18650 mAh ratings?

DaveTN

Newly Enlightened
There are a lot of options in batteries.

The ProTac HL 5-X USB light I just ordered comes with two Streamlight 18650 USB Li-Ion protected 3.7V 2600 mAh rechargeable batteries.

In looking for replacement batteries I'm considering the ..

"3500mAh 18650 ORBTRONIC Two PROTECTED Rechargeable Button Top High Performance Li-ion Batteries 3.7V For High Power 18650 Flashlights - NOT for ecig devices"

With the same voltage ratings I'm assuming the higher mAh rated batteries will be fine for use in this light. Is that good assumption to make?

I'm ordering a charger so I don't really care that they are USB batteries or not.

It doesn't appear Streamlight offers anything other than the 2600 mAh.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
There are a lot of options in batteries.

The ProTac HL 5-X USB light I just ordered comes with two Streamlight 18650 USB Li-Ion protected 3.7V 2600 mAh rechargeable batteries.

In looking for replacement batteries I'm considering the ..

"3500mAh 18650 ORBTRONIC Two PROTECTED Rechargeable Button Top High Performance Li-ion Batteries 3.7V For High Power 18650 Flashlights - NOT for ecig devices"

With the same voltage ratings I'm assuming the higher mAh rated batteries will be fine for use in this light. Is that good assumption to make?

I'm ordering a charger so I don't really care that they are USB batteries or not.

It doesn't appear Streamlight offers anything other than the 2600 mAh.

Them 2600mah cells are awesome and they went with them for a reason. I have learned that the very high mah cells used in multi cell lights will first fade faster and will start the light into low volt mode sooner than the streamlight 2600. My MT40GT flashes on 3400mah cells in shorter time than the 2600mah streamlight cells run out of juice. The 2600mah SL cells also run full lumens longer. No fade, longer full lumen run time. Yup, I'll take it over a paper spec higher mah faster fade goes into a blink mode cell any day. Higher mah isn't always better.

Only good use ive seen for high mah 18650 cells in single cell lights on the 500-800 lumen range. Same lumens in multi cell setups are better if used with the SL brand cells. Real good cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sanyo UR18650FM 2600mAh cells are good cells, but they're somewhat dated now. They showed in some tests, to hold a higher voltage relative to some of the other cells from a few years back, but we're in a whole 'nother ballpark these days.

Go with the 3500s, which are probably either Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-G, or the LG MJ1s, which are hybrid 10A continuous late generation cells.

You probably don't need 10A, but we can now have our cake and eat it too.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
Less voltage sag is more important imo.

Absolutely. With 3400mAh vs 3500mAh cells I don't think I'll ever use that last 100mAh. I use the 3500mAh because of it's overall performance in general.

I rarely even get below 50% when using lights, let along killing it completely. Maybe if I'm ever trapped in a cave for weeks.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sanyo NCR18650GA cell is perfect for just about all flashlight uses. It has a high 3500mAh capacity, and allows for a 10A drain. Even at full output using direct-drive or FET, most lights won't use more than 5A. The only lights where you'll need a high-drain cells are multi-emitter pocket-rockets.

That said, the Samsung ICR18650-30Q is a great all-round cell. 15A drain, and still a very good 3000mAh capacity. Slightly less sag than the GA cell, so you'll get almost as much run-time in a high-output light.

I measure about 18% longer run-time in a regulated light (Zebralight) using the GA cell vs. the 30Q, at modestly-high output.