Malkoff Picture Thread

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Yes they are. That is what I am using in my MD3 with a M91BW (Keeppower 2300 mah 18500's). They do well. I have been using a KP 2000mah 18500 in the MD 1.5.

I did a test with them in my md3/m91b and they ran for 1 hour and 20 minutes, full output the whole time of course. Very nice performance.

Do the 2300 mah ones give you any issues with length in the md 1.5?

Kalsu

Enlightened
That is good to know about the run times.

No length issues at all. The KP 2300 mah are actually shorter than the KP 2000 mah batteries. Both work fine in mine.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they are. That is what I am using in my MD3 with a M91BW (Keeppower 2300 mah 18500's). They do well. I have been using a KP 2000mah 18500 in the MD 1.5.

After weeks of using the M91BN/MD3 combo with Keeppower 2300mAh 18500's, and the MD1.5 with same, I'm honestly wondering if I have a use for MD2 or MD4 bodies anymore.

Kalsu

Enlightened
After weeks of using the M91BN/MD3 combo with Keeppower 2300mAh 18500's, and the MD1.5 with same, I'm honestly wondering if I have a use for MD2 or MD4 bodies anymore.
I honestly have had the same thought. Both of my MD2 bodies are just sitting there all empty and alone...for now. I can see me using the MD2 with an 18650 when I am looking for some longer runtimes. Especially with the M61WL. It is hard to beat that M91BW/MD3 combo though.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I struggle to think of a time I've ever needed the full runtime of an 18650 in an MD2 or two in an MD4 without having plenty of time to top off my cells before I use them again though. Could it happen? Yes. Has it ever happened? No. Will I keep an MD2 just in case? Of course I will! :D

Kalsu

Enlightened
Agreed. I struggle to think of a time I've ever needed the full runtime of an 18650 in an MD2 or two in an MD4 without having plenty of time to top off my cells before I use them again though. Could it happen? Yes. Has it ever happened? No. Will I keep an MD2 just in case? Of course I will! :D
Exactly! I was more hesitant about the size difference between the MD2 and MD3. After getting and using the MD3 i greatly prefer it over the MD2. It isn't that much bigger at all and the light that MD3 puts out with an M91 installed is pretty awesome.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came to the same realization. I don't carry an MD2 in a front pants pocket anyway, so the MD3 regardless of the added length seems like an upgrade in every way. It feels better in hand, has much better runtimes on 2 cells, has much wider cell compatibility, etc.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I came to the same realization. I don't carry an MD2 in a front pants pocket anyway, so the MD3 regardless of the added length seems like an upgrade in every way. It feels better in hand, has much better runtimes on 2 cells, has much wider cell compatibility, etc.

That's why md3 is now my overall favorite and the go-to light for work. I carry mine in the left front pocket and the slightly longer length is of no real consequence compared to the md2. Especially not when considering the performance upgrade. Everything the md2 does the md3 does better.

Kalsu

Enlightened
I have a Malkoff tricap that I bought to use on an MD2. For what ever reason I just never really liked it that much. I swapped it onto my MD3 the other day to try it out. I really like it on the MD3 body. It just seems to add a little bit more to grab onto on the end of the MD3.

Kalsu

Enlightened
w07PfdE.jpg

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Malkoff tricap that I bought to use on an MD2. For what ever reason I just never really liked it that much. I swapped it onto my MD3 the other day to try it out. I really like it on the MD3 body. It just seems to add a little bit more to grab onto on the end of the MD3.

I have a few tricaps, but I don't generally like them quite as well as the original tail caps.

I've been using rings formed from Sugru for several years for grip rings. It works well and has proven very durable. On an EDC light, I have to replace the ring about once per year due to pocket wear. I don't think I've had to replace them on any of my other lights yet. It always wears down evenly and never comes loose, chips for flakes.

Here's an example. You can see the seam where the two ends of the rolled Sugru met when I applied it.

52064478698_104250bb9c_b.jpg

Kalsu

Enlightened
I've been using rings formed from Sugru for several years for grip rings. It works well and has proven very durable. On an EDC light, I have to replace the ring about once per year due to pocket wear. I don't think I've had to replace them on any of my other lights yet.

Here's an example. You can see the seam where the two ends of the rolled Sugru met when I applied it.

View attachment 28979
That is interesting. Very creative idea. I had never heard of Sugru until today.

The clip and the tri cap on the MD3 makes for a great combination. I never cared for the standard clip on the MD2 body. I didn't like how high it rode in my pocket. With the MD3 thought the standard clip makes the light ride just right in my pocket (Carhartt left leg pocket).

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
Not all 4000K XP-L have yellow tint. Doing Beamshots on a pure white ceiling this morning, I found that the magenta from my M61N is amazing the SST-20 4000K is more of a whitish yellow. The 4000K and 6200K Hound Dog Supers are showing up more CW and more NW by probably 500 Kelvin. Here are some pictures that might have you confused. All pictures white balance is 5000K manual....

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
M61N 4000K XP-L on the left, MDC li-ion SST20 4000K on the right.

Attachments

• 20220617_093528.jpg
    20220617_093528.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 90