LEP for hunting in PA

DRW

Enlightened
An IR laser beam is visible in NVG, even first gen. but not to a naked eye. i wonder if that law applies to those, a game warden will not be able to see it unless he is also looking thru NVG.
The spectrum doesn't matter. The law doesn't address spectrum.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Here's the text:

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to: (1)(i) A person on foot who uses a flashlight or spotlight held in the hand, worn on the head or mounted on a firearm to take furbearers, if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.(ii) For the purposes of this paragraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.

So it seems to me that the HT30r would be fine, even mounted on a firearm, as it is unable to be used to identify the point of impact.

DRW

Enlightened
Here's the text:

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to: (1)(i) A person on foot who uses a flashlight or spotlight held in the hand, worn on the head or mounted on a firearm to take furbearers, if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.(ii) For the purposes of this paragraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.

So it seems to me that the HT30r would be fine, even mounted on a firearm, as it is unable to be used to identify the point of impact.
Bob, LEP doesn't emit laser. The point of impact aspect is kinda moot.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Bob, LEP doesn't emit laser. The point of impact aspect is kinda moot.
Yeah, I'm aware of that.

Possibly the nuances of the law might be of interest to those who are not as well-informed as you and I.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
You're right; never do anything that might appear as though you were a citizen, ruled by laws. Far safer to anticipate the desire of the Crown, and be a faithful subject.

Don't read the quoted law; act out of fear and subservience.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I advise that you don't break any small laws and stick to committing serious felonies or organised crime even. Police are really good at catching small things but are usually pretty clueless on things they aren't so familiar with. If you study the police reports in your area you will get a good feel for what types of activities they are good at solving.

If you compartmentalise your crimes even when detected it will appear as if the scope of your offense was very limited which result in less time.

It would be like say you were into poaching. I wouldn't do it at night with a spotlight from a vehicle whilst drunk with a sawn-off shotgun or a full auto rifle in a stolen truck and shooting bald eagles. But maybe getting more than your limit of deer or fish but not having that amount with you might be safer even if you do it often.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
It's not a small law; it's not a law at all. Read the law I quoted.

As long as it's not attached to a firearm, and capable of being a targeting device, it is unaffected by the law.

Feel free to make as many extraneous restrictions on yhour life and activities as you see fit, but please don't tell the rest of us to worry about your personal issues. There's sufficient real legalities to deal with, without adding more, out of an excess of fainthearted foreboding.

Reactions: DRW

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as crimes, I advise not bothering with those if one wants a relatively stress-free life. Plus, convicted felones when they do get out, often can't even get jobs flipping burgers at Fast Food joints due to their criminal record.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every post here is understandable, given where each is coming from.

While I strongly disagree with some of the comments @letschat7 has made about some of his preferences, he has divulged some of his past. It is different than a LEO and most men.

We all know (I think) that an authority looking to nail someone could easily use the flashlight label "laser" on an attached light source to bring the law to bear, causing problems for the accused.

However unlikely, some people do not want to take that chance. I would if it was the right tool. Here in New Mexico, coyote have no restricted season.

Would love to get a thermal. Looking to take out rodents…