about a laser beam for aiming.

DRW

Enlightened
I agree with the first 12 words.

The law has nothing to do with blinding game or hunters. If it did, it would say so.

Vaguely written laws are unconstitutional. We have talked about this in other threads.