What did you use your flashlight for today?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I thought you had elves for that sort of task. 😁

Today I used my Sofirn C01 Sophia to add fill light to objects with small print so I could see it better.
The 7 or 8 lumens adds just enough light.

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Reached for my main work-light, Feit Electric 3C LED model and went outside to do some checking.... after a Corrections officer swore she saw the very first lamp-post in the parking lot, with an extension cord coming out of it. Wondering if maintenance was using power or if someone was stealing power from it. So, out I go to check an hour before the sun comes up.

Very first lamp-post doesn't narrow it down since there are four entrances into the massive parking lot. So, I'm checking all of the ones that could be thought of as "first." Including all the ones by the pedestrian entrances. And the ones directly outside the doors of all the entrances into the building. Well, it soon becomes obvious that we have two distinct styles of lamp-posts on the property and that neither one of them have any spot where you can plug in an extension cord!

She was too old to be playing a childish prank on me. Why do I always get the nut-jobs coming up to me to ask me nonsensical questions, or report their delusions to me? Why!?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found out a dirty industry secret. You know how those types of ATMs are bolted to the floor and made exceptionally heavy to prevent theft? Well, the weight part is spot-on. But the bolts literally consist of two small bolts, bolted through the floor. And not that far down either. One was sheared off, but the other bolt was still barely sticking up through the floor. Rather eye-opening.
Security in USA is only a façade.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Security in USA is only a façade.
Not when I'm on the job.
But yeah, not the first corrections officer I've dealt with who was delusional as hell. At least this one is harmless compared to the Black retiree who wanted to put everyone in concentration camps until they thought like he did. Worst part was, he was actively trying to recruit me a few months before he retired.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sitting at my desk at home and eating dinner, literally just used my Husky 4AA LED light that lives above my desk to.... see where that darn partial french fry landed; after it fell from my hand. It's dark down there, and you're not seeing $#&% without a good light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
This morning I turned on the water to the outside faucets. I used my Maglite ML25LT to inspect the water line as coursed its way through the attic, to make sure there were no leaks due to bursting. I used the ML25LT because it was handy, and because it is a thrower and would work perfectly at 25 feet away.

I used the silver one because... why not?

1713183302952.png

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I've spent the weekend doing some spring cleaning, and I was chasing dust bunnies in my bedroom last night, using a Fenix TK45 and a Fenix HP30R v.2 headlamp.

Wasn't so bad on the shaggy carpet, or even underneath the bed, but when I started moving the furniture around (a small desk and a self-made wardrobe closet, both on custom fitted swivel casters)...damn, apparently even dust bunnies do do it like rabbits! >-<
I swear even the vaccum cleaner gave a brief, strangled gasp when I saw how bad it was behind and underneath the closet.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I was shown an alternate route to my brother's house last week. It's so new that one of the roads, newly opened and paved, hasn't even been drawn on OpenStreetMap (screw Google Maps) yet. My SIL likes that route because it's always peaceful, as it cuts through two developing neighborhoods and leads away from major thoroughfares.

That new road sits quite literally at the edge of the urban perimeter, and being new it has no lampposts yet, so at night it is as dark as any rural road. A few nights ago I was practicing that route, and I shone my Convoy M2 on 100% power across the undeveloped land and woods. Even if the SST20 in it is no Osram flat white in throw, it still has very useful and satisfying throw, and it easily lit up trees and bushes >150m away.

As for why, well, because I could :grin2:

iacchus

Enlightened
Checking for leaks in a nitrogen distribution manifold I built maybe 15 years ago. Found the leak with my light and a bit of soapy water. Fixed it, re-pressurized and found a new leak..fixed that one too, re-pressurized and you guessed it..new leak.
Rinse and repeat a few dozen times.
I really really shoulda just scrapped it and built a new one. I finally got it sorted, but I might go ahead and build a new one anyway, just out of spite.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Checking for leaks in a nitrogen distribution manifold I built maybe 15 years ago. Found the leak with my light and a bit of soapy water. Fixed it, re-pressurized and found a new leak..fixed that one too, re-pressurized and you guessed it..new leak.
I really really shoulda just scrapped it and built a new one. I finally got it sorted, but I might go ahead and build a new one anyway, just out of spite.
And to prevent new leaks in the old fragilized structure. By now it's safe to assume the whole thing is compromised and a total loss to repair.

...and if that SST's like the ones I'm using, I bet they looked pretty 'real', too.
It is! It has very nice color rendering and compared to direct noon sunlight, it's slightly violet, so for sure negative duv. I only didn't use it as an EDC because it's too throwy (and because the M2's waterproofing is nonexistent at the bezel, but that's a topic for another context). This SST20 was far and wide my best cool white emitter until I got a 519A 5700K.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the very last person to 'pry', but I am curious: Do you work in an industrial environment, and if so, what type / sector?

iacchus

Enlightened
I'm the very last person to 'pry', but I am curious: Do you work in an industrial environment, and if so, what type / sector?
I run an environmental lab. The manifold was for a bank of nitrogen evaporators.

My days are a weird mix of paperwork, chemistry, and tearing apart stupidly expensive equipment to figure out why it stopped working. Sometimes I even get them back together again!

Poppy

Flashaholic
This Sunday I got together with my son and a couple of his friends to troubleshoot why his 4.3L inboard outboard merc-cruizer wouldn't run. They used a flashlight (I don't know which one) to trace some color-coded wires. We found that it didn't have spark, and no power to the ignition coil. When we jumpered 12 volts to it, she started up but didn't run well.

After checking for fuel, we pulled the carb apart, (which had been rebuilt the previous year), and re-adjusted the floats. Finally it was decided to run fuel to it with a funnel and a hose, rather than from the gas tank, and she started and ran well. A piece of paper was found to be clogging the fuel line.

He had it to a marine mechanic last year who gave up on it.

I have been so happy that we got it running, that I can't stop thinking about it.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
This Sunday I got together with my son and a couple of his friends to troubleshoot why his 4.3L inboard outboard merc-cruizer wouldn't run. They used a flashlight (I don't know which one) to trace some color-coded wires. We found that it didn't have spark, and no power to the ignition coil. When we jumpered 12 volts to it, she started up but didn't run well.

After checking for fuel, we pulled the carb apart, (which had been rebuilt the previous year), and re-adjusted the floats. Finally it was decided to run fuel to it with a funnel and a hose, rather than from the gas tank, and she started and ran well. A piece of paper was found to be clogging the fuel line.

He had it to a marine mechanic last year who gave up on it.

I have been so happy that we got it running, that I can't stop thinking about it.
Legend! Good for you. Jobs that end like that are so satisfying!