18650 Battery Test

crawler

Newly Enlightened
The 17670 cells from DX might NOT fit into your RC-F4 (you may need to replace the plastic wrap with sticky tape).

i got the 17670s from DX......very tight fit on the F4! i'm definitely picking up some RCR-123As. any recommendations?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of interest. so where is no.8 and 9?

thank you
No1 = As near as I can tell I burned through 2200mA
No2 = As near as I can tell I burned through 2300mA
No3 = As near as I can tell I burned through 2300mA
No4 = As near as I can tell I burned through 1600mA
No5 = As near as I can tell I burned through 1500mA
No6 = As near as I can tell I burned through 2100mA
No7 = As near as I can tell I burned through 2200mA
No8 = As near as I can tell I burned through 1400mA

Last edited:

acbezzi

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, i´ve just entered the "18650 batteries" world, so please be patient if i ask something stupid.
i just bought a Fenix TK12 R5 (280 lum) and I'm not sure whiich batteries would be best for it. if I'm not mistaken, most flashlights you guys have tested are more powerfull (drain more energy) than mine. so i couldnt really interpret the charts to conclude which of those batteries would work better in my flashlight. i was thinking about buying the protected ultrafire 3000 mAh (red / white) from DX. what do u guys think?
thanx a lot

Burgess

Flashaholic
hello acbezzi --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

To answer yer' question, i'll make this Real Simple:

Batteries: AW Protected Cells

Charger: Pila IBC (intelligent battery charger)

You're Welcome.

;)
_

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi guys, i´ve just entered the "18650 batteries" world, so please be patient if i ask something stupid.
i just bought a Fenix TK12 R5 (280 lum) and I'm not sure whiich batteries would be best for it. if I'm not mistaken, most flashlights you guys have tested are more powerfull (drain more energy) than mine. so i couldnt really interpret the charts to conclude which of those batteries would work better in my flashlight. i was thinking about buying the protected ultrafire 3000 mAh (red / white) from DX. what do u guys think?
thanx a lot

The UF BRC3000 are rubbish ...
If you need to buy from DX the Red and Black Trustfires ..

acbezzi

Newly Enlightened
Burgess, from what i´ve read in the forum, AWs and Pila seem to be considered THE best batteries and charger. the problem is that i live in brazil and i cant find them for sale here :(. DX is my only option and they dont sell them. i´ve already ordered Ultra Fire WF 139 charger (sku.1251) but i havent ordered the batteries yet. i´ve seen good and bad reviews on this charger, do u think it´s TOO bad???

Old4570, you think those TrusFire u recomended, are the best for me (TK12 R5 280lum) ???

thanks

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWs cells are available in his Marketplace sales thread or through select online vendors such as 4Sevens and Lighthound.

If DX is your only option for batteries, I second old4570's recommendation of the Red and Black Trustfire cells.

I've got some of them that I use regularly in some Solarforce L2 lights, one of them that draws around 1.4 amps. No issues with them.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burgess, from what i´ve read in the forum, AWs and Pila seem to be considered THE best batteries and charger. the problem is that i live in brazil and i cant find them for sale here :(. DX is my only option and they dont sell them. i´ve already ordered Ultra Fire WF 139 charger (sku.1251) but i havent ordered the batteries yet. i´ve seen good and bad reviews on this charger, do u think it´s TOO bad???

Old4570, you think those TrusFire u recomended, are the best for me (TK12 R5 280lum) ???

thanks

WF-139 :twothumbs as far as cheap chargers go .. It is one of the better ones .

The trustfires are good , I dont have any , but all who use them seem to like them , so if your buying from DX , yes , buy the Trustfires .

If you check my battery tests , [ SIG ] check out the WOW18650 , check the dimensions though , I dont have a problem with mine , but if you have a tight body ?

BEST ? Thats very subjective , your light is highly regulated so the current draw should not be an issue , so it comes down to capacity .
There are quite a few batteries out there with better capacity then the AW2600 , just shop carefully .

acbezzi

Newly Enlightened
i was checking the sites black rose suggested and i found out that they do ship to brazil. so, i´m considering buying a couple of AW's 2600 mH. do u think UF WF 139 could damage them??? they are more expensive than the charger. what i mean is, as i´m gonna use a WF139, do u think its worth to invest in AW's or i should just buy inexpensive DX's batteries?

Last edited:

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Hey old4570 - which would you choose - the Shekor or the WF139 charger? I thought from another post of yours that you were pretty impressed with the Shekor.

You are a wonderful source of expertise on these items and I was ready to pull the trigger on the Shekor until I saw this.

Thanks again to you and all of the subject matter experts on CPF!

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey old4570 - which would you choose - the Shekor or the WF139 charger? I thought from another post of yours that you were pretty impressed with the Shekor.

You are a wonderful source of expertise on these items and I was ready to pull the trigger on the Shekor until I saw this.

Thanks again to you and all of the subject matter experts on CPF!

I would say it would very much depend on what your planning on charging , if your talking 18650 , then the WF-139 holds its own rather well .
And the one thing many seem to forget , the WF-139 also terminates on completion , it does not trickle charge [ or at least mine does not ] .
Cant vouch for the earlier revisions of the WF-139 though , but the current versions seem to be all that .

Oh and Im not an expert :whistle: , just a flashaholic into his 2 year of lightholism :oops:

Last edited:

malow

Newly Enlightened
Burgess, from what i´ve read in the forum, AWs and Pila seem to be considered THE best batteries and charger. the problem is that i live in brazil and i cant find them for sale here :(. DX is my only option and they dont sell them

UH UH, another brazilian!!! ;)

i recommend http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105 charger, and as said, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392batteries.

best 18650 for a cheap price. just charge it in a non-flammable place ;)

a1penguin

Newly Enlightened
UH UH, another brazilian!!! ;)

i recommend http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105 charger, and as said, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392batteries.

best 18650 for a cheap price. just charge it in a non-flammable place ;)

I've had the sku.6105 charger for a year and am happy with it. Batteries come out of the charger at 4.20 volts. If I needed to purchase more 18650s, I would get the sku.20392. I haven't had any problems with my sku.5790 batteries. I take care not to run them down too low and I only charge batteries on my kitchen counter when I am nearby. To keep from overcharging too badly, I recommend setting a timer and check the charger. I also replaced my fire extinguisher which after 10 years was telling me it was low.

I'm about to invest in RCR123 and I'll end up getting the WF-139.

acbezzi

Newly Enlightened
i think i´m gonna buy a pair of each (AW"s and TF's) and compare. maybe i´ll post my conclusions.
thank u all for the advice:thumbsup:

Nil Einne

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a bit late but FWIW, I personally in a similar situation to you have chosen the black flame Trustfire (DX 20392) as others have recommended but the Shekor charger instead of the WF-139. I like the charging characteristic particular if you mod it (see the thread in this forum) although even the default seems okay. It may undercharge the batteries a bit particularly if you don't mod it, how much that annoys you may affect your decision.

The WF-139 seems okay but I personally am unsure about the HXY charger on DX (sku.6105). Some recent reports (e.g. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229923) suggest it trickles and overcharges e.g. up to 4.25V as it doesn't terminate properly. Also while some earlier reports suggest a proper CC/CV profile, this appears to be no longer seems the case (of course this is not true of the WF-139 either).

I admit I have been somewhat confused until recently as I've seen people calling sku.13820 a European plug variant of SKU.6105. However looking more closely I'm not convinced this is true, the cradle design is similar but is clearly different, the LEDs are different (square versus round) and the model number is somewhat different (the European plug version is XXC, the US plug one is HXY which is from Hexinyu http://www.hexinyu.com/products.asp?groupID=130). Of course it could still be the manufactured by the same people and may be the cradle design of the US plug one has changed too but I wonder if the XXC is actually a clone. In any case I've seen similar reports of sky.13820, i.e. original version obeyed CC/CV and terminate properly, more recent ones don't and trickle charging (see my post in the DX forum for 13820 and note from the pictures in particular which demonstrate some with the 13820 cradle design did work better).

Note there's no guarantee the Shekor charger will stay good, things may change as for example the HXY charger sold on DX and as for example the WF-139 did (but mostly in a good way) but at the current time it appears a decent cheap charger IMHO. Not available on DX however but I presume Kaidomain ship to Brazil too.

Last edited:

Lupino.86

Newly Enlightened
The generic 18650 is defend well :twothumbs
I agree this behavior because I have this generic battery and I have tested :thumbsup: