18650 recommendation

bitcat70

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I was looking for a new good flashlight for a while and after reading some posts I decided to get a Zebra Light SC600. So I'm waiting for it now but I will need to get a battery for it. Apparently it uses an 18650 which I've never heard of before. It looks like it's a lithium rechargeable (it will be my first lithium powered flashlight) so I read some posts and I've come across some horror stories. How do I avoid becoming a victim? Are there recommended brands/web stores? What about safe practices? If it's a rechargeable battery what charger do I use with it? Thanks for any input you may provide.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite all of the "bad" stories that you may have read, Lithium Ion 18650's are safe to use. But you really must read up and get educated on the batteries. There are many good batteries and I am sure that many will chime in. AW, Redilast, Callies Kustom just to name a few, all make good quality "PROTECTED" batteries in 18650 size format. There are more as well. Many have had great luck with the Trustfire Flames. Google "Battery University" and read up on the safety if you haven't already. As long as you are aware of the safety and handling characteristics of these batteries, they will last and you will be safe, and you will have good luck with the flashlight and batteries.

If you look at a thread a few up from this started by member Samgab, you will get a good read on some of the testing that these batteries go through.

Li-ion inherent safety: What do Sony's abuse tests reveal?

Last edited:

bitcat70

Newly Enlightened
So I did some research and got an AW 18650/2900 Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery (Product Code 18650-2900) from oveready.com and the Xtar WP2 II Li-Ion Charger from sbflashlights.com. After charging it I put it in the flashlight... and it's amazing! This is the best flashlight I have ever owned or even seen!:) This battery/charger combination looks good to me. Anybody want to chime in? What about the sellers? Are there any favorites?

Chidwack

Enlightened
You should be happy with your choices. I don't have a Zebralight SC600 but it gets great reviews here. I do have some AW 2900 batteries and they do work great. My lights don't seem to heat up near as much when using AW, Redilast and Callie Kustoms batteries. I'm only going to use these three brands from now on because I just two of the cheap Chinese batteries die on me. One Ultrafire 3000 and one Trustfire 2400 gray. I just ordered 6 new Kallie Kustoms 3100 batteries. I have been trying them out the last few days and they seem good. Listed at 3100 mAh where the other two brands that I have are rated at 2900. So far, I am getting just a little more burn time from the AW and Redelast 2900s than the Callie Kustoms 3100 but these last batteries are new and just may need to be recharged a few times to come up to full potential.

bitcat70

Newly Enlightened
For the uninitiated it can be bewildering. So many companies vying for your money... not all of them paying much attention to quality. Which is unnerving given the possible issues with these batteries if mishandled. That's why it's so great sites like CPF exist, yay! It allows one to sift through the noise. Thanks all!

Latest posts