Maglite Lumen Specs legit?

psandherr

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a MAGLITE ML50LX™ 3-CELL C LED FLASHLIGHT to replace my lost 2D LED and the ML was 20 dollars more than that was in 2014 and although the specs are better the light doesn't seem as bright?

This was supposed to be my workhorse beater light but now i'm debating sending it back

(are knockoffs ever an issue?)

611 lumens
339 beam

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try new batteries. These lights are bright. You should notice a substantial increase in brightness over the previous generations

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

+1

New batteries should give you better brightness. These lights need good batteries for best performance. I run my ML50's on either Tenergy or soshine NiMH C cells, AA Eneloops in spacers or protected 18650's in adapters, all three work great.

psandherr

Newly Enlightened
put brandnew duracells in it, still need to make a trip to batteries + for some NiMH's, I dont wanna put 18650s in because of the abuse this light will probably take

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be bright on brand new duracells, but it will likely lose power as the batteries run down, unlike NiMH's that can delivered full power until they are pretty much dead. Alkalines also leak and lose a lot of capacity at higher Amp draws, which is why I avoid them.

The specs for both my 2C ML50LX and 3C ML50L seem accurate and I have never heard of any knockoffs of these lights. One thing about these lights is that they do not have quite as much throw as some of the other Mags (due to their larger Cree XML2 LEDs), which makes their hot spots a little less intense looking, but they are still fairly throwy lights and Mag's lumen claims are, in my experience, accurate.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML50 and 300 are tuned for max vision. So you don't get that standard Maglite beam that throws like it was shot from a wrist rocket like the classic LED version.

The new "classic" 2D (that has not shown up at many places yet) is similar to the former classic, mechanical switch and all. But it has a low setting too. Should run about $35.

I use the dark blue Rayovacs as they hold their voltage better than the copper top bunny brands.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I run my ML50's on either Tenergy or soshine NiMH C cells, AA Eneloops in spacers or protected 18650's in adapters, all three work great.

Can you point me to those 18650 adapters, for various numbers of cells? Anything that doesn't require you to mod the light or tail spring for length?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you point me to those 18650 adapters, for various numbers of cells? Anything that doesn't require you to mod the light or tail spring for length?

iPrpwCQ.jpg

I make them myself and have recently begun to offer some for sale. None of them require any shortening of the tailcap spring or any other permanent modifications; they are designed to drop in in place for a set of normal C or D cells.

If you would like more information, please shoot me a PM as I don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks.