Malkoff M61 / M61N as Do-it-all lights

With the changes and improvements over the years, do you think the current M61 would cut the mustard if you could only take one light with you, or do you feel the need for a different beam profile or output?

Which tint option do you find most useful to you, personally? Which tint option do you think is most useful for the widest variety of tasks?

Do any of you think the M61L is enough to be their all-around light, or is the extra output of the M61 where it's at?

I'm loving my M61T but I'm interested in comparing this with your experiences using the traditional M61 reflector dropins. Of course lights with extreme characteristics are cool but I think there's something really special about a light that gives you a beam that's just right.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Sorry, but the M91BN made most of the M61 models obsolete IMHO, as long as you're not running 2-3 CR123 primaries. A superior floody beam, more useful overall compared to the somewhat-better throw of the M61.

Modestly beats the M61 on the M91B's "reduced"-output 1xLiIon config (& simply buries it on 2xLiIon), can even get mega long runtimes on 1xCR123 and specific 2xAA configurations when desired.
The "easter egg" revised driver (compared to the M91A) was a game changer. :)

Last edited:

michaex

Enlightened
Sorry, but the M91BN made most of the M61 models obsolete IMHO, as long as you're not running 2-3 CR123 primaries. A superior floody beam, more useful overall compared to the somewhat-better throw of the M61.

Modestly beats the M61 on the M91B's "reduced"-output 1xLiIon config (& simply buries it on 2xLiIon), can even get mega long runtimes on 1xCR123 and specific 2xAA configurations when desired.
The "easter egg" revised driver (compared to the M91A) was a game changer. :)
I keep reading about that M91BN - got a spare? ;) It was a GB drop-in, right?

Sorry, but the M91BN made most of the M61 models obsolete IMHO, as long as you're not running 2-3 CR123 primaries.
I have no experience with the M91 series, but I've studied INFRNL's graphs. It's impressive that the M91B outputs a tremendous amount of light on almost any power source. Seems a bit power-hungry to me, though--the M61 looks like it will run for longer than the 91B on a given power source. Does that line up with your experience?

Edit: Looks like the M91B will run at 700lm for 35m on a single 18350, which would translate to ~2.25h on a 3500mah 18650 if I'm not mistaken. This is highly impressive. Though it appears that the M61 will run for longer than the M91B on 2x18650. Not sure how that makes sense.

:wtf:

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with the M91 series, but I've studied INFRNL's graphs. It's impressive that the M91B outputs a tremendous amount of light on almost any power source. Seems a bit power-hungry to me, though--the M61 looks like it will run for longer than the 91B on a given power source. Does that line up with your experience?

Edit: Looks like the M91B will run for 35m on a single 18350, which would translate to ~2.25h on a 3500mah 18650 if I'm not mistaken. This is highly impressive.

I'll test this later tonight

My M61NLL has great tint and CRI, and it plenty bright for 90% of all my tasks, with the other 10% being for long distance needs greater than 150ish ft. Does not get hot and runs a long time.
My M61T is nowhere near as bright as the HD or 91 series but I already find it to be a bit much for 90% of what I'm doing. Kind of sad to mostly pull it out to use on low!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of you think the M61L is enough to be their all-around light, or is the extra output of the M61 where it's at?

For me the MDC 1CR123 is the all-around light.
I haven't been in a situation where the MDC 1CR123 was underlumened.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M61T is nowhere near as bright as the HD or 91 series but I already find it to be a bit much for 90% of what I'm doing. Kind of sad to mostly pull it out to use on low!

That's where I'm at....low and medium low work for me 99% of the time.
For the remaining 1%, I most likely need more capacity, not more lumens or throw.
The only time I need the big stuff is when I'm trailing deer and hogs.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I went with a M61lL for my pre dawn walks. Plenty of runtime and I find I use it more often than my MD2 with a 219b in neutral

Last edited:
That's where I'm at....
I like the NL since it appears nearly as bright in use as an M61N but 5x the runtime.

That's where I think I'm going too. Something like an M61NL H/L MD3, perhaps?

Previously, my thinking has been influenced by the dogma that an EDC light needs to be 1,000+lm and 100,000cd just in case it will ever be used in a self-defense context, even though in reality it will probably be used for utility 99% of the time. It ends up kind of annoying because you tote around a searing torch for basic EDC tasks.

Recently I've started wondering if ~250 lumens out of a quality reflector isn't enough to illuminate a dark corner in a parking garage or a potential attacker. If you need an M61T to see a threat, is it really still an immediate threat? (Obviously duty lights are for a special use-case.) Just thinking out loud. Because it would be really hard to leave that capability home.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I've started wondering if ~250 lumens out of a quality reflector isn't enough to illuminate a dark corner in a parking garage or a potential attacker. If you need an M61T to see a threat, is it really still an immediate threat?

That's why I go back to the MDC CR123 time after time.
I've got fancy stuff, lego stuff, big stuff, small stuff, and mid sized stuff.... but if I had to pick one it would easily be the MDC CR123 with zero hesitation.

3/50/300 Lumens (Cool 5700K)
3/40/210 Lumens (Neutral 4000K)
TAC: 250/25/3 Lumens

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The m61n (and m61w) is so good for the vast majority of general purpose use. There are times it could be brighter and times it could throw farther but it's really the ideal middle ground. I would be just fine if it was all I had. I would want the hi/low ring though.

The L and LL are also fantastic for general purpose use. I do carry a brighter backup light when I'm using the L and LL, just in case.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's either bc of quads or skinny jeans…but an MD2 is a thick light that becomes a chore carrying in my pocket. Even the VME head is noticeable.

It's fine in my holster though.

I guess I've become soft from carrying smaller lights

Definitely not knocking the MDC's form factor. That's a lot of a light in a tiny package. But somehow I can carry an MD3 comfortably, quads and skinny jeans notwithstanding :) I guess I got lucky?

I'm going to have to buy an M61N and M61NL and see what I can get away with. I'd love an MDC too one day; we will see what's in the cards.