New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correction on this post. The problem was not my switch, it was the PCB kicking in on the off brand 18650 cell. I tried another cell and my MD2 works fine now with the original switch. Still want hurt to get the new one.

Over the weekend, I tried my new direct drive MCE M60 in my MD2, and the older switch could not take the current. Gene is sending me a new switch. I think the new kroll switch can take up to 4 amps current draw, so it should work fine.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very happy with my camo MD2 - not a fan of camo but the splashing is just damn cool. The resistor ring is sweet as well - always a fan on twisting :thumbsup:

Just a quick question:

Do you guys find that when you do a momentary press you get a lower output and then when you click it gets brighter?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
you guys find that when you do a momentary press you get a lower output and then when you click it gets brighter?
I've seen mine do that. Not noticing it now.........
thinking.gif
Maybe the new switch doesn't do it or I put the new one in tighter. Hmmmm.........

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Fast Shipping! I received mine today as well. I really like the Splash/Camo as well. Much darker than in the picture, but beautiful. I hope they are shipping with the new switch. Now time to find an M30W and a battery.

Update: ARG!! I can't find the drop-in!!

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decided to give my MD2 a water torture test and photograph it. Well, I was just splashing it around a bit trying to get some cool shots. They didn't come out as nice as I wanted, I really need a better camera. :p

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I just "installed" two 2 stage rings in my MD2's. They work great, the M60Flood is now my new bedside light! Just added a Surefire ring grip, almost perfect.

Nathan

Enlightened
Got mine today, but it didn't come with a switch. I sent a message to Gene via his website. I'm hoping he can just send me the switch and I can install it myself. It was torture waiting for it to arrive. I had everything ready - M60, 18650, even a diffuser lens to test out. But alas, no switch. I just realized maybe some o-rings are missing too. Is there supposed to be one in the groove below the threads? Should a gasket be in the head?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know the runtimes with Gene's 2 stage in place. Both high and low.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
Gene,
Is there any chance that you might make a small run of 2x AA bodies for these? I'd love a dedicated 2AA body light that could run one of your M30 drop-ins...or better yet, a 3AA body (side-by-side triplet with spacer). Personally, I think a short stubby 3AA-driven host light running a M30W would be an excellent all-around handy light.

Last edited:

Nathan

Enlightened
Got a PM last night from Gene about my issue. He's taking care of it, as I knew he would. :twothumbs

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gene,
Is there any chance that you might make a small run of 2x AA bodies for these? I'd love a dedicated 2AA body light that could run one of your M30 drop-ins...or better yet, a 3AA body (side-by-side triplet with spacer). Personally, I think a short stubby 3AA-driven host light running a M30W would be an excellent all-around handy light.

Yes ! ! !

+1

:twothumbs

_

ecallahan

Enlightened
Got my black MD2 and switch ring today. I am super impressed so far. Everything was clean as can be, and looks solid. The switching ring has just added incredible function to my M30W! The MD 2 is much slimmer than my 6P setups also. The switch feels very nice, although you still get the jump in brightness when letting off the switch and it latches on. Initial impressions of this setup - excellent. My only want would be for a UCL lense of some sort that would fit without exposing the oring. I feel like I am going to end up scratching the module. But I haven't seen any posts where this has been a problem in the MD2. Only time will tell on the long term reliability of the switching ring also. Great setup, and I'll get another setup for one of my other Malkoff modules (after saving up first).

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
Got my black MD2 and switch ring today. I am super impressed so far. Everything was clean as can be, and looks solid. The switching ring has just added incredible function to my M30W! The MD 2 is much slimmer than my 6P setups also. The switch feels very nice, although you still get the jump in brightness when letting off the switch and it latches on. Initial impressions of this setup - excellent. My only want would be for a UCL lense of some sort that would fit without exposing the oring. I feel like I am going to end up scratching the module. But I haven't seen any posts where this has been a problem in the MD2. Only time will tell on the long term reliability of the switching ring also. Great setup, and I'll get another setup for one of my other Malkoff modules (after saving up first).

Switching ring adds a whole new dimension to the Malkoff drop-in. Once I find a diffusing plastic cap that will fit over the bezel, things will be perfect.

Got two thin o-rings, and the UCL lens almost fits now. Some of the red o-ring shows, but I think there is a seal. Will have to test that, especially when the light is on low.

The holster I got fits well and has already been useful. Nite Ize Stretch Lite Holster. It swivels to 8 different positions, so you can walk with the light aimed ahead at the path. Spot moves around a bit, but that won't be an issue with a diffuser.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any pics of the olive MD2? Love to see the shade of the ano...

Really digging the two stage on my m30W :twothumbs

Thanks!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is this "jump in brightness" an issue that everyone is having? It doesn't seem like this should be happening. It sounds like there is a contact issue with the switch that is causing higher resistance for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts