18650 - more cheap brands

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to tell if a cell is protected and not a fake by looking at it or does it have to be pulled apart?

For protection, besides visual confirmation of existence of protecion circuitry, one can test functionality of over/undervoltage and overcurrent protection.

As for fakes, some are so good that you may need nontrivial testing to notice the difference in performance, e.g. accelerated lifetime testing to notice the quicker rise in IR that we saw in the above graphs. But some important things cannot be (nondestructively) tested, e.g. construction quality. For example, manufacturers of fake cells typically have much lower quality control. Many ventings are due to metal contaminant particles which eventually lead to internal shorts (and due to cost constraints, the fake versions may lack features such as ceramic separators that help to safely control internal shorts).

Not to mention that some rewrappers use low-grade versions of top-tier cells - which would normally be rejected by most reputable vendors. These could have performance and/or safety problems (e.g. they may have been from batches that were recalled after contaminants were suspected to be the source of ventings, such as in many of the well-known laptop battery recalls).

Dave Dunn

Newly Enlightened
If you are buying li-ion from Australia I would advise purchasing from eBay seller supersports600. Good prices, quality cells, and fast free delivery (my last purchase arrived in 2 days).

Thanks,I checked them out,only good quality stocked,and being in Aus any parcel should arrive in 3 days or less as advertised by Australia post. The cheapest batteries stocked are "4 x LG 18650 MH1 3200mAh HIGH CURRENT rechargeable Lithium ion batteries 10Amp" @ AU $38.95, working out at $9.74 ea,followed by "5x Samsung 18650 INR-25R 2500mAh HIGH CURRENT rechargeable Lithium battery TABS" @ AU $49.95, working out at $9.99 ea. That's cheaper than most prices on ebay.com.au,but still not breaking the $10 each mark by much,it seems to be so hard to do if you live in Aus! I would have peace of mind regarding the batteries being genuine and wouldn't have to wait a month for them to arrive though.so that seller is at the top of my list,mind you,on a disability pension $40 or $50 is about all I can spend on hobbies a fortnight,if I go without my fortnightly carton of beer I might have 1 battery for each torch I want to use in a few months! I have 106 AA and AAA Kodak alkaline batteries I bought for $35 when I started buying torches,looks like I'll be using the cheap torches for a while yet! :)

ven

Flashaholic
1 x 18650 will last longer, depending on chemistry 300- 500 full cycles or maybe 1000-1200 part cycles..................:)

The LG and 25R's are good cells.

Dave Dunn

Newly Enlightened
Dave-have a look at [ Fasttech ] you can buy original 4 x Sanyo protected 18650 3400mah for about $25 aus delivered.

Its not worth buying cheaper brands for any purpose.

I checked these out just now,they seem too cheap. All the pics in the ad seem to avoid showing printing on the batteries,have these been confirmed as genuine? I really wouldn't know myself,I'm always suspicious when things are more than 25% cheaper than the average. I'm not doubting you Swan,and I thank you for the advice,but I know there are people on here that are very much experts at spotting fakes,it would be nice to have some of them give their feedback for the sake of the whole CPF community.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Can't say for fasttech, but I bought some of high current discharge LG's and Samsungs on Gearbest, and they appear to be genuine - wrapper quality, discharge curves, etc, indicates that they are genuine.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 x 18650 will last longer, depending on chemistry 300- 500 full cycles or maybe 1000-1200 part cycles..................:)

The LG and 25R's are good cells.

This is particularly true since it takes three alkaline batteries to equal one 18650 voltage-wise. So your 106 alkaline batteries against an 18650 really amounts to 35 - and that's just from the standpoint of voltage. From the standpoint of energy capacity, things look even worse for alkaline batteries. Generally, four AA batteries store the energy of one high capacity 18650. BUT, if you try to draw any kind of reasonable current from an alkaline battery, capacity drops ALOT. it doesn't drop nearly as much with Li-Ion. So for any kind of realistic current draw seen with modern flashlights, you are going to be replacing LOTS of alkaline batteries prematurely. In other words, you won't get even CLOSE to the use of one 18650 with 106 alkaline batteries.

swan

Banned
I checked these out just now,they seem too cheap. All the pics in the ad seem to avoid showing printing on the batteries,have these been confirmed as genuine? I really wouldn't know myself,I'm always suspicious when things are more than 25% cheaper than the average. I'm not doubting you Swan,and I thank you for the advice,but I know there are people on here that are very much experts at spotting fakes,it would be nice to have some of them give their feedback for the sake of the whole CPF community.

I have bought Panasonics, Sanyos, AWT, Nitecores,Jet beam cells over the last 4 years ALL ARE GENUINE-

My latest order was for 4 x Soshine 10440,s at $9 [ great 2amp protected cells only 44mm long]- this came in 8 days delivered.

Put CPF for a further 5% discount- i have been very happy with the service and genuine cells that i have purchased and they are my first stop for genuine cells.

The Sanyo cells that i mentioned [ i bought 8 x of these] are good because they are button top , have the newest protection pcb, only on the positive end which means they will fit almost all lights because they are one of the shortest bt at only 68mm long. You can pay $30 EACH for the same sanyo/panasonic cell locally,with a different wrapper.

I have purchased many items from fasttech over 4 years everything has been genuine including my new Liitokala lii 500 charger which is very good.
With our dollar tanked and you do not mind waiting 2 weeks average for delivery, why not save some cash.

tonym1

Newly Enlightened
Not by looking at it, but you can do it without taking it apart. However, you do need test equipment and you have to know what you're doing.

By definition, testing a cell pushes it towards its limits. This can cause a counterfeit cell with fake ratings to fail, and the failure may be catastrophic. The "Smoke and Fire" subforum has many frightening examples of what "catastrophic failure" can mean.

If you're not comfortable with this stuff, you are much better off finding a reputable supplier and paying a bit extra for quality cells of known provenance. It helps if you can find a good supplier in your own country, because you'll have better recourse to your local consumer protection laws and easier returns if the cells do prove to be fakes or defective.

I'm not very technical when it comes to batteries and electronics so I'll take your advice and only buy recognised brands from a local dealer. I have only bought Panasonic and Sanyo protected 18650 batteries for my Fenix lights and have a few Titanium D cells for my Maglites

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
I tried the cheap GTF 14500 batteries - the ones that say 2500 mAh (HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!) They measured anywhere from 360 to 480. I took a Sharpie and wrote an "O" after the "GTF".

Latest posts