Malkoff M60 MC-E

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I recently got my Malkoff M60W MC-E Warm, in the mail.

I already have a host lined up... FM 1x18650 body, Surefire z41 tailcap, and 6P head. (All thanks to Nite's massive sales thread over at the MarketPlace).

Now I'm just waiting for the AW IMR 18650 cells to arrive with my latest lighthound order, and then I can fire this baby up!

About 470 lumens out the front. :twothumbs

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I recently got my Malkoff M60W MC-E Warm, in the mail.

Now I'm just waiting for the AW IMR 18650 cells to arrive

I've tried running my M60W MC-E off an 18650/2600. Even fresh off the charger there isn't enough voltage (4.5v) to even turn it on. Do you have a special version?

I usually run it off a pair of either IMR16340's (compact) or AW C's (long runtime).

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I've tried running my M60W MC-E off an 18650/2600. Even fresh off the charger there isn't enough voltage (4.5v) to even turn it on. Do you have a special version?

+1

I usually run it off a pair of either IMR16340's[/URL]).

+1 again. :)

I bought a MD4 body from Gene Malkoff and run 2 x 18650 Li Ion with my MD2 head running my M60W MCE, nice setup. The 2 stage ring is a must for this IMO. Fits nice in my rear jeans pocket when goofin around outside. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I usually run it off a pair of either IMR16340's (compact) or AW C's (long runtime).

If it doesn't work, I'm going to be royally p*ssed! I've seen other, veteran, CPFers post that the AW IMR 18650 + M60W MC-E is a great combination.

Money is a bit tight this year, and this was going to be my only project light. I see PSM has had the same experience you did.

I'll try out the IMR 18650 cells when they get here. Easiest solution will be to buy some IMR 16340 cells, and sell my IMR 18650s in the MarketPlace, if the light's output turns out to be a joke.

I appreciate the heads-up though. Thanks.

EDIT :

Took a closer look at Gene's site. Yup, one IMR 18650 = Not gonna work! An even easier solution will be to just use two CR123 primary cells.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing rocks with the right set up! To me, it is worth the money, if you like a floody wall of light. With what ever batteries you choose, you will need to use two.

If it doesn't work, I'm going to be royally p*ssed! I've seen other, veteran, CPFers post that the AW IMR 18650 + M60W MC-E is a great combination.

I wish I had seen your topic back in April. Money is a bit tight this year, and this was going to be my only project light. I see PSM has had the same experience you did.

I'll try out the IMR 18650 cells when they get here. Easiest solution will be to buy some IMR 16340 cells, and sell my IMR 18650s in the MarketPlace, if the light's output turns out to be a joke.

I appreciate the heads-up though. Thanks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This thing rocks with the right set up! To me, it is worth the money, if you like a floody wall of light. With what ever batteries you choose, you will need to use two.

I just came back from checking Gene's official website. Just confirmed that the only way an 18650 combo will work with his M60W MC-E Warm is if two of them are used. (Just not enough voltage).

Screw it! I'll just use 2xCR123 primaries instead!

Hoped to have a kick-*** output, rechargeable light. But it seems every time I try to do that, I end up realizing that primary CR123 cells work better. Whether it is my Leef-bodied 9P, my Leef-bodied M4, and now my FiveMega-bodied 6P. My Solarforce L600 was a complete joke. My Wolf-Eyes Rattlesnake is the only light that actually performs better with rechargeable cells, than when it's set up for CR123 primaries. (The W.E. 18500 extender barely adds length to the light, and the output with three 18500 cells is very nice).

Looking back, one of the CPFers who mentioned using only one 18650 cell had a custom P7 Malkoff, not a standard M60W MC-E. With regards to DHart, that was my mistake for assuming the two drop-ins were that similar.

Still, at least two other respected CPFers made mention of Gene's M60W MC-E working well with one IMR 18650, and specifically the Warm version which I ended up buying. No clue why they chose to lie. But I'll be scrolling past their posts from now on.

The most expensive thing in my last Lighthound order were the four AW IMR 18650 cells.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
I believe there were some direct drive drop ins by special request that could use 1 x 18650. I plan on purchasing a MD3 body so I can use 3 cr 123's or 2 18650's for a bit better runtime.

P60 MCE warm + md2 with two stage ring. My absolute best light. I hope you feel the same.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I believe there were some direct drive drop ins by special request that could use 1 x 18650. I plan on purchasing a MD3 body so I can use 3 cr 123's or 2 18650's for a bit better runtime.

P60 MCE warm + md2 with two stage ring. My absolute best light. I hope you feel the same.

Yup, that's where I screwed up. Gene did make a few direct drive P7 drop-ins that could work well with an IMR 1x18650.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just came back from checking Gene's official website. Just confirmed that the only way an 18650 combo will work with his M60W MC-E Warm is if two of them are used. (Just not enough voltage).

Hoped to have a kick-*** output, rechargeable light. But it seems every time I try to do that, I end up realizing that primary CR123 cells work better. Whether it is my Leef-bodied 9P, my Leef-bodied M4, and now my FiveMega-bodied 6P. My Solarforce L600 was a complete joke. My Wolf-Eyes Rattlesnake is the only light that actually performs better with rechargeable cells, than when it's set up for CR123 primaries. (The W.E. 18500 extender barely adds length to the light, and the output with three 18500 cells is very nice).

Looking back, one of the CPFers who mentioned using only one 18650 cell had a custom P7 Malkoff, not a standard M60W MC-E. With regards to D-Hart, that was my mistake for assuming the two drop-ins were that similar.

Still, at least two other respected CPFers made mention of Gene's M60W MC-E working well with one 18650, and specifically the Warm version which I ended up buying. No clue why they chose to lie. But I'll be scrolling past their posts from now on.

The most expensive thing in my last Lighthound order were the four AW IMR 18650 cells.

Gene had a MC-E that ran off of one 18650 for awhile. Gene's web site has the specs for the current MCE's and voltage requirements, and much discussion on CPF re his lights and their voltage requirements. You are sure that those CPF'ers are lying? Have you contacted them by PM for clarification before you have branded them liars? Harsh words here on CPF.

Bill

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Hoped to have a kick-*** output, rechargeable light. But it seems every time I try to do that, I end up realizing that primary CR123 cells work better.

Like Justin Case, I'm planning a Moddoo Triple, running off a single IMR26500. If you can get ahold of one, a single 18650 will work just as well!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gene had a MC-E that ran off of one 18650 for awhile. Gene's web site has the specs for the current MCE's and voltage requirements, and much discussion on CPF re his lights and their voltage requirements. You are sure that those CPF'ers are lying? Have you contacted them by PM for clarification before you have branded them liars? Harsh words here on CPF.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I'm going to look into this to see if indeed they were discussing the earlier run of MC-E drop-ins that you mentioned.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were most likely talking about the direct drive MCE M60, which only works with one cell. I have one and use it with a 18650 in my MD2. I dont recommend this set up because of the lack of regulation, high current draw, and heat issues with the direct drive modules. The regular module is the way to go, much lower current draw, and less heat issues which permits being able to burn the light longer.

Looking back, one of the CPFers who mentioned using only one 18650 cell had a custom P7 Malkoff, not a standard M60W MC-E. With regards to DHart, that was my mistake for assuming the two drop-ins were that similar.

Still, at least two other respected CPFers made mention of Gene's M60W MC-E working well with one IMR 18650, and specifically the Warm version which I ended up buying. No clue why they chose to lie. But I'll be scrolling past their posts from now on.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They were most likely talking about the direct drive MCE M60, which only works with one cell. I have one and use it with a 18650 in my MD2. I dont recommend this set up because of the lack of regulation, high current draw, and heat issues with the direct drive modules. The regular module is the way to go, much lower current draw, and less heat issues which permits being able to burn the light longer.

Thanks for the info. about Gene's earlier MC-E drop-in.

The more I think about it, the more I've decided I'd rather not deal with the disadvantages of using IMR rechargeables. I know that to many CPFers, those disadvantages are small compared to the benefits. But on a personal level, I'm better off with primaries.

Thanks again.

Vernon

Enlightened
Forgive me if this is a simple question - I might be over-complicating this. Gene's site states that the input voltage is 5-13 volts for the M60W MC-E. Does that mean I can use it in host that requires three CR123 batteries like a Surefire C3? Is the math as simple as (3 batteries x 3volts = 9volts)?

By the way, I have an old Surefire Z3 - does anyone know if that will host the M60 MC-E?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Forgive me if this is a simple question - I might be over-complicating this. Gene's site states that the input voltage is 5-13 volts for the M60W MC-E. Does that mean I can use it in host that requires three CR123 batteries like a Surefire C3? Is the math as simple as (3 batteries x 3volts = 9volts)?

By the way, I have an old Surefire Z3 - does anyone know if that will host the M60 MC-E?

In this case, the math is indeed that simple.

3xCR123 = 9volts.

Not an issue, as even 4 primary cells would be 12volts. (The only 13volt light I own is a Wolf-Eyes M90 Rattlesnake with the 3x18500 extender).

Can't comment about your older Z3 since I don't have one.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Z3 uses the same bezel as Z2, they are all SureFire "C" D26 hosts, so yes you can use it. The Malkoff MC-E requires at least 5+ volts in order to work in regulation, but it will run for longer and more efficiently at higher voltages. So a 9v (3xCR123) host is better than a 6v (2xCR123) host.

You can even use a 3X18650 Leef Body for extreme runtimes (that's what I'll use with my M60W MC-E).

Cheers

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. about Gene's earlier MC-E drop-in.

The more I think about it, the more I've decided I'd rather not deal with the disadvantages of using IMR rechargeables. I know that to many CPFers, those disadvantages are small compared to the benefits. But on a personal level, I'm better off with primaries.

Thanks again.
You should never use IMR cell with regulated LEDs. Regular LiCo batteries are much better (and safer for the cells).

IMRs are only for high-current applications (hotwires, power incans and high-powered direct-driven LEDs.)

I agree that primaries are great, but they can't take anything above 2.5A.

Last edited: