Malkoff MDC - The “Poor Man's Haiku” - Another Ideal EDC

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this over in the MDC thread. I had an extra McGizmo clip that I thought would work but I needed to drill / tap new holes. It was my first attempt with a drill press and it turned out pretty good. Now it tail stands with zero wobble and its easier to take out of my pocket.

MDC_MCC1_zps5a74657b.jpg

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work on that!

I posted this over in the MDC thread. I had an extra McGizmo clip that I thought would work but I needed to drill / tap new holes. It was my first attempt with a drill press and it turned out pretty good. Now it tail stands with zero wobble and its easier to take out of my pocket.

MDC_MCC1_zps5a74657b.jpg

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just played lego. I have the new 219B MDC from IS and a VME head with M361 N dropin on a Vital Gear FB1 body. Switched the bodies (and cells) and love the result. The FB1 body with MDC head is thinner and shorter and the VME head on MDC body is more balanced. Pictures when I have time.

seasam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review and comparison! I really love the sharing of reflector and click design.

But I have some concerns:
1. MDC's lack of polarity protection worries me. I wish Gene can upgrade the design to address this issue.

2. I think the clip needs to be redesigned. Totally in the way of Mcgizmo or Zebralight SC52. The screws should not be disposed and can be seen from the tail side. And the clip should not protrude.

3. The design of the body should be refined to have better grip.

4. Malkoff should provide LED options, especially with HCRI option.

5. Battery compatibility and resulted level spaces. Now it is quite confusing since the light levels on AA and 123 batteries are different. MDC AA can use 14500 in the beginning, but not now. And even if yes, I think the light levels will be much different, which is not good in my opinion. SC52 will display the same light levels with NiMH or 14500, except the highest burst. I think I like the lowlow in MDC AA more since it is perfect for a bedside light.

6. They should have a dealer within EU.

If all these can be addressed, I think I will take one.

It looks like reverse polarity protection is offered in some of the heads now on Malkoff's site. And if you wanted to use a 14500 it looks like you could use a AA body on a li-ion head as they are sold separately. Although this does cost a few more dollars. Does anyone have this combo? Did the old lights allow 14500 and standard AA ?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like reverse polarity protection is offered in some of the heads now on Malkoff's site. And if you wanted to use a 14500 it looks like you could use a AA body on a li-ion head as they are sold separately. Although this does cost a few more dollars. Does anyone have this combo? Did the old lights allow 14500 and standard AA ?

Unfortunately, I don't think Gene has the capability to do boost/buck drivers - you even have to choice between LV and HV heads for the CR123/16340 format.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
79fde026-108d-4383-978d-f66a211606ed_zps8ab76025.jpg

The smallest mdc lego. The neutral 16340 lo-med-hi head + old valiant little twisty body. I like the runtime curve on it. Gets dimmer and dimmer long before the protection in the 16340 kicks in. I dont like a 100% flat regulation all the way until the protection kicks in. Eats the small 16340 too fast, and youre suddently left in the dark. That wont happen with the mdc li-ion head.

Use the mdc aa body with a vme head with a m30w. Runs really well on both a AA and a 14500 :)
Tossed in the tiny quark mini xm-l to show the size of the "little lego brick".

Last edited:

rpm00

Enlightened
Very nice thread. I've been thinking about a malkoff MDC for a while. Is it reverse or forward clicky? I'm put off a bit by the pwm to be honest. Is the hum noticeable in a quiet room?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
4. Malkoff should provide LED options, especially with HCRI option.
The fact that there's no high CRI option makes the MDC a non-starter for me. When I spend that kind of money on a light, I want an emitter that doesn't make me cringe everytime I switch it on.

nbp

Flashaholic
Very nice thread. I've been thinking about a malkoff MDC for a while. Is it reverse or forward clicky? I'm put off a bit by the pwm to be honest. Is the hum noticeable in a quiet room?

Forward clicky. Its a McClicky that is used. I never noticed the PWM, but I don't seem to be that sensitive to it.

scout24

Flashaholic
The.Mtn.Man- MDC 1x123 with 219b available from Illumination Supply... :) 85+ CRI, and I don't cringe a bit. I've got a bunch of 219A and 219B's to compare, and this MDC gives up nothing visually...

rpm00

Enlightened
Forward clicky. Its a McClicky that is used. I never noticed the PWM, but I don't seem to be that sensitive to it.

Thanks. I don't think I can deal with a forward clicky since everything else I have is reverse. So will probably pass on this.

rpm00

Enlightened
Ok I gave in. ;). Couldn't hold out for long. I went with the MD2 turnkey. Although it's forward clicky which drives me nuts there's no mode switching that way. The mode switching with the head and only activation with the clicky should be fine. Looking forward to it.

rpm00

Enlightened
Received my MD2 turnkey today. Wow, very nice! The low is nice, and the high is bright enough for most casual use. I have enough lights that are around 1000 lumen anyway so don't really see the high on the MD2 to be an issue. Built like a tank, ultra smooth threads. Very solid all around. I also especially like the low/high ring in combination with the forward clicky. Very easy to use interface. Loving it so far!

seasam

Newly Enlightened
Received my MD2 turnkey today. Wow, very nice! The low is nice, and the high is bright enough for most casual use. I have enough lights that are around 1000 lumen anyway so don't really see the high on the MD2 to be an issue. Built like a tank, ultra smooth threads. Very solid all around. I also especially like the low/high ring in combination with the forward clicky. Very easy to use interface. Loving it so far!

oh so you're the one that stole that last MD2 turnkey I had my eye on :D

4_degree

Newly Enlightened
I got my father-in-law a AA MDC for Christmas. Played with it a bit to make sure it would work out for him. :)
I personally like the clip WAY better than the McGizmo style clip, but a Haiku it is not. I found switching between modes to be fiddly compared to my Mule and the lack of memory would have irritated me had I kept it for myself.
Maybe I was missing the trick on mode switching, but it's tough when it comes with no paperwork whatsoever. Let's just say I won't buy another.

rpm00

Enlightened
oh so you're the one that stole that last MD2 turnkey I had my eye on :D

Yes I got the last one! :). Sorry man. It will be worth the wait though. The light reminds me of my HDS lights in terms of build and quality. Very nice!

Latest posts