Shop Nerd tricks, tips and tools

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Image-9853934-170222954-2-WebLarge_0_e49773b918ea5246ca687cb45b32ceef_1

Metal shelf provides place to hang mag base upside down. Lots of room to work around the chuck.

:clap:

I like that Barry!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
This is the fastest & easiest way I've found to set the QCTP at 90° to the chuck & almost exactly parallel to the bed. Really useful when boring a hole that's the minimum diameter for the bar being used. Loosen the QCTP bolt so it rotates freely, place a 1-2-3 block against a piece of round stock that is freshly faced off and move the carriage forward until the QCTP is in full contact with the 1-2-3 block.

I've checked this method by traversing an indicator along the length of a boring bar & it's more than close enough for everything I do. Bar will likely still be out of square by .005"-.010" over 6" but that's about as small as a pimple on a elephant's butt.
Barry that is AWESOME! So quick and elegant- I'm going to go try it right now!!
Thanks!
EDIT: Ooops and I like the steel shelf too- light over / mag base under: nice use of space...

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Needed an industrial strength paper towel holder & found a small flat piece & some 3/4" pipe in the scrap pile. Tack welded the pipe to the plate in three places with the TIG torch:

Image-9853934-170789870-2-WebLarge_0_e827bffaaaf044bea9043b9402385d35_1

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Image-9853934-171015335-2-Web_0_d3d87c4f5ffd68bb4fc9e2ef31b5b03d_1

Not sure how many machinists cover up the lathe (or any other oily machine) but mine is either in use or it's covered.
In addition to OCD :)crackup:) the cover keeps airborne dust & grit from settling on the ways. After every job & sometimes during a lengthy job the ways are re oiled. Without a cover they will attract & hold stuff that can shorten the life of the bed.

The cover is made by HTC Products & it was purchased during the 1980's. Shows no wear at all, pretty amazing because it has been folded (when the lathe is in use) & unfolded (to cover the lathe) around a million times. If $25 or $30 is too much to spend there are any number of other covers that can work, something like an old bed sheet is better than nothing.

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/tsmc.html

The HTC ToolSaver has rubberized magnets sewn into each corner & the magnets are as weak as convenience store coffee. IMO a better solution for keeping the cover in place is the use of a few "blueprint magnets" (ceramic magnets in a steel cover with handle). McMaster has them for about $5 each.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
BBQ grill covers found at the local big box stores work great too. Probably not available for 13x & larger machines though. I just use old beach towels as they are on their way to getting thrown out.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I use bed sheets once my wife decides they don't look nice enough, which means they are "perfect" for covering greasy machinery ;)

Will

kuksul08

Enlightened
This is the fastest & easiest way I've found to set the QCTP at 90° to the chuck & almost exactly parallel to the bed. Really useful when boring a hole that's the minimum diameter for the bar being used. Loosen the QCTP bolt so it rotates freely, place a 1-2-3 block against a piece of round stock that is freshly faced off and move the carriage forward until the QCTP is in full contact with the 1-2-3 block.

I've checked this method by traversing an indicator along the length of a boring bar & it's more than close enough for everything I do. Bar will likely still be out of square by .005"-.010" over 6" but that's about as small as a pimple on a elephant's butt.

In the past I have run the qctp up against the face of the chuck in between the jaws, seems to work okay. The issue I have is when you tighten down the top nut, it tends to rotate the qctp, so you can't make it too tight.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I've never checked the accuracy of this method, but I normally extend the quill of the tailstock and bump the qctp (with tool) up against the quill. However, about 90% of the time ill just eyeball it :)

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The issue I have is when you tighten down the top nut, it tends to rotate the qctp, so you can't make it too tight.

Try applying a light coat of way oil under the nut or check if you have excessive oil or grease under the TP. My TP never moves no matter how light or hard I crank down on the nut. Even my China TP on my old lathe never moved when tightening the nut & it did not even use a flange nut & washer.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this has been shared before but I stumbled on an iPhone application called iEngineer and I think it's worth considering.
Had to pay for the Metric screws (you shouldn't need it, the US screws are free) but I think it's a good companion for drilling taping torquing etc.
The app itself is pretty neat IMO.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here's a simple & easy one that costs just about nothing. Whenever I part something that has a through hole, this is how I catch it.

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6549.jpg